Passing of time in Bolzmann's entropy curve. Is it all wrong?

In summary, the question is about the physical basis for the arrow of time and the concept of time as an emergent property. The main concern is with the representation of entropy curves in graphs and whether high entropy equilibrium states should be excluded. The author also mentions a paper on the topic of clock time and entropy for further discussion.
Paavo Palikka
Hello guys,

I was watching video about physical basis for arrow of time..

..as well as several other videos and articles about physics of time. I am puzzled with this picture here (seen in 35:07 in video above)

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/cosmicvariance/files/uploads/entropyfluctuations.gif

From several sources I have read that time is most probably some kind of emergent property: If universe in total equilibrium (high entropy), concept of time is not relevant because nothing really happens. Still these plots always seem to plot some kind of linear time to horizontal axis.

In my humble opinion all those high entropy equilibrium states should be cleared away from plot and only fluctuations should be left. When universe is in equilibrium (or very near equilibrium), also time will not pass and those "moments" should be cut away from graph. Of course there is always small fluctuations but if I have concluded right they can be ignored.

Well what is your opinion about the subject, are Boltzmann's entropy curves somehow misrepresented in pictures shown above?

Hopefully my small intoxication does not make my question completely impossible to understand :). I am happy to answer any follow-up questions,

-Paavo Palikka

Last edited by a moderator:
Space news on Phys.org
I'm sorry you are not generating any responses at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us? Any new findings?

This is a very tricky question in QM. An 'entropy clock' as a measure of time independent of 'classical' clocks is still on the wish list. I agree it appears time is an emergent property of the gravitational field and would cease to be meaningful in its absence. Of course, no such place exists is this universe. For discussion, this paper may be of interest: http://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/9303020, Clock Time and Entropy.

1. What is Bolzmann's entropy curve?

Bolzmann's entropy curve is a graphical representation of the relationship between the entropy of a system and the amount of time that has passed. It is based on the second law of thermodynamics, which states that the entropy of a closed system will increase over time.

2. How does time affect Bolzmann's entropy curve?

Time is a crucial factor in Bolzmann's entropy curve as it is the independent variable on the x-axis. The curve shows that as time increases, the entropy of a closed system will also increase, eventually reaching a state of maximum entropy.

3. Is Bolzmann's entropy curve accurate?

Bolzmann's entropy curve is a well-established concept in thermodynamics and has been validated through numerous experiments and observations. It accurately represents the relationship between time and entropy in closed systems.

4. Can Bolzmann's entropy curve be used to predict the future?

No, Bolzmann's entropy curve cannot be used to predict the future as it is based on the second law of thermodynamics, which only applies to closed systems. It does not take into account external factors or changes in the system.

5. How does Bolzmann's entropy curve impact our understanding of the universe?

Bolzmann's entropy curve is a fundamental concept in thermodynamics and has helped us understand the behavior of closed systems and the flow of time. It has also been applied in fields such as cosmology, where it has played a role in theories about the origins and fate of the universe.