Penrose collapse and Superposition

In summary: I have a cat in a superposition of being dead and alive. If I measure the cat's alive or dead state, does that mean the cat is in a stationary state of being alive or dead?In summary, Sabine says that the cat is in a superposition of being dead and alive, but if you measure the cat it will be in either one of those states or a stationary state of being alive or dead.
bluecap
According to Sabine http://backreaction.blogspot.com/2016/03/dear-dr-b-what-is-difference-between.html
you can make superposition go away by just changing the basis state..

"All this is just to say that whether a particle is or isn’t in a superposition is ambiguous. You can always make its superposition go away by just wanting it to go away and changing the notation. Or, slightly more technical, you can always remove a superposition of basis states just by defining the superposition as a new basis state. It is for this reason somewhat unfortunate that superpositions – the cat being both dead and alive – often serve as examples for quantum-ness. You could equally well say the cat is in one state of dead-and-aliveness, not in a superposition of two states one of which is dead and one alive."

How do you reconcile this with Penrose collapse by gravity? If penrose superposition is real that is collapsed by gravity.. how does it deal with making superposition go away by changing basis?

Physics news on Phys.org
Sabine raises a point which is often overlooked by beginners. It is important to keep in mind what she says when dealing with superpositions, but in the paragraph you quoted, she ignores measurements.

For every measurement, we have an observable with a set of eigenstates which constitutes a basis for the Hilbert space. When a measurement is performed, we have to expand our state in this basis in order to calculate the probabilities for the different eigenvalues (which are the absolute squares of the coefficiants in this expansion). There simply isn't a measurement which has the state |the-cat-is-alive-and-dead> as a possible outcome. (If you want to learn more about this, "decoherence" is the keyword)

Collapse is something which is associated with measurements. So, if gravity causes the system to collapse, it should probably be viewed as a measurement and what I have written above applies. (I find this terminology weird but it gives you a first idea. To really explain the subtleties of measurements and decoherence is beyond the scope of my post and I don't know whether it can be done without math)

You can calculate your state in any basis you like. The probabilities for measurements are then simply given by
$$P(a)=\sum_{\beta} |\langle a,\beta|\psi \rangle|^2,$$
where ##a## is in the spectrum of the operator representing the observable measured and ##\beta## labels possible degeneracies. The physical meaningful quantities, as these probabilities, are independent of the basis used to evaluate the state ket.

kith said:
Sabine raises a point which is often overlooked by beginners. It is important to keep in mind what she says when dealing with superpositions, but in the paragraph you quoted, she ignores measurements.

For every measurement, we have an observable with a set of eigenstates which constitutes a basis for the Hilbert space. When a measurement is performed, we have to expand our state in this basis in order to calculate the probabilities for the different eigenvalues (which are the absolute squares of the coefficiants in this expansion). There simply isn't a measurement which has the state |the-cat-is-alive-and-dead> as a possible outcome. (If you want to learn more about this, "decoherence" is the keyword)

Collapse is something which is associated with measurements. So, if gravity causes the system to collapse, it should probably be viewed as a measurement and what I have written above applies. (I find this terminology weird but it gives you a first idea. To really explain the subtleties of measurements and decoherence is beyond the scope of my post and I don't know whether it can be done without math)

I'm familiar with decoherence. I was asking how gravity can distinguish if you put the electron in superposition of momentum or position and whether gravity should measure momentum or position??

bluecap said:
I'm familiar with decoherence. I was asking how gravity can distinguish if you put the electron in superposition of momentum or position and whether gravity should measure momentum or position??
If this is your question, you should have expressed it more clearly in the OP. What Sabine writes is not related to measurements.

Have you checked the wikipedia article on the Penrose interpretation?. It answers your question like this: "Despite the difficulties of specifying this in a rigorous way, he proposes that the basis states into which the collapse takes place are mathematically described by the stationary solutions of the Schrödinger–Newton equation."

kith said:
If this is your question, you should have expressed it more clearly in the OP. What Sabine writes is not related to measurements.

Have you checked the wikipedia article on the Penrose interpretation?. It answers your question like this: "Despite the difficulties of specifying this in a rigorous way, he proposes that the basis states into which the collapse takes place are mathematically described by the stationary solutions of the Schrödinger–Newton equation."

This is the part I don't understand.. the "which the collapse takes place are mathematically described by the stationary solutions of the Schrödinger–Newton equation". For example. if you put the electron in superposition of spin or momentum.. how does gravity know? It appears Penrose stuff is more intuitive on superposition of positions as from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schrödinger–Newton_equation

"Roger Penrose proposed that the Schrödinger–Newton equation mathematically describes the basis states involved in a gravitationally induced wavefunction collapse scheme.[4][5][6] Penrose suggests that a superposition of two or more quantum states which have a significant amount of mass displacement ought to be unstable and reduce to one of the states within a finite time. He hypothesises that there exists a "preferred" set of states which could collapse no further, specifically the stationary states of the Schrödinger–Newton equation. A macroscopic system can therefore never be in a spatial superposition since the nonlinear gravitational self-interaction immediately leads to a collapse to a stationary state of the Schrödinger–Newton equation. According to Penrose's idea, when a quantum particle is measured, there is an interplay of this nonlinear collapse and environmental decoherence. The gravitational interaction leads to the reduction of the environment to one distinct state and decoherence leads to the localisation of the particle, e.g. as a dot on a screen."

How about for spin or momentum? how does the Schrodinger-Newton equation know?

bluecap said:
How about for spin or momentum? how does the Schrodinger-Newton equation know?
What do you think it needs to know? Please try to be more precise with your questions.

Are you familiar with quantum measurements (i.e. have you understood what I wrote in my first post?). Every state (be it a position eigenstate or a momentum eigenstate or something in between) can be expanded in the basis of stationary solutions of the Schrödinger-Newton equation. If you have done this, the coefficients of this expansion lead you to the probabilities that the collapse leads to the corresponding stationary state.

kith said:
What do you think it needs to know? Please try to be more precise with your questions.

Are you familiar with quantum measurements (i.e. have you understood what I wrote in my first post?). Every state (be it a position eigenstate or a momentum eigenstate or something in between) can be expanded in the basis of stationary solutions of the Schrödinger-Newton equation. If you have done this, the coefficients of this expansion lead you to the probabilities that the collapse leads to the corresponding stationary state.

First time for me to hear about the Schrodinger-Newton equation. Is it even mainstream? i wonder if it is even taught in school. so i hope other physicists could share if they have heard it it too and what are their comments on it.

The idea that collapse is induced by gravity is a speculation which hasn't been rigorously formulated yet (and maybe never will). The Schrödinger-Newton equation itself is a very minor part of the research on the unification of gravity with QM (21 hits on the arxiv).

1. What is Penrose collapse?

Penrose collapse is a theory proposed by physicist Roger Penrose that suggests that when a large mass collapses in space, it will eventually form a singularity or a point of infinite density. This theory is an extension of Einstein's theory of general relativity and has been used to explain the formation of black holes.

2. How does superposition relate to Penrose collapse?

In the theory of Penrose collapse, superposition refers to the idea that the collapsing mass can exist in two or more states at the same time. This is similar to the concept of quantum superposition, where particles can exist in multiple states until observed.

3. Can Penrose collapse and superposition be observed in real life?

While there is evidence to support the theory of Penrose collapse, it has not yet been directly observed in real life. However, superposition has been observed in quantum systems, and there are ongoing experiments and studies that aim to observe Penrose collapse in the future.

4. What are the implications of Penrose collapse and superposition?

The theory of Penrose collapse has significant implications for our understanding of the universe and the nature of black holes. It suggests that the laws of physics may break down at the singularity, and it challenges our understanding of space and time. Superposition also has implications for quantum computing and communication.

5. Are there any criticisms of the theory of Penrose collapse and superposition?

Like any scientific theory, the theory of Penrose collapse and superposition has faced criticism and alternative explanations. Some scientists argue that the theory is incomplete and does not fully explain the behavior of collapsing masses. Others suggest different theories, such as loop quantum gravity, to explain the behavior of black holes and the nature of space-time.