How many possible 7-place license plates are there with 3 letters and 4 digits?

• MHB
  • Thread starter iamjokerface
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Plate
In summary, the problem asks for the number of possible 7-place license plates with 3 letters and 4 digits, with no restrictions on placement or repetition. The correct approach is to calculate the number of ways to choose the letter and digit locations, and then multiply by the number of choices for each. However, the initial approach was incorrect because it did not take into account the fact that letters and numbers are indistinguishable from each other. The correct expression is $7\cdot 6\cdot 5\cdot 26^3 \cdot 10^4$.
iamjokerface
Hello,

I am stuck on this one problem. The problem asks:

How many different 7-place license plates are possible when 3 of the entries are letters and 4 are digits? Assume that repetition of letters and numbers is allowed and that there is no restriction on where the letters or numbers can be placed.

The way I approached the problem was:

There are 7C3 ways of choosing the places for letters, and in each letter place, there can be 26 choices. So 7C3*26*26*26 for the letters.
Then there are 7C4 ways of choosing the places for digits, and in each digit place, there are 10 choices, so 7C4*10*10*10*10.
To get the total possibilities, I multiplied the two.

I checked the answer but I am not getting the correct answer.

Where have I gone wrong?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I think the problem is that letters are indistinguishable from one another, as are numbers. I would consider it more like this:

There 7 places to choose the first letter, 6 for the second, and 5 for the third. Once you've chosen the letter locations, the rest are all numbers. So I would probably have an expression like: $7\cdot 6\cdot 5\cdot 26^3 \cdot 10^4$. Does that work?

What is a 7-place license plate?

A 7-place license plate is a type of vehicle registration plate that contains a combination of 7 letters and numbers. This format is typically used in the United States and Canada.

Why is it called a 7-place license plate?

The term "7-place" refers to the total number of characters that can be included on the license plate, which is 7. This includes both letters and numbers.

What is the purpose of a 7-place license plate?

The main purpose of a 7-place license plate is to uniquely identify a vehicle for registration and law enforcement purposes. It also helps to keep track of vehicle ownership and ensure that vehicles are properly registered and insured.

Are there any restrictions on the combination of letters and numbers for a 7-place license plate?

Yes, there are certain restrictions on the combination of letters and numbers that can be used on a 7-place license plate. For example, certain letters and numbers may not be allowed to prevent offensive or inappropriate combinations.

Can I customize my 7-place license plate?

In some states and provinces, it is possible to customize a 7-place license plate by requesting specific letters or numbers. However, there may be additional fees and restrictions for personalized plates.