Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

PDE and differentiating through the sum

1. Jan 28, 2015 #1

joshmccraney

Gold Member

Hi PF!

I'm reading my math text and am looking at the heat eq ##u_t = u_{xx}##, where we are are given non-homogenous boundary conditions. We are solving using the method of eigenfunction expansion.

Evidently we begin by finding the eigenfunction ##\phi (x)## related to the homogenous boundary conditions. From here we say the solution takes the form ##u(x,t) = \sum a(t) \phi(x)##. When plugging this result into the heat equation we are not allowed to differentiate w.r.t. x under the sum. The reason evidently is because the boundary conditions for the actual problem and ##\phi(x)## do not agree (the problem has non-homogenous B.C. yet the eigenfunction satisfies homogenous B.C.).

Can anyone tell me why not satisfying the same B.C. conditions implies we cannot differentiate w.r.t. that variable ##x##?

Thanks so much!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2015 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The point is that you can approximate the solution arbitrarily well (in a distribution sense) with a function that does not fulfill the BC, i.e., the sum will converge to the solution everywhere but at the boundary.

A different way of taking care of your boundary conditions is to make a change of variables to transfer your inhomogeneity to the PDE rather than the BC. The resulting PDE can be solved using series expansion of the resulting inhomogeneity.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook