Personal conflict over whether or not to start hormones

• Medical
  • Thread starter G037H3
  • Start date
  • Tags
    hormones
In summary, the conversation revolves around the topic of gender transition through hormone therapy. The speakers share their personal experiences and offer advice on counseling and decision-making. They also discuss the risks and benefits of hormone therapy and the importance of seeking guidance from experienced professionals. One speaker notes that gender reassignment surgery is becoming more mainstream and advises the individual to gather information and receive advice before making a decision. Ultimately, the conversation highlights the importance of support and understanding from family and friends during this difficult process.
G037H3
I'm trans, and am in a personal conflict over whether or not to start hormones. I know that counseling is required first, but it is such a major decision that I feel that I should have more of a settled direction or plan than I currently do. I'm wondering if anyone here knows anything about the topic that I do not, etc.

Biology news on Phys.org

A good friend of mine went female-to-male. He always thought that when he went through the change, he'd move to a new place, get a new job, start a new life. But based on advice he got from his counselors, he stayed in the same job, same everything.

Turned out to be great advice. He changed, we all adjusted and gave him support and friendship. He became a very happy guy - settled down, married, became a family man.

Had he not taken the advice of the counselor, he would have gone through it totally alone. I suppose he could have done it that way but I think it's better that he didn't.

My point is, you don't have to head into counseling with all the loose ends tied down. Hopefully your counselors will be experienced enough and will give you guidance. They know the pitfalls and can give points on how to avoid them.

Best of luck to you!

Thanks.

Like lisab, I know someone who stayed put. He married my aunt after her divorce, and after she died, he went male-to-female. They had a couple of children together and both of them gave him emotional support as he went through the transition. I hadn't been particularly close to him, and it was a surprise to see him out as a woman mid-transition. I knew she looked vaguely familiar but still she had to reintroduce herself. I attended a funeral with the daughter not long after (pretty little thing) and she said "Whatever makes Dad happy, I'm all for it." If you have family and/or friends or co-workers that will give you that kind of support, stay where you are and accept their support. Good luck and happiness.

Eh, I'm 19...no real family or friends.

G037H3 said:
Eh, I'm 19...no real family or friends.
Sorry to hear that. It's tough for anyone to feel that isolated. Good luck, whatever you decide.

I don't know much about your situation however I spent enough time as a nurse (I am still licensed) to know that hormone therapy has many risks. Please listen and do exactly what your doctors say to do. They can manage the risks and make hormone therapy sucessful for you. Our hormones are like the control switches for our body and much caution should be used for manipulating them, however this is just the thing a 21st century doctor is trained for. Last of all no one can deny the benefits of starting hormone therapy. Regardless of what churches say it is an effective way to change. We have learned so much about our bodies over the past and in this century and, if one is in the wrong body, we have the medical professionals to help change that. There is almost nothing in medical science without consequences, even your anitbotics, but that is the nature of life. My best advice is to listen to the councelors and doctors. They know far more about this than we do. I hope you find what you want. This is a most difficult choice for you and I wish you the best in your journey.

err, kgbgru...look up John Money

i know more about HRT and transgenderism than most doctors...it isn't a mainstream medical subject

G037H3 said:
I'm trans, and am in a personal conflict over whether or not to start hormones. I know that counseling is required first, but it is such a major decision that I feel that I should have more of a settled direction or plan than I currently do.

I don't know anything about the procedure, but I do know major decisions such as these should not be rushed. I can imagine you have a soup of feelings swirling about in your head. The best thing you can do is gather as much information as you can (as you are doing) and receive as much advice as you are able (as you are doing).

Life has no one path to success and happiness. You should understand you can excel at life whether you do or don't follow with the procedure. It's a win-win and much can be gained from either decision. It's all about perspective.

I realize this could be a difficult time for you, but PF is here for you! Keep us updated! :smile:

G037H3 said:
err, kgbgru...look up John Money

i know more about HRT and transgenderism than most doctors...it isn't a mainstream medical subject

Actually, these days, it is. You simply need to know who to look up.

- mugs

mugaliens said:

- mugs
Yes. A former client of mine was a Viet-Nam era war hero (Silver Star, though he deserved the MOH, IMO), and he performs gender-reassignment surgeries as part of his practice.

mugaliens said:

- mugs

Well, it probably helps that I'm near Seattle. I know quite a bit about gender and sex from the research papers that I've read, though my knowledge is by no means perfect. Counseling first, etc. =/

Greg Bernhardt said:
I don't know anything about the procedure, but I do know major decisions such as these should not be rushed. I can imagine you have a soup of feelings swirling about in your head. The best thing you can do is gather as much information as you can (as you are doing) and receive as much advice as you are able (as you are doing).

Life has no one path to success and happiness. You should understand you can excel at life whether you do or don't follow with the procedure. It's a win-win and much can be gained from either decision. It's all about perspective.

I realize this could be a difficult time for you, but PF is here for you! Keep us updated! :smile:

Thanks. "Soup of feelings" is an understatement, to say the least.

Check out

susans.org
tgboards.com
beginninglifeforums.com

1. What are the potential risks and benefits of starting hormone therapy?

Starting hormone therapy can have both physical and emotional effects. Some potential risks include changes in mood, weight gain, and increased risk of blood clots. However, the benefits may include a more aligned gender identity, improved mental health, and physical changes such as breast development or facial hair growth.

2. How do hormones affect the body and what changes can be expected?

Hormones can affect the body in various ways, depending on the individual's assigned sex at birth and the hormones they are taking. For transgender individuals, hormone therapy can lead to changes in body fat distribution, muscle mass, and hair growth. Other changes may include a deepening of the voice or breast development. It is important to discuss the desired changes and potential side effects with a medical professional.

3. How long does it take for hormones to start taking effect?

The timeline for hormone therapy effects varies for each individual. Some may start to see changes within a few weeks, while others may take several months. The rate of changes also depends on the dosage and type of hormones being taken.

4. Can stopping hormone therapy have negative effects?

Stopping hormone therapy can have negative effects, especially if it is done suddenly. It is important to work with a medical professional to slowly taper off hormones and monitor any potential side effects. Suddenly stopping hormone therapy can lead to mood swings, changes in energy levels, and other physical and emotional changes.

5. How can I manage personal conflicts surrounding starting hormone therapy?

Personal conflicts surrounding starting hormone therapy can be challenging to navigate. It is important to seek support from a therapist, support group, or trusted friends and family members. It may also be helpful to discuss concerns and fears with a medical professional and make an informed decision based on individual needs and desires.