Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pauli exclusion principle question

1. Jul 18, 2008 #1
    I have a question in my book where five electrons are placed in a infinite square well and Im supposed to calculate the lowest energies. My problem is with the electron configuration. I think that the first two shall be placed in n=1 and then the rest shall be placed in n=2. This since l=0,1 and m=-1,0,1 (plus the spin). However my book gives me a different solution. Two in n=1, two in n=2 and one in n=3, due to Pauli exclusion. But three electrons can have different quantum numbers in n=2. So why shall one of the electroons be placed in n=3?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 18, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Is the well spherical symmetric? No.

In the infinite square well, your quantum numbers are only n and m_s, you dont have L since it isn't spherical symmetric - hence angular momentum is not a good quantun number here.

So for each n, you can put 2 number of electrons due to 2 different m_s values.

So L only plays a role if your potential has spherical symmetry - in the atom for example - the nuclei is generating a spherical symmetric potential - and here L quantum number becomes important.
  4. Jul 18, 2008 #3
    of course! thanks a lot
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?