1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Perfectly inelastic collision and inelastic collision

1. Oct 11, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Two gliders move toward each other on a frictionless linear air track.

Glider 1, mass = 0.5kg , velocity = 2m/s (to the left)
    Glider 2, mass = 0.3kg , velocity = 2m/s (to the right)

After collision, glider 2 moves away (to the left) with final velocity of 2m/s.

The question I want to ask is that, I read up on wikipedia, saying perfectly inelastic collision will result in the two objects sticking together and moving with a same final velocity.

However in this question, I found out the final velocity for glider 1 to be v = -0.4m/s, which doesn't support what Wikipedia has since glider 2 moves to the left with 2 m/s. So I'm thinking maybe the question given is NOT a perfectly inelastic collision, can anyone clear my doubts about this?

2. Relevant equations

m1v1 + m2v2 = m1u1 + m2u2

3. The attempt at a solution

substituting masses and velocities into the above equations will get me v1 = -0.4 m/s

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2011 #2
    Hi,
    The question directly states, if I understand you correctly that,
    Which implies that, once one of them has started to move separately, you can no longer consider it as a "perfectly" inelastic interaction between them. Rather, there could be a loss of kinetic energy due to other factors, but not such that would prompt them to coalesce.
    I hope that helps,
    Daniel

4. Oct 11, 2011 #3
    Collision is not perfectly inelastic.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook