Passing a black hole from double slit experiment setup

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of a black hole with a radius comparable to that of an atom or nucleus being passed through a double slit experiment. While there is no definitive answer, it is believed that the black hole would evaporate almost immediately due to Hawking Radiation. However, some suggest that at quantum scales, there is no difference between a black hole and a point particle, and the behavior of black holes is replaced by that of a particle. The idea is debated, with some arguing that the high energy of the black hole's Coulomb field makes it a questionable concept. It is suggested that an interference pattern may be observed if the black hole has a suitable momentum value.
us40
Hello,

Theoretically any object can convert into black hole by compressing its mass below some radius( describe by Schwarzschild Radius). Suppose one of this object after becoming black hole have radius
which is comparable to atoms and nucleus radius. Now my question is what will happen if we pass this object into double slit experiment setup (single black hole at a time). Shall we get interference pattern on detector wall because of its radius in quantum domain ( say we somehow know when on detector screen this black hole will hit) or simple particle like pattern (i.e. classical way ) because of mass associated with that black hole?

Physics news on Phys.org
Sounds like a possibly interesting question. I don't have any answer but I would point out that it is believed that a BH that small would evaporate, almost as soon as it was formed, from Hawking Radiation.

It sounds like we need a theory of quantum gravity to answer this, but my guess is that you will get a standard interference pattern. My guess is that at quantum scales, there is no difference between a black hole and a point particle, and the weird behavior of black holes disappears at small scales and is replaced by particle behavior. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_hole_electron

I just added remarks to this wiki page. Mainly, the smaller a charge contribution the higher the energy of its Coulomb field. For a black hole with electron mass and charge this energy reaches a ludicrous value, so I think this is a shaky concept.

I guess if the black hole has a suitable momentum value h/lambda an interference pattern would be observed.

1. What is the double slit experiment and how does it relate to black holes?

The double slit experiment is a classic thought experiment that demonstrates the wave-particle duality of light. It involves passing light through two narrow slits and observing the resulting interference pattern on a screen. In the context of black holes, the experiment can be used to study the behavior of light as it passes through the intense gravitational field near the event horizon of a black hole.

2. Can a black hole affect the results of a double slit experiment?

Yes, a black hole can have a significant impact on the results of a double slit experiment. The intense gravitational pull of a black hole can bend and distort the path of light, causing changes in the interference pattern observed on the screen. This effect is known as gravitational lensing and is a key tool for studying black holes.

3. How does the distance from a black hole affect the results of the double slit experiment?

The distance from a black hole can have a significant impact on the results of the double slit experiment. As the distance decreases, the gravitational pull of the black hole becomes stronger, resulting in more significant distortions to the interference pattern. At a certain point, known as the photon sphere, the gravitational pull becomes so strong that even light cannot escape, leading to a complete disruption of the interference pattern.

4. Can the double slit experiment be used to study the event horizon of a black hole?

Yes, the double slit experiment can be used to study the event horizon of a black hole. By analyzing the changes in the interference pattern as light passes through the intense gravitational field near the event horizon, scientists can gain insights into the properties of black holes, such as their mass and spin. However, due to the extreme conditions near the event horizon, conducting such experiments may not be feasible in reality.

5. What are the implications of understanding the results of the double slit experiment near a black hole?

Studying the behavior of light near a black hole through the double slit experiment can provide valuable insights into the nature of space and time near these enigmatic objects. It can also help us better understand the fundamental principles of quantum mechanics and gravity. Additionally, this knowledge can be applied to other areas of research, such as cosmology and astrophysics, to enhance our understanding of the universe as a whole.