Undergoing major personality changes in early adulthood - how common?

• Thread starter Pleonasm
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Major
In summary, the conversation discusses the changes in an individual's personality and whether it is due to natural evolution or mental health issues. The person in question has exhibited a significant change in behavior from their late teens to their mid 20s, but their feelings towards the speaker have remained consistent. The possibility of mental health issues is considered, but it is also noted that changes in personality are common during early adulthood. The conversation ends with the suggestion to get to know the person again before making any decisions and to seek medical advice if necessary.
Pleonasm
Having regained touch with someone I acquainted online (only) in their late teens, I get the impression that major changes to this individuals personality has taken place, and I wish to know how much of that is attributed to the natural evolution of ones personality and maturity versus mental health issues?

The person as a teen exhibited a fairly normal demeanor over text and did not express much excentric views and opinions at all. Now several years later, this individual in their mid 20s appears highly quirky and excentric, completely unrecognizable from the 19 year old I originally got to know. The feelings towards me are however consistent over time and there is still a common ground.

Is what I'm describing indications of possible mental health issues, or are major personality changes in early adulthood common?

Biology news on Phys.org
Being quite different to your teenage self is not only normal it’s quite desirable. Rarely is an adult being described as “unchanged since teen years” a good thing.

Likes Spinnor
Ryan_m_b said:
Being quite different to your teenage self is not only normal it’s quite desirable. Rarely is an adult being described as “unchanged since teen years” a good thing.

The said person has experienced major psychological crisis, but apparently suffered from depressions long before we got in touch.

What frightens me is that I would not be able to identify this person over text just 6 years later, and this was someone fairly close to me online that I routinely socialized with. What amazes me further is that the soft spot this person had for me is still present.

So regaining touch is a mixed blessing.

Many people suffer from mental health problems but that’s by no means the only factor in differences between people as adults and people as teens. Do you honestly expect people and relationships not to change? It’s a fact of life that, through different experiences, we all change to some degree over time and many relationships fade as people drift apart.

It's impossible to diagnose a change in personality over the internet! Could be normal, due to injury, drugs, previous medical condition, genetic, adiction who knows.

You will have to get to know them again before deciding if you want them in your life. If your first instinct is to be frightened I would go very carefully.

CWatters said:
It's impossible to diagnose a change in personality over the internet! Could be normal, due to injury, drugs, previous medical condition, genetic, adiction who knows.

You will have to get to know them again before deciding if you want them in your life. If your first instinct is to be frightened I would go very carefully.

Would you give it a try if you really cared for the person, as I did? I don't know what I'm getting into here but I really liked the person. Like I said, the affection towards me is unaffected by all of this, and that's at least somewhat reassuring.

Pleonasm said:
Having regained touch with someone I acquainted online (only) in their late teens, I get the impression that major changes to this individuals personality has taken place, and I wish to know how much of that is attributed to the natural evolution of ones personality and maturity versus mental health issues?

If your interest in that topic is confined to the case of one particular person, it's not a promsing line of scientific inquiry. As a general question, you can find lots of statistical studies about how personality changes with age. Look up studies about how the MMPI score changes with age.

CWatters said:
It's impossible to diagnose a change in personality over the internet!
Indeed. Thread is closed temporarily for a Mentor discussion...

@Pleonasm -- please encourage this person to see a medical professional. We cannot offer any medical advice here at the PF.

Thread will remain closed.

1. What are some common causes of major personality changes during early adulthood?

There are a variety of factors that can contribute to major personality changes during early adulthood. These can include life events such as graduating from college, starting a new job, moving to a new city, or experiencing a significant loss. Biological changes, such as changes in brain development, can also play a role in personality changes during this time.

2. Is it normal to experience major personality changes during early adulthood?

Yes, it is completely normal to undergo major personality changes during early adulthood. This is a time of significant growth and development, and it is common for individuals to reassess their values, beliefs, and goals, which can lead to changes in personality.

3. Can major personality changes in early adulthood be permanent?

While it is possible for major personality changes to be permanent, it is not always the case. Personality is a complex and multifaceted aspect of a person, and it can continue to evolve and change throughout their entire life. Additionally, factors such as therapy, self-reflection, and personal growth can also play a role in shaping one's personality.

4. Are there any potential negative effects of undergoing major personality changes during early adulthood?

While change can be difficult and unsettling, undergoing major personality changes during early adulthood does not necessarily have negative effects. However, it is important to be mindful of any drastic changes that may be harmful or detrimental to one's well-being. Seeking support from loved ones and professionals can help navigate these changes in a healthy and positive way.

5. Can major personality changes during early adulthood be beneficial?

Yes, major personality changes during early adulthood can be beneficial. These changes can lead to personal growth, increased self-awareness, and a better understanding of oneself. They can also help individuals adapt to new challenges and experiences, and lead to a more fulfilling and meaningful life.