Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Passing a black kole from double slit experiment setup

1. Mar 20, 2014 #1
    passing a black hole from double slit experiment setup

Hello,

Theoretically any object can convert into black hole by compressing its mass below some radius( describe by Schwarzschild Radius). Suppose one of this object after becoming black hole have radius
    which is comparable to atoms and nucleus radius. Now my question is what will happen if we pass this object into double slit experiment setup (single black hole at a time). Shall we get interference pattern on detector wall because of its radius in quantum domain ( say we somehow know when on detector screen this black hole will hit) or simple particle like pattern (i.e. classical way ) because of mass associated with that black hole???

Please understand hole in place of kole in thread title

Last edited: Mar 20, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 20, 2014 #2

UltrafastPED

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The object size is the same as the slit; the tidal forces will rip the device apart!

Your question should be: if you have a really tiny black hole, will it be a classical particle, or will it exhibit quantum behavior?

Using the formula: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schwarzschild_radius#Formula_for_the_Schwarzschild_radius

For the "minimum sized black hole": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Micro_black_hole#Minimum_mass_of_a_black_hole
    So by this reasoning the minimum size would have a mass of 22 micrograms; you can calculate its radius.

You should also consider Hawking radiation, a quantum effect:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawking_radiation#Black_hole_evaporation

So how long will your micro-black hole exist? Will it have time to make it from production to the recording device?

You now have lots of formulas to evaluate!

Since you are proposing atomic scales, why not take a definite case: a common salt crystal. You can look up the spacing, and you can find the dissociation energy here:
    http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/molecule/boneng.html

Last edited: Mar 20, 2014
  4. Mar 20, 2014 #3
    There is no such thing as quantum domain. ALL scales are quantum in nature, ALL objects are quantum in nature, ALL of physics is quantum in nature.

5. Mar 20, 2014 #4

UltrafastPED

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Is this a helpful comment? There are many effects which can be fully explained via classical reasoning - Newton's Laws of Motion still hold for objects like your shoes and socks!

Sure, I know that you, personally, have a de Broglie wavelength - when you are moving - but is it measurable? Do we see diffraction when you run through a double door? I don't think so.

Hence my reframing of the question.

6. Mar 20, 2014 #5
    I think my comment is very helpful. The OP thinks Quantum Mechanics stops working outside some kind of domain. That's incorrect and I pointed that out. If the question was about the domain of Classical Mechanics it would be OK since Classical Mechanics indeed stops working outside of its domain of application. It's not proper to think of Classical Mechanics as being outside of the domain of Quantum Mechanics. Classical Mechanics can be derived from Quantum Mechanics, but Quantum Mechanics cannot be derived from Classical Mechanics.

7. Mar 21, 2014 #6

From schwarzschild radius I've found that radius for 22 micrograms black hole is 32.60 * 10^ -36 meter and time to evaporate is 864.2924*10 ^ -25 second. So I think time is very small to evaporate the whole black hole, But again my question is that if we take "ideal" condition that somehow this black hole reaches to detector wall can we get interference pattern or particle pattern???

8. Mar 21, 2014 #7

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

The "ideal" situation here will not prevent this blackhole from warping both your "slit" and your detector!

This thread has become too highly speculative.

Zz.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook