Period of Oscillation for a Standing Transverse Wave on a Flexible String

  • Thread starter Thread starter collegegirl13
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Oscillation Period
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 5K views
collegegirl13
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
A snapshot of a standing transverse wave on a flexible string is taken when the displacement is at a maximum showing two trough's and two peaks(1.5 waves). The string is 1.52 m long with tension 4.00 N. The total mass of the string is 10.81 g. Find the period of the oscillation.

I found the velocity to be 23.715m/s
So then I took the length of the string and divided it by the number of waves which was 1.5 and I got 1.01333.
Then to find the period I divided the 1.01333 by 23.715 to get 0.0427s, but it isn't right I don't get what I am doing wrong help please...
 
Physics news on Phys.org
two trough's and two peaks(1.5 waves)

isn't "two troughs and two peaks 2 complete waves (not 1.5)?
 
It is 1.5 waves because from peak to peak is one wave
 
Your answer 0.0427s looks correct to me, if it is 1.5 wavelengths on the string.

Just to clarify something: is one end of the string right at a peak, and the other end right at a trough? Or is each end of the string at the "zero point" (neither a peak nor a trough)?