1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Perturbation Theory transmission probability

1. Jan 5, 2008 #1
    I'm trying to bridge the gap between several expressions describing the insertion of a constant perturbation:

[tex]a_{f}(t) = \frac{1}{i\hbar} V_{fi} \int^{t}_{0} e^{i(E_{f}-E_{i})t'/\hbar}dt' = \frac{1}{i\hbar}V_{fi}\frac{e^{i(E_{f}-E_{i})t/\hbar} - 1}{i(E_{f}-E_{i})/\hbar}[/tex]

so:

[tex]|a_{f}(t)|^{2} = \frac{1}{\hbar^{2}}|V_{fi}|^{2} 2 \frac{1 - cos(E_{f} - E_{i})t/\hbar}{(E_{f} - E_{i})^{2}/\hbar^{2}}[/tex]

^ I'm not sure how they arrive at that step... I assume it's something to do with the Euler equation, but I can't see how if it is where the sin terms disappear to...

Furthermore, they state that:

[tex]P_{if} = \frac{d}{dt}|a_{f}(t)|^{2} = \frac{2\pi}{\hbar}|V_{fi}|^{2}\frac{sin(E_{f} - E_{i})t/\hbar}{\pi(E_{f} - E_{i})} \stackrel{}{\rightarrow}\frac{2\pi}{\hbar}|V_{fi}|^2\delta(E_{f} - E_{i})[/tex] for large t

Which baffles me further - factors of [tex]\pi[/tex] have krept in somehow!

Would be more than thankful is someone would be able to explain these steps! Thanks in advance :smile:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 5, 2008 #2
    The numerator is of the form

[tex]e^{i\,x}-1=e^{i\,x/2}(e^{i\,x/2}-e^{-i\,x/2})=e^{i\,x/2}\,2\,i\,\sin\frac{x}{2}\Rightarrow |e^{i\,x}-1|=2\,\sin\frac{x}{2}[/tex]

so squaring that

[tex]|e^{i\,x}-1|^2=4\,\sin^2\frac{x}{2}=4\,\frac{1-\cos x}{2}=2\,(1-\cos x)[/tex]

For a proper [itex]\phi(x)[/itex], holds

[tex]\lim_{k\rightarrow \infty}\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}\frac{\sin(k\,x)}{\pi\,x} \phi(x)\,d\,x=\phi (0)\Rightarrow \lim_{k\rightarrow \infty}\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}\frac{\sin(k\,x)}{\pi\,x}\,d\,x=\delta (0)[/tex]

that's why the [itex]\pi[/itex] disappears! :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?