Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

PF denizen sighted in the north woods.

1. Aug 25, 2007 #1

turbo

Gold Member

[​IMG]

Here's a shot of the 100-foot falls visible from that overlook.
    [​IMG]

When we were kids, my friends and I used to hike into this gorge and spend the whole day climbing, swimming, or just sitting in the water cooling off and eating our lunches. Since this town has become a magnet for rafters and kayakers, the traffic to this waterfall has increased, and the trail has been reinforced, and permanent stairs and railed overlooks have been built to protect both the terrain and the visitors. A number of people have died here due to carelessness and ill-advised rescue attempts.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 25, 2007 #2

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Cool! An Astronuc sighting!

4. Aug 25, 2007 #3

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Beautiful shots turbo. Gee, I recognize these PF denizens. :biggrin:

5. Aug 25, 2007 #4
    The place looks great!

6. Aug 25, 2007 #5

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I wouldn't get to excited MIH. Astronuc is a myth. People have been doctoring photo's with "Astronuc" in them for decades. People do it just for the money, as with any other mythical woods creature like Bigfoot, or sea monster like Nessie. This one is obviously a photoshop......:biggrin:

7. Aug 25, 2007 #6

turbo

Gold Member

Thanks, MIH and Evo. We had a wonderful afternoon. You can see from the heavy haze in the shots that the humidity was high. The rain stopped while we were hiking into the falls, and my camera's viewfinder and my glasses fogged up every time I tried to take a shot.:uhh: Still, a few came out OK.

8. Aug 25, 2007 #7

turbo

Gold Member

Caught! Actually, I had to crop out the Bigfoot before I could cut and paste Astronuc into the shot. Darned Sasquatches are taking over the state now that hunting them is against the law. They are such camera-hogs that they try to get into every shot.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2007
  9. Aug 25, 2007 #8

turbo

Gold Member

It's a beautiful place. A friend and I hiked in on snowshoes on a sunny below-zero day the day after an ice storm. The whole gorge was a giant chandelier of ice. Unfortunately, I was not able to afford a camera or film or processing when I was a kid - I'd love to have pictures of that.

10. Aug 25, 2007 #9

Danger

Gold Member

There's no mistaking the Bearded Wonder alright. Who's the other dude?

11. Aug 25, 2007 #10

turbo

Gold Member

If I told you I'd have to kill you. The Bearded Wonder is very strict about this.

12. Aug 25, 2007 #11

Danger

Gold Member

Oh; alright, then.

13. Aug 25, 2007 #12

turbo

Gold Member

You know stars and their entourages. I wouldn't want to be mistaken for a paparazzi by this guy! Big guns.

14. Aug 25, 2007 #13

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Ah, so that's not you.

15. Aug 25, 2007 #14

turbo

Gold Member

No, that's someone 40 years my junior and about 30 lbs lighter. Nice kid!

16. Aug 25, 2007 #15

Danger

Gold Member

No, no... the one in the orange shirt... :rolleyes:

17. Aug 25, 2007 #16

turbo

Gold Member

Why I oughtta... :grumpy: MIH, do you have a fairly large swordfish frozen in case Danger persists in these personal attacks? He can't come to the US due to some unresolved issues, and I have similar issues preventing me from entering the great white north, so we need to agree on a mediator who has kept his/her nose clean to resolve this cross-border issue.

18. Aug 25, 2007 #17

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You're gonna reach across the border and poke him with the frozen swordfish?! :rofl:

19. Aug 25, 2007 #18

turbo

Gold Member

No, I was hoping that you would lure him to the Thousand-Isands region or some other nice touristy place and give him a good swat with that fish. There's no need to go for a fatal thrust - just teach him a lesson.

20. Aug 25, 2007 #19

Danger

Gold Member

You already got your revenge, you old fart. I snorted beer all over my keyboard reading that last post. :grumpy:

21. Aug 25, 2007 #20
    No comments on Astro's huge arm!? :approve:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?