Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Paschen notation in atomic spectroscopy

1. Nov 21, 2014 #1
    I was trying to understand electronic excitation in Xenon. Most of the research journals are denoting different excitation levels in terms of Paschen notation, which i think, is generally used to represent excited states of inert gases. Can someone please explain how to use this paschen notation ?? Kindly help!!!!!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 24, 2014 #2

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

http://archive.today/pwve [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  4. Jan 9, 2015 #3

Quantum Defect

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Labeling of states in the heavier rare gases often use a different notation, because j-j coupling is a better method to use to describe the states. Here, you will see things like:

Xe 6s[3/2]_1^o --> excited electron is nominally a 6s electron (j=1/2). The Xe+ p^5 ion core has j=3/2. The _1 subscript outside the bracket indicates that the j=1/2 of the excited electron and the j=3/2 of the core combine to give a state with J=1. I think that C. E. Moore discusses this nomenclature in her famous tables ... it has been a while, but that is where I believe that I learned about these.

Condon & Shortley "The Theory of Atomic Spectra" have some good discussion of the energy levels of the heavier rare gases.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook