Pauli-Lubanski pseudovector commutation relations

In summary, the author is trying to find the commutation relations of the Pauli-Lubanski pseudovector with the Lorentz transformation generators, but fails. They try to solve the problem, but can't because of an error in the last equation. They find an identity which states that the commutation relations are the sum of the antisymmetric terms of the five indices in Minkowski space.
Factvince

Homework Statement

Hi. This is not a homework question per se, but more of a personal question, but I thought I'd post it here.
I'm trying to prove the commutation relations of the Pauli-Lubanski pseudovector
\begin{equation}
W_\mu\equiv-\frac{1}{2} \epsilon_{\mu\nu\rho\sigma}J^{\nu\rho}P^\sigma
\end{equation}
with the Lorentz transformation generators \begin{equation}J^{\mu\nu}.\end{equation}

I'm supposed to find
\begin{equation}
\left[J_{\mu\nu},W_\rho\right]= \mathrm{i}\left( \eta_{\nu\rho}W_\mu-\eta_{\mu\rho}W_\nu\right)
\end{equation}

but I simply can't.

Homework Equations

Obviously I have to use
\begin{align}
\left[P_\mu,P_\nu\right]&= 0,\\
\left[P_\mu,J_{\nu\rho}\right]&= \mathrm{i}\left(\eta_{\mu\rho}P_\nu-\eta_{\mu\nu}P_\rho\right),\\
\left[J_{\mu\nu},J_{\rho\sigma}\right]&= \mathrm{i}\left(\eta_{\mu\rho}J_{\sigma\nu}- \eta_{\nu\rho}J_{\sigma\mu}- \eta_{\mu\sigma}J_{\rho\nu}+ \eta_{\nu\sigma}J_{\rho\mu}\right)
\end{align}

The Attempt at a Solution

My calculations gave
\begin{equation}
\left[J_{\kappa\lambda},W_\mu\right]= -i\left(\eta_{\tau\lambda} \epsilon_{\kappa\rho\mu\sigma} J^{\rho\tau}P^\sigma- \frac{1}{2} \eta_{\tau\lambda} \epsilon_{\kappa\rho\mu\sigma} J ^{\sigma\rho}P^\tau- \eta_{\tau\kappa} \epsilon_{\lambda\rho\mu\sigma} J^{\rho\tau}P^\sigma+ \frac{1}{2}\eta_{\tau\kappa} \epsilon_{\lambda\rho\mu\sigma} J^{\sigma\rho}P^\tau\right).
\end{equation}
I'm pretty confident this is correct, but in the meantime I don't see where to go when I get here.

Any help very much appreciated !

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi Factvince! Welcome to PF! :wink:

You can restore that missing equation by pressing the "EDIT" button and typing a space at least every 50 characters (it's a PF bug). :smile:

Thanks very much tiny-tim !

I went a little further and I can sense I could do something with antisymmetry arguments here :

\begin{align*}
\left[W_\mu,J_{\kappa\lambda}\right]&= \frac{\mathrm{i}}{2}\left\{\eta_{\tau\lambda}\left( \epsilon_{\mu\kappa\rho\sigma} J^{\rho\tau}P^\sigma+ \epsilon_{\mu\sigma\kappa\rho} J^{\tau\sigma}P^\rho+ \epsilon_{\mu\rho\kappa\sigma} J^{\sigma\rho}P^\tau\right)\right\}\\
&- \frac{\mathrm{i}}{2}\left\{\eta_{\tau\kappa}\left( \epsilon_{\mu\lambda\rho\sigma} J^{\rho\tau}P^\sigma+ \epsilon_{\mu\sigma\lambda\rho}J ^{\tau\sigma}P^\rho+ \epsilon_{\mu\rho\lambda\sigma}J ^{\sigma\rho}P^\tau\right)\right\}.
\end{align*}

Being able to "switch" \mu and \tau would solve the problem, but I don't see any good way to justify such a move here.

Some Fierz reshuffling of indices seems to be useful.

I found for myself the following identity (not confirmed!):

[itex]\epsilon_{\kappa\lambda\mu\nu}g_{\sigma\tau}
-\epsilon_{\kappa\lambda\tau\nu}g_{\sigma\mu}=
\epsilon_{\mu\tau\lambda\nu}g_{\sigma\kappa}
-\epsilon_{\mu\tau\kappa\nu}g_{\sigma\lambda}[/itex]

This formula makes possible the exchange of the antisymmetric pair κλ with μτ.
(I know that the ordering of the indices in my formula is not perfect.)

For disentangling all those indices in the actual problem, I tried to use the pictorial notation of Penrose. But I didn't come to a solution either... :-/

My teacher gave me the answer months ago and I forgot about this thread: since Minkwoski space is four-dimensional, any expression which is antisymmetrised over five indices is identically zero. So one can write
\begin{equation}
\eta_{\tau\lambda}\epsilon_{\mu\varkappa\rho\sigma} + \eta_{\mu\lambda}\epsilon_{\varkappa\rho\sigma\tau} + \eta_{\varkappa\lambda}\epsilon_{\rho\sigma\tau\mu} + \eta_{\rho\lambda}\epsilon_{\sigma\tau\mu\varkappa} + \eta_{\sigma\lambda}\epsilon_{\tau\mu\varkappa\rho} = 0
\end{equation}
and that pretty much wraps it up. By the way, there were a couple of mistakes in the last result I gave due to the fact that I had the wrong sign for the
\begin{equation}
\left[P_\mu,J_{\nu\rho}\right]
\end{equation}
commutator.

What are the Pauli-Lubanski pseudovector commutation relations?

The Pauli-Lubanski pseudovector commutation relations are a set of equations that describe the commutation relationships between the components of the Pauli-Lubanski pseudovector, which is a mathematical quantity used in the study of relativistic quantum mechanics.

Why are the Pauli-Lubanski pseudovector commutation relations important?

The Pauli-Lubanski pseudovector commutation relations are important because they play a crucial role in understanding the symmetries of relativistic quantum systems. They are used to derive important physical quantities, such as spin and angular momentum, in these systems.

How do the Pauli-Lubanski pseudovector commutation relations relate to the Pauli matrices?

The Pauli-Lubanski pseudovector commutation relations are closely related to the Pauli matrices, which are a set of 2x2 matrices used to describe the spin states of particles. These matrices are used to construct the Pauli-Lubanski pseudovector, and the commutation relations between them are essential for understanding the behavior of spin in relativistic systems.

What is the physical interpretation of the Pauli-Lubanski pseudovector commutation relations?

The Pauli-Lubanski pseudovector commutation relations have a physical interpretation in terms of the conservation of spin and angular momentum in relativistic systems. They describe how these quantities change when the system undergoes a Lorentz transformation, which is a fundamental symmetry in relativistic physics.

Are there any experimental implications of the Pauli-Lubanski pseudovector commutation relations?

Yes, there are experimental implications of the Pauli-Lubanski pseudovector commutation relations. These equations have been used to make predictions about the behavior of particles with spin in high-energy collisions, and these predictions have been confirmed by experiments such as those conducted at the Large Hadron Collider.