Paschen notation in atomic spectroscopy

In summary, the conversation discusses electronic excitation in Xenon and the use of Paschen notation to represent excited states in inert gases. The speaker asks for an explanation on how to use this notation and mentions that j-j coupling may be a better method for describing states in heavier rare gases. They also reference C. E. Moore's tables and Condon & Shortley's book for further discussion on this topic.
vrinda mukund
I was trying to understand electronic excitation in Xenon. Most of the research journals are denoting different excitation levels in terms of Paschen notation, which i think, is generally used to represent excited states of inert gases. Can someone please explain how to use this paschen notation ?? Kindly help!

Physics news on Phys.org
http://archive.today/pwve [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
vrinda mukund said:
I was trying to understand electronic excitation in Xenon. Most of the research journals are denoting different excitation levels in terms of Paschen notation, which i think, is generally used to represent excited states of inert gases. Can someone please explain how to use this paschen notation ?? Kindly help!
Labeling of states in the heavier rare gases often use a different notation, because j-j coupling is a better method to use to describe the states. Here, you will see things like:

Xe 6s[3/2]_1^o --> excited electron is nominally a 6s electron (j=1/2). The Xe+ p^5 ion core has j=3/2. The _1 subscript outside the bracket indicates that the j=1/2 of the excited electron and the j=3/2 of the core combine to give a state with J=1. I think that C. E. Moore discusses this nomenclature in her famous tables ... it has been a while, but that is where I believe that I learned about these.

Condon & Shortley "The Theory of Atomic Spectra" have some good discussion of the energy levels of the heavier rare gases.

Likes NIRANJAN14

1. What is Paschen notation in atomic spectroscopy?

Paschen notation in atomic spectroscopy is a shorthand way of describing the energy levels of an atom. It uses a combination of letters and numbers to represent the principal quantum number (n), orbital angular momentum quantum number (l), and total angular momentum quantum number (j) of an electron in an atom.

2. How is Paschen notation used in atomic spectroscopy?

Paschen notation is used to describe the energy levels and spectral lines of an atom. It allows scientists to easily identify and label the different energy levels and transitions between them, which helps in the analysis and interpretation of atomic spectra.

3. What is the significance of Paschen notation in atomic spectroscopy?

Paschen notation is significant because it provides a standardized way of describing and labeling the energy levels and transitions in atomic spectra. This allows for easier comparison between different elements and their spectra, making it a valuable tool in the field of atomic spectroscopy.

4. How is Paschen notation different from other notations in atomic spectroscopy?

Paschen notation is different from other notations, such as the Bohr notation, in that it includes the total angular momentum quantum number (j). This provides more detailed information about the electron's state and allows for a more precise description of the energy levels and transitions.

5. Can Paschen notation be used for all elements in atomic spectroscopy?

Yes, Paschen notation can be used for all elements in atomic spectroscopy. It is a universal notation system that can be applied to any element, as long as the energy levels and transitions are known. However, for more complex atoms, other notations may be used in addition to Paschen notation to fully describe the electron configuration and spectral lines.