Penrose's cyclic universe - question

In summary, Penrose's cyclic universe theory proposes that all matter will eventually disappear due to Hawking radiation, leading to a reduced degree of freedom in terms of the 2nd law of thermodynamics and causing the universe to "re-initialize" in another big bang. However, the idea of sequential aeons and the lack of understanding of basic concepts of CMB science has led to this theory being questioned by many physicists. It is possible that parallel aeons could exist, but that would be a different model.
hammock
I've just watched the lecture of Penrose on his cyclic universe theory here:

I fact I understood that he claims that any kind of matter dissapears in a couple of Googol years due to Hawking radition; so there is no matter left at the end, which leads to a reduced degree of freedom in terms of the 2nd law of thermodynamics which then "re-initializes" space (or so ... my term) and leads to another big bang.

What I do not understand is why he claims his aeons being sequential. In fact, time somehow is a product of mass movement in space and if there is no mass, there is no time.

So then, why can't these aeons exist parallel to ours?

Last edited:
Space news on Phys.org
I don't think most physicists take this idea seriously. It doesn't help that he really shot himself in the foot with some incredibly shoddy statistics when he and Gurzadyan tried to show that the CMB had some evidence of of this idea (in essence, they showed that the temperatures on different places on the sky are correlated, the problem being that the existence of those correlations is well-known and part of the fundamental physics of the CMB, betraying a complete lack of understanding of the most basic concepts of CMB science).

While it's true that it's possible to support a good idea with bad arguments, the incredibly bad arguments they've used to promote this idea put into question the rest of their reasoning.

hammock said:
What I do not understand is why he claims his aeons being sequential.

They are sequential in this particular model, whether that is how the universe is, is a separate question.

So then, why can't these aeons exist parallel to ours?

May be they can, but that would be a different model.

1. What is Penrose's cyclic universe theory?

Penrose's cyclic universe theory is a cosmological model proposed by physicist Sir Roger Penrose. It suggests that the universe undergoes an endless cycle of expansion and contraction, with each cycle lasting trillions of years.

2. How does Penrose's cyclic universe differ from the Big Bang theory?

Unlike the Big Bang theory, which suggests that the universe began with a single explosive event, Penrose's cyclic universe theory proposes that the universe has no beginning or end and has always existed.

3. What evidence supports Penrose's cyclic universe theory?

Currently, there is no direct evidence to support Penrose's cyclic universe theory. However, some aspects of the theory, such as the existence of dark energy and the possibility of a multiverse, are supported by observational data.

4. What are the main criticisms of Penrose's cyclic universe theory?

One major criticism of Penrose's cyclic universe theory is the lack of any direct evidence to support it. Additionally, some scientists argue that the theory relies on unproven concepts, such as the existence of a multiverse and the ability of matter to survive the contraction phase.

5. How does Penrose's cyclic universe theory impact our understanding of the universe?

Penrose's cyclic universe theory challenges our traditional understanding of the universe and raises new questions about its origin and ultimate fate. It also offers an alternative explanation for the expansion of the universe and the existence of dark energy.