Person pushes down the length of the handle of a 12.1kg

• Thread starter racecar12
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Length
In summary: Assuming that you want to move the spreader 1.33 meters per second, you would apply a force of 13.1 Newtons to the handle to achieve this.
racecar12

Homework Statement

Person pushes down the length of the handle of a 12.1kg lawn spreader. The handle makes an angle 44.1 degrees with the horizontal. Person wishes to accelerate the spreader from rest to 1.33m/s in 1.7s. What forece must person apply to the handle?

Homework Equations

F=ma

I imagine a=Δv/Δt

The Attempt at a Solution

I started to find the average acceleration, using a =Δv/Δt. a = 0.78m/s^2

Plug and chug to F=ma and get 9.4N. This seems way too simple of a solution.

Should I carry on with this:
Fx=max
Fy=may

then just find the resultant of F.

Fx = -9.47
Fy = -118.58

Resultant F = 118.96N...that seems way too much?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

racecar12 said:

Homework Statement

Person pushes down the length of the handle of a 12.1kg lawn spreader. The handle makes an angle 44.1 degrees with the horizontal. Person wishes to accelerate the spreader from rest to 1.33m/s in 1.7s. What forece must person apply to the handle?

Homework Equations

F=ma

I imagine a=Δv/Δt

The Attempt at a Solution

I started to find the average acceleration, using a =Δv/Δt. a = 0.78m/s^2

Plug and chug to F=ma and get 9.4N. This seems way too simple of a solution.

Should I carry on with this:
Fx=max
Fy=may

then just find the resultant of F, which is 0.78N?

Yeah, you need to resolve the force into components, because only the horizontal component will contribute to moving the machine horizontally. Obviously the vertical component won't contribute to moving the machine horizontally.

So the procedure would be to find the force Fx that would produce the required acceleration ax, and from that, and the angle, compute the resulting Fy.

EDIT: or just use the angle theta plus Fx to compute the resultant directly.

Okay, you added this part into your original post later:

racecar12 said:
then just find the resultant of F.

Fx = -9.47
Fy = -118.58

Resultant F = 118.96N...that seems way too much?

Your Fy is wrong. Plain and simple. Can you post the steps you used to calculate it?

To find Fy, I used the mass of the object x the negative acceleration due to gravity.

F= 12.1(-9.8)

I'm missing the normal force, I think? But now, I am unsure how to calculate it

racecar12 said:
To find Fy, I used the mass of the object x the negative acceleration due to gravity.

F= 12.1(-9.8)

I'm missing the normal force, I think? But now, I am unsure how to calculate it

Gravity has nothing to do with anything here. You are computing the y-component of the force that the person is applying to the object. It comes out just as a consequence of the geometry of the situation. If he's pushing with an angle of 44.1 degrees below horizontal, and the x-component is 9.4 N, then the y-component is completely determined.

Gravity acts on the object too. It tries to pull it towards the centre of the Earth. But it is countered by the normal force from the ground, and so the object stays put. None of this is relevant to the problem at hand. You're considering force on the object from the person, not from gravity, or from the ground.

Thanks for the clarification about gravity :)

I went back to find the y component of the vector...to equal 1.33sin41?

I thought 9.4 was the x component of the Force.

Does 1.33sin41 equal the y comonent of velocity? If so, then I could go about finiding the y component of acceleration and solve for Fy?

racecar12 said:
Thanks for the clarification about gravity :)

I went back to find the y component of the vector...to equal 1.33sin41?

No. 1.33 m/s is the speed after 1.7 s, and is entirely horizontal. It has absolutely nothing to do with what you are trying to compute here.

racecar12 said:
I thought 9.4 was the x component of the Force.
Yes.

racecar12 said:
Does 1.33sin41 equal the y comonent of velocity?
Again, no. The velocity is entirely horizontal, and it's not the thing that you are trying to compute (so I'm not sure why you keep talking about it). You're trying to compute the force.

racecar12 said:
If so, then I could go about finiding the y component of acceleration and solve for Fy?

You don't need to find the acceleration first! Just draw a diagram. You have your (overall) force vector. It is angled at 44.1 degrees below the horizontal. Now resolve this vector into component vectors Fx and Fy. Fx is horizontal and Fy is vertical. These three vectors form a right triangle. You know one of the sides (Fx) and you know one of the angles (θ), in addition to the 90 degree angle. Given this information, and the fact that it is a right triangle, how would you solve for Fy? It's entirely trigonometry.

Did what you said...

Fx = 9.4
Fy = 9.1

F = 13.1N

Thank you

1. How does the weight of the object affect the force required to push down the handle?

The weight of the object does not directly affect the force required to push down the handle. However, the weight does affect the amount of force needed to move the object along the handle.

2. What is the relationship between the weight of the object and the length of the handle?

The length of the handle does not have a direct relationship with the weight of the object. However, a longer handle may provide more leverage and make it easier to push down the handle.

3. How does the force applied to the handle affect the movement of the object?

The force applied to the handle determines the acceleration of the object. The greater the force, the faster the object will move along the handle.

4. Is there a specific formula for calculating the force required to push down the handle?

Yes, the formula for calculating the force required to push down the handle is force = mass x acceleration. In this case, the mass of the object is 12.1kg and the acceleration is determined by the force applied.

5. How does the angle of the handle affect the force needed to push down the object?

The angle of the handle does not directly affect the force needed to push down the object. However, a steeper angle may require more force to overcome the force of gravity pulling the object down.