PayPal: wearing a dunce hat - HELP

  • Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolves around the confusion and frustration of using a PayPal account. The individual has opened an account, attached a bank account and credit card, but is unsure of how to add money to the account. They express frustration with the lack of clear instructions and help from PayPal. Eventually, they take a leap of faith and make a purchase, only to discover a new feature that shows credit card transactions. The conversation ends with the participants agreeing that the user experience on PayPal is one of the worst they have encountered.
  • #1
DaveC426913
Gold Member
22,553
6,210
100 million user can't be wrong can they? I am obviously grossly misunderstanding the Paypal account model.

I've opened an account, I've attached a bank account to it (even though I didn't want to, but that was the only option I was offered, just as well that it didn't work), and now I've attached a credit card to my paypal account. I've even confirmed it with their automated phone confirmation. Fine so far.

My question is:

Now what?

I need to add money to my account so I can go buy stuff with it, right?

Nowhere on the site is there a feature that allows me to add money from my credit card. My available balance says zero.


And their help is useless. It's so high level (like with pretty graphics that explain a the 30,000 foot level) that it doesn't tell me what to actually do next.

Help!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #2
DaveC426913 said:
100 million user can't be wrong can they? I am obviously grossly misunderstanding the Paypal account model.

I've opened an account, I've attached a bank account to it (even though I didn't want to, but that was the only option I was offered, just as well that it didn't work), and now I've attached a credit card to my paypal account. I've even confirmed it with their automated phone confirmation. Fine so far.

My question is:

Now what?

I need to add money to my account so I can go buy stuff with it, right?

Nowhere on the site is there a feature that allows me to add money from my credit card. My available balance says zero.


And their help is useless. It's so high level (like with pretty graphics that explain a the 30,000 foot level) that it doesn't tell me what to actually do next.

Help!
When I used it, I never put money into an account. If I made a purchase, the amount was subtracted from my credit or debit card just for the amount of purchase at the time of the transaction.
 
  • #3
No. If you've added a credit card account your PayPal payments are normally automatically charged to your credit card account. Since you've also added your bank account to it, you may have to choose which you want to be charged (I never really liked that idea - a credit card at least gives you a little protection).
 
  • #4
Evo said:
When I used it, I never put money into an account. If I made a purchase, the amount was subtracted from my credit or debit card just for the amount of purchase at the time of the transaction.

Exactly, never put money or keep money in the paypal account. Paypal is a great thing, I've done over 1000 transactions with it and no problems.
 
  • #5
So, I just leave my balance at zero?

Any purchases I make will pass right through the PayPal system to my credit card?


Man, they are really REALLY crappy at explaining their user account model.
 
  • #6
I do the PayPal transaction at the store where I'm purchasing, right? I don't promise them some money and then return to PayPal and then 'Send Money' to them do I?
 
  • #7
Yup, that's exactly right. Some banks don't accept credits from paypal (mine didn't) so that could cause the bank account setup process to fail. But I as well would suggest using a credit card since it's protected against fraud etc.
 
  • #8
usually when you make a purchase at a website, it will open up a screen where you enter your paypal email/password and then will ask you "do you want to pay this amount to blah blah blah" and you press accept.

Whenever I pay with paypal I check the lower right of the screen when entering my password, there should be a little lock icon indicating that the session is secure ( your password is encrypted )
 
  • #9
So, how do I be sure that PayPal actually has a credit card that it will use?

Or do I just go ahead and trust that everything's hunky dory and risk the $30 ISF charge?
 
  • #10
Well, I took a leap of faith. I went to a website and I bought a thing.

I then went back to PayPal and LOOK! A whole new feature has magically appeared out of thin air, showing credit card transactions.

I can't believe that nowhere on their site does it ever actually explain the process a new user will go through to make a purchase.

This is one of the worst user experiences I've ever had. I've never seen a site that so egregiously assumed its users were experienced. And the fact that it involves money and my credit card doublrs the anxiety.
 
  • #11
DaveC426913 said:
Well, I took a leap of faith. I went to a website and I bought a thing.

I then went back to PayPal and LOOK! A whole new feature has magically appeared out of thin air, showing credit card transactions.

I can't believe that nowhere on their site does it ever actually explain the process a new user will go through to make a purchase.

This is one of the worst user experiences I've ever had. I've never seen a site that so egregiously assumed its users were experienced. And the fact that it involves money and my credit card doublrs the anxiety.
Yes, the first time I tried to use it, I had no idea what was going on.
 
  • #13
DaveC426913 said:
I can't believe that nowhere on their site does it ever actually explain the process a new user will go through to make a purchase.

This is one of the worst user experiences I've ever had. I've never seen a site that so egregiously assumed its users were experienced. And the fact that it involves money and my credit card doublrs the anxiety.

I totally agree. I have exactly the same problem with the credit card. I found the help on the website useless.

In fact, I've not yet made a purchase cause I didn't know what was going to happen. So, thanks for the info Dave.
 
  • #14
DaveC426913 said:
Well, I took a leap of faith. I went to a website and I bought a thing.

I then went back to PayPal and LOOK! A whole new feature has magically appeared out of thin air, showing credit card transactions.

I can't believe that nowhere on their site does it ever actually explain the process a new user will go through to make a purchase.

This is one of the worst user experiences I've ever had. I've never seen a site that so egregiously assumed its users were experienced. And the fact that it involves money and my credit card doubles the anxiety.
That was my experience. I just use the credit card and I did not attach a bank account.

the first time I tried to use it, I had no idea what was going on.
ditto. That's why I did not feel confident attaching a bank account to PayPal.
 
  • #15
Strangely enough, I had no trouble using it. Since I don't have a credit card, it's attached directly to my chequing account. The one drawback of doing it that way is that it takes a few days to verify the funds transfer. I've never had any difficulties with it, or cause to worry.
 

Related to PayPal: wearing a dunce hat - HELP

1. What is PayPal?

PayPal is an online payment platform that allows individuals and businesses to send and receive money securely over the internet.

2. How does PayPal work?

PayPal works by linking your bank account, credit or debit card to your PayPal account. When you make a payment, PayPal uses the funds from your linked account to complete the transaction.

3. Why am I wearing a dunce hat on PayPal?

I am sorry, I am an AI and cannot see you. It is possible that you have stumbled upon a glitch or a prank. You can try clearing your browser cache or contacting PayPal's customer service for further assistance.

4. Can I use PayPal without a bank account or credit card?

Yes, you can use PayPal without linking a bank account or credit card, but you will have limited functionality. You can only use your PayPal balance or receive payments from other PayPal users.

5. Is PayPal safe to use?

Yes, PayPal is generally considered a safe and secure method of payment. They use advanced encryption and fraud detection technology to protect your transactions and personal information. However, it is always important to use caution when sharing your financial information online.

Similar threads

Replies
11
Views
3K
  • General Discussion
Replies
20
Views
3K
Replies
15
Views
3K
  • General Discussion
Replies
1
Views
832
  • General Discussion
2
Replies
36
Views
5K
Replies
7
Views
2K
Replies
26
Views
6K
Replies
36
Views
5K
  • General Discussion
Replies
14
Views
2K
  • General Discussion
Replies
16
Views
3K
Back
Top