Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

PayPal: wearing a dunce hat - HELP!

1. Nov 14, 2006 #1

DaveC426913

Gold Member

100 million user can't be wrong can they? I am obviously grossly misunderstanding the Paypal account model.

I've opened an account, I've attached a bank account to it (even though I didn't want to, but that was the only option I was offered, just as well that it didn't work), and now I've attached a credit card to my paypal account. I've even confirmed it with their automated phone confirmation. Fine so far.

My question is:

Now what?

I need to add money to my account so I can go buy stuff with it, right?

Nowhere on the site is there a feature that allows me to add money from my credit card. My available balance says zero.

And their help is useless. It's so high level (like with pretty graphics that explain a the 30,000 foot level) that it doesn't tell me what to actually do next.

Help!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 14, 2006 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

When I used it, I never put money into an account. If I made a purchase, the amount was subtracted from my credit or debit card just for the amount of purchase at the time of the transaction.

4. Nov 14, 2006 #3

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No. If you've added a credit card account your PayPal payments are normally automatically charged to your credit card account. Since you've also added your bank account to it, you may have to choose which you want to be charged (I never really liked that idea - a credit card at least gives you a little protection).

5. Nov 14, 2006 #4
    Exactly, never put money or keep money in the paypal account. Paypal is a great thing, I've done over 1000 transactions with it and no problems.

6. Nov 14, 2006 #5

DaveC426913

Gold Member

So, I just leave my balance at zero?

Any purchases I make will pass right through the PayPal system to my credit card?

Man, they are really REALLY crappy at explaining their user account model.

7. Nov 14, 2006 #6

DaveC426913

Gold Member

I do the PayPal transaction at the store where I'm purchasing, right? I don't promise them some money and then return to PayPal and then 'Send Money' to them do I?

8. Nov 14, 2006 #7
    Yup, that's exactly right. Some banks don't accept credits from paypal (mine didn't) so that could cause the bank account setup process to fail. But I as well would suggest using a credit card since it's protected against fraud etc.

9. Nov 14, 2006 #8
    usually when you make a purchase at a website, it will open up a screen where you enter your paypal email/password and then will ask you "do you want to pay this amount to blah blah blah" and you press accept.

Whenever I pay with paypal I check the lower right of the screen when entering my password, there should be a little lock icon indicating that the session is secure ( your password is encrypted )

10. Nov 14, 2006 #9

DaveC426913

Gold Member

So, how do I be sure that PayPal actually has a credit card that it will use?

Or do I just go ahead and trust that everything's hunky dory and risk the $30 ISF charge?

11. Nov 14, 2006 #10

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Well, I took a leap of faith. I went to a website and I bought a thing.

I then went back to PayPal and LOOK! A whole new feature has magically appeared out of thin air, showing credit card transactions.

I can't believe that nowhere on their site does it ever actually explain the process a new user will go through to make a purchase.

This is one of the worst user experiences I've ever had. I've never seen a site that so egregiously assumed its users were experienced. And the fact that it involves money and my credit card doublrs the anxiety.

12. Nov 14, 2006 #11

Evo

Yes, the first time I tried to use it, I had no idea what was going on.

13. Nov 14, 2006 #12
  14. Nov 15, 2006 #13

siddharth

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I totally agree. I have exactly the same problem with the credit card. I found the help on the website useless.

In fact, I've not yet made a purchase cause I didn't know what was going to happen. So, thanks for the info Dave.

15. Nov 15, 2006 #14

Astronuc

That was my experience. I just use the credit card and I did not attach a bank account.

ditto. That's why I did not feel confident attaching a bank account to PayPal.

16. Nov 15, 2006 #15

Danger

Gold Member

Strangely enough, I had no trouble using it. Since I don't have a credit card, it's attached directly to my chequing account. The one drawback of doing it that way is that it takes a few days to verify the funds transfer. I've never had any difficulties with it, or cause to worry.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?