Stuck on the probability of rolling 'p' with 'n' s-sided dice

In summary, the conversation discusses the derivation of a formula for finding the coefficient of a specific term in a given expression. The formula involves manipulating summation indices and using binomial coefficients. The conversation also addresses confusion regarding the limits of the summation and the logic behind the coefficient of the specific term. Eventually, the conversation concludes by showing that the coefficient is given by the sum of certain coefficients from the two different series.
Potatochip911
TL;DR Summary
Having trouble with math involving two series being multiplied together.
Hi, I've been following the derivation of wolfram mathworld for this problem and I'm running into some trouble regarding the summation indices. Currently I am at the step where we have found that (it's pretty much just binomial expansion and taylor series to get to this point)

$$ f(x) = x^n\left[\sum_{k=0}^{\infty}\binom{n}{k}(-1)^kx^{sk}\right ]\sum_{l=0}^\infty\binom{n+l-1}{l}x^l $$

Now we're interested in finding the coefficient for the term ##x^p## to find how many possibilities there are to obtain that exponent ##p##. This gives the equality $$p = n + sk + l$$ which we can use to put ##l## in terms of ##k## in the 2nd summation via $$l = p-n-sk$$

This gives

$$x^n\left[\sum_{k=0}^{\infty}\binom{n}{k}(-1)^kx^{sk}\right ]\sum_k \binom{p-sk-1}{p-sk-n}x^{p-n-sk} $$

For the new summation indices we have ##k = (p-n-l)/s##, plugging in ##l=0## and ##l=\infty## gives lower index ##(p-n)/s## and upper index ##-\infty## which doesn't make sense. On wolfram they are just claiming that the coefficient of ##x^p## is given by

$$c = \sum_{k=0}^{n}(-1)^k\binom{n}{k}\binom{p-sk-1}{p-sk-n}$$

I'm having trouble understanding this as they are simply multiplying the coefficients for the two different series together. If we consider as an example:

$$\sum_{k=0}^1\binom{3}{k}x^k\sum_{k=0}^1\binom{2}{k}x^k=(1+3x)(1+2x)=1+(3+2)x+6x^2 = 1+5x+6x^2$$

then multiplying the coefficients together only results in the correct coefficient for their proposed solution when there are no "interfering" (idk the proper math word) terms.

To summarize, I'm having trouble understanding how in their solution they don't change the limits of the sum by plugging in ##l##, and I'm also confused by the logic/math surrounding the coefficient of ##x^p##.

Physics news on Phys.org
Let us assume that ##k\leq n## has to hold for possible indices ##l##.

Then ##0\leq k \leq n## and thus ##p-n \leq l=p-n-sk \leq p-n-sn## which gives the claimed boundaries.

Now we check whether they match. Therefore we must check ##l+sk+n = p##.
Our value for ##l## at position ##k## is ##l=p-sk-n## (formula for c), hence ##(p-sk-n)+sk+n=p## holds.

Likes Potatochip911
fresh_42 said:
Let us assume that ##k\leq n## has to hold for possible indices ##l##.

Then ##0\leq k \leq n## and thus ##p-n \leq l=p-n-sk \leq p-n-sn## which gives the claimed boundaries.

I'm still finding this quite confusing. I understand what you're saying here that these are the boundaries for ##l## using ##k##. Then it seems like the last summation can be written as

$$
\sum_{l=p-n}^{p-n-sn}\binom{p-sk-1}{p-sk-n}x^{p-sk-n}
$$

but since ##l## has been replaced we also need to replace the summation index now using ##l=p-sk-n## which results in

$$
p-sk-n=p-n\Rightarrow k=0 \mbox{, for the lower bound} \\
p-sk-n=p-n-sn\Rightarrow k=n\mbox{, for the upper bound}
$$

so the last sum can now be rewritten as

$$
\sum_{k=0}^n \binom{p-sk-1}{p-sk-n}x^{p-sk-n}
$$

Returning to the original expression (I accidentally had the first sum going to infinity in the orginal post)

$$
x^n\left [\sum_{k=0}^{n}\binom{n}{k}(-1)^kx^{sk}\right ] \sum_{k=0}^n\binom{p-sk-1}{p-sk-n}x^{p-sk-n}
$$

but ##x^p## and ##x^{-n}## are independent of the index ##k## therefore we can pull them out resulting in

$$
x^n\cdot x^{p-n}\left [\sum_{k=0}^{n}\binom{n}{k}(-1)^kx^{sk}\right ] \sum_{k=0}^n\binom{p-sk-1}{p-sk-n}x^{-sk} \\

= x^p\left [\sum_{k=0}^{n}\binom{n}{k}(-1)^kx^{sk}\right ] \sum_{k=0}^n\binom{p-sk-1}{p-sk-n}x^{-sk}
$$

Now I'm still struggling to see why we can just take the coefficients from two different sums.

Edit: Ok I see the key insight now. Since we have ##x^p## factored out on the outside then the only terms that will stay at ##x^p## will be terms with ##x^0## which happens when ##k## in the first sum equals ##k## in the second sum. Now it's clear the coefficient is given by ##\sum_{k=0}^{n}(-1)^k\binom{n}{k}\binom{p-sk-1}{p-sk-n}##

Now I'm just stuck understanding this last step that since ##p-sk-n>0## only when ##k <(p-n)/s## that $$\binom{p-sk-1}{p-sk-n} = \binom{p-sk-1}{n-1}$$

Last edited:
Let's write it this way:
\begin{align*}
f(x)&=\left( \sum_{k=0}^\infty a_kx^{n+sk} \right)\cdot \left( \sum_{l=0}^\infty b_lx^l \right)\\
&= \sum_{k,l = 0}^\infty a_kb_lx^{n+sk+l}\\
&=\sum_{p=0}^\infty \sum_{n+sk+l=p} a_kb_lx^p\\
&=\sum_{p=0}^\infty x^p \left( \sum_{k=0}^n \underbrace{ a_kb_{\underbrace{p-n-sk}_{\text{ former }l}} }_{=c_k} \right)
\end{align*}
Now what's left to calculate is
\begin{align*}
c_k&=a_k \cdot b_{p-n-sk}\\&=(-1)^k\cdot \binom{n}{k} \cdot \binom{n+(p-n-sk)-1}{p-n-sk}\\&=(-1)^k\cdot \binom{n}{k} \cdot \binom{p-sk-1}{p-sk-n}
\end{align*}
and ##c=c_p=\sum_{k=0}^n c_k##

Last edited:
Likes Potatochip911

1. What is the probability of rolling a specific number with a single die?

The probability of rolling a specific number with a single die is 1 divided by the number of sides on the die. So, for example, the probability of rolling a 3 on a standard six-sided die is 1/6.

2. How does the number of dice rolled affect the probability of rolling a specific number?

The more dice that are rolled, the higher the probability of rolling a specific number. This is because each additional die adds another chance for the desired number to be rolled. For example, the probability of rolling a 3 with two six-sided dice is 1/6 + 1/6 = 1/3.

3. What is the probability of rolling a specific number with multiple dice with different numbers of sides?

The probability of rolling a specific number with multiple dice with different numbers of sides can be calculated by multiplying the probabilities of rolling that number on each individual die. For example, the probability of rolling a 3 with a four-sided die and a six-sided die is (1/4)*(1/6) = 1/24.

4. How does the number of sides on the dice affect the probability of rolling a specific number?

The number of sides on the dice does not affect the probability of rolling a specific number. As long as the dice are fair, each side has an equal chance of being rolled.

5. Is it possible to calculate the probability of rolling a specific number with a certain number of dice and sides?

Yes, the probability of rolling a specific number with a certain number of dice and sides can be calculated using a mathematical formula. The formula is (1/n)^p, where n is the number of sides on the dice and p is the number of dice being rolled. For example, the probability of rolling a 3 with two six-sided dice is (1/6)^2 = 1/36.