Perspective sketches from 4D to 3D?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of "drawing" or visualizing a 4D image onto 3D space. It is noted that since 4D cannot be visualized, it would have to be done mathematically. There are some programs that map the 4th dimension to time and the other 3 to length, width, and height. A book called "Experiments in Four Dimensions" by Heiserman is mentioned as a resource for understanding these methods.
Curl
Just like we can draw 3D-looking images on paper, has anyone tried to "draw" out a 4D image onto 3D space? It's not really drawing, more like building. Since nobody can visualize 4D, it would have to be done mathematically. I've seen projections of hypercubes onto 3D, but it was still 2D since it was still a picture.A 3D hologram of 4D would be cool, although it might not be possible since light is limited to 3D space.

Has anyone studied higher dimension geometry to tell me more about this?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
It's possible to draw a certain perspective of a 3d image in 2d while preserving the 3rd dimension. There are some graphing programs that map the 4th dimension to time, and the other 3 to lwh. Lorenz attractors are graphed this way. I've thought about how to graph higher dimensions, but I can't really visualize it.

There is a book that deals with exactly this subject.

http://www.google.com/search?q=heiserman+experiments+in+four+dimensions

If you do as he says and actually do the exercises as he works up from 1D to 2D to 3D to 4D you can understand the methods.

15 or 20 years ago I had a copy of that, but have no idea where it is now.

1. What is the difference between 4D and 3D perspective sketches?

4D perspective sketches involve adding the element of time to a 3D sketch, creating a more dynamic representation of an object or scene. This can be achieved through techniques such as animation or showing different perspectives over time.

2. How can 4D perspective sketches be useful in scientific research?

4D perspective sketches can help scientists visualize complex data or processes in a more intuitive and comprehensive way. This can aid in understanding and communicating scientific concepts, as well as identifying patterns or trends.

3. What tools or software are needed to create 4D perspective sketches?

There are various tools and software available for creating 4D perspective sketches, such as computer-aided design (CAD) software, animation software, or virtual reality (VR) tools. The specific tools needed will depend on the desired level of detail and complexity of the sketch.

4. Can 4D perspective sketches be used in any field of science?

Yes, 4D perspective sketches can be applied to many different fields of science, including biology, physics, engineering, and more. They can be particularly useful in fields that deal with complex systems or processes, such as climate science or molecular biology.

5. How can 4D perspective sketches be incorporated into scientific presentations or publications?

4D perspective sketches can enhance scientific presentations or publications by providing a visual aid that can help clarify and illustrate key concepts. They can be included in presentations as animations or videos, or in publications as figures or interactive elements.