Permutations/combinations problem

• Thread starter JL3
  • Start date
In summary, the number of possible vectors with n dimensions and each element containing one of three values is simply λ^n. If the vector must contain exactly k non-zeros, then the number becomes p=(λ-1)^k * n!/(k!(n-k)!). If the vector must contain at most k non-zeros and at least 1 non-zero, then the number becomes p=∑(k'=1)^k [(λ-1)^k' * n!/(k'!(n-k')!)]. The equations are correct and there is no more compact way of expressing the last equation without using summation.
JL3
I have a problem about combinations and permutations I am trying to solve. Say we have an n-dimensional vector. Each element of the vector can contain anyone of [tex]\lambda=3[/tex] values (-1, 0 or +1). Then the number of possible vectors is simply:

[tex]\lambda^n[/tex]

If we place the additional restriction that the vector must contain exactly [tex]k[/tex] non-zeros, then it becomes:

[tex]p=(\lambda-1)^{k}\times\binom{n}{k}=\frac{n!(\lambda-1)^{k}}{k!(n-k)!}[/tex]

If we change the restriction so that it must contain at most [tex]k[/tex] non-zeros and at least 1 non-zero, then it becomes:

[tex]p=\sum_{k'=1}^{k}\left[(\lambda-1)^{k'}\times\binom{n}{k'}\right]=\sum_{k'=1}^{k}\frac{n!(\lambda-1)^{k'}}{k'!(n-k')!}[/tex]

Are my equations correct? Is there a more compact way of expressing this last equation, to get rid of the summation?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The formulas are correct.

If we want to get rid of the sum, we needed ##\binom n {k'} =\binom k {k'} \cdot r(n,k)## but the correction ##r## does also depend on ##k'##. So I guess there is no way to get rid of the sum.

1. What is the difference between permutations and combinations?

Permutations and combinations are both methods of counting the number of possible outcomes in a given situation. The main difference between the two is that permutations take into account the order of the elements, while combinations do not. In other words, permutations are concerned with the arrangement of objects, while combinations are concerned with the selection of objects regardless of order.

2. How do I know when to use permutations and when to use combinations?

The decision to use permutations or combinations depends on the problem you are trying to solve. If the order of objects is important, such as in a password or code, then use permutations. If the order is not important, such as in a lottery or choosing a team, then use combinations.

3. Can I use permutations/combinations to solve real-life problems?

Yes, permutations and combinations are frequently used in real-life scenarios. They can be applied in situations such as choosing a combination for a safe, arranging a seating chart, or creating unique license plates.

4. What is the formula for calculating permutations and combinations?

The formula for permutations is n!/(n-r)!, where n is the total number of objects and r is the number of objects being selected. The formula for combinations is n!/r!(n-r)!. Both formulas involve factorial notation, which means multiplying a series of descending numbers.

5. Are there any real-world applications of permutations and combinations in science?

Yes, permutations and combinations are used in various branches of science such as genetics, chemistry, and physics. For example, in genetics, permutations are used to determine the number of possible gene combinations for a specific trait. In chemistry, combinations are used to calculate the number of possible molecular structures. In physics, permutations are used to calculate the number of ways particles can be arranged in a system.