1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Period of arbitrary amplitude pendulum using average speed

1. Dec 5, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A simple pendulum of length L is pulled aside to angle θm then released from rest. For arbitrary angle θ on the path of motion the acceleration along the path is -gSinθ. The speed at this point is V(θ)= √[2gL (cos θ - cos θm)]. Find the period T of the pendulum (do not assume simple harmonic motion). I see how to solve this in the standard way but I also tried to solve it by calculating the average speed of the bob and then just deviding the path length by this speed to get the period. I believe that the two approaches should give the same answer. They do not.

2. Relevant equations
    standard approach:
    ds = L dθ = √[2gL (cos θ - cos θm)]
    dt dt

so ∫dt= √( L/2g) . ∫ dθ/√(cos θ - cos θm)

which gives the solution T= 4√(L/g) ∫ dx/√(1-A [Sinx.Sinx]) where integration limits are 0, ∏/2

and √A= Sin(θm/2). As θm goes to 0 T approaches 2∏√L/g as expected for SHM

3. The attempt at a solution

the average speed <V> = [∫V(θ)dθ]/[∫dθ] integration lims 0 and θm

The path length = 4Lθm

so the period T = 4Lθm/ <V>

integrating gives T= (16/∏)√L/g as low angle limit! where have i gone wrong?

Last edited: Dec 5, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2011 #2
    I solved the problem. The time for the motion is not given by the distance/ average of the velocity at each point on the path but it is given by the distance x the average of the reciprocal of the velocity at each point on the path. For this motion 1/<Vx> is not equal to <1/Vx>. In general

T= X/<Vt> = X . <1/Vx>

where <Vt> is the time average velocity and <1/Vx> is the space average velocity. Bit of elementary calculus of function of a function. Dooogh!

4. Dec 7, 2011 #3
    For simple harmonic motion (small angle approximation of the pendulum) it is fairly easy to show that for the space average velocity

1/<V> = [8/ pi^2] . < 1/V>

so that the time averaged velocity <Vt> (= <1/V> ) and space averaged velocity <V> are related:

1/<Vt> = [pi^2/8] . 1/<V>

So the period calculated as dist/<V> = [16/pi] SQRT {L/g} should be multiplied by
    (pi^2)/8 to give the true period = 2pi. SQRT{L/g}

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook