Percentage composition of NaF and AlF3 in Na4AlF6

  • Thread starter Thread starter danne89
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Composition
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
danne89
Messages
180
Reaction score
0
Hi! How many per cent of NaF and AlF3 does Na4AlF6 consist of?

I get 20 % NaF, but that isn't correct. I've done such problems before, just this seems to be unusual. Can you maybe check my work.

Greatfull,
Danne
 
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Question:What is the structure (geometry and bonding) and oxydation numbers of this hexafluoroaluminate of sodium
[tex]Na_{4}AlF_{6}[/tex]

Daniel.
 
[tex]4 Na^-~ Al^{3+} ~ 6F^-[/tex]
So the bonding between the F's and the Al is covalent. And the bonding between the Na's and the other group is ionic.

How do you write oxydation numbers in Latex? Anyway, it looks like this, I think:
Na_4 - -4
Al - +3
F_6 - -6

It can't be correct, though, for the numbers must equals zero.
 
Yes,that's what i was insinuating.The compound doesn't exist as a molecule (it's not neutral).Therefore it makes no sense to discuss its "concentration" of other molecules...

Daniel.
 
I suspect, your original compound is cryolite ([itex]Na_3AlF_6[/itex]), which is commonly used in the molten form for the electrolytic production of Aluminum.

[tex]Na_3AlF_6 \equiv 3NaF + AlF_3[/tex]

PS : Na has oxid state = +1