PF denizen sighted in the north woods.

• Thread starter turbo
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolved around a group of friends reminiscing about their childhood adventures at a waterfall that has become popular among tourists due to the increase in water sports activities. The group also discussed a recent visit from a Physics Forums member, Astronuc, who shared photos from his trip to the waterfall and surrounding area. There was some joking and teasing among the group, including mention of a possible visit from another member, Clausius. Suggestions for other activities in the area were also shared.
turbo
Gold Member
moxie.jpg

Here's a shot of the 100-foot falls visible from that overlook.
thefalls.jpg

When we were kids, my friends and I used to hike into this gorge and spend the whole day climbing, swimming, or just sitting in the water cooling off and eating our lunches. Since this town has become a magnet for rafters and kayakers, the traffic to this waterfall has increased, and the trail has been reinforced, and permanent stairs and railed overlooks have been built to protect both the terrain and the visitors. A number of people have died here due to carelessness and ill-advised rescue attempts.

Physics news on Phys.org
Cool! An Astronuc sighting!

Beautiful shots turbo. Gee, I recognize these PF denizens. :biggrin:

The place looks great!

Math Is Hard said:
Cool! An Astronuc sighting!

I wouldn't get to excited MIH. Astronuc is a myth. People have been doctoring photo's with "Astronuc" in them for decades. People do it just for the money, as with any other mythical woods creature like Bigfoot, or sea monster like Nessie. This one is obviously a photoshop...:biggrin:

Thanks, MIH and Evo. We had a wonderful afternoon. You can see from the heavy haze in the shots that the humidity was high. The rain stopped while we were hiking into the falls, and my camera's viewfinder and my glasses fogged up every time I tried to take a shot.:uhh: Still, a few came out OK.

G01 said:
I wouldn't get to excited MIH. Astronuc is a myth. People have been doctoring photo's with "Astronuc" in them for decades. People do it just for the money, as with any other mythical woods creature like Bigfoot, or sea monster like Nessie. This one is obviously a photoshop...:biggrin:
Caught! Actually, I had to crop out the Bigfoot before I could cut and paste Astronuc into the shot. Darned Sasquatches are taking over the state now that hunting them is against the law. They are such camera-hogs that they try to get into every shot.

Last edited:
neutrino said:
The place looks great!
It's a beautiful place. A friend and I hiked in on snowshoes on a sunny below-zero day the day after an ice storm. The whole gorge was a giant chandelier of ice. Unfortunately, I was not able to afford a camera or film or processing when I was a kid - I'd love to have pictures of that.

Evo said:
I recognize these PF denizens. :biggrin:

There's no mistaking the Bearded Wonder alright. Who's the other dude?

Danger said:
There's no mistaking the Bearded Wonder alright. Who's the other dude?
If I told you I'd have to kill you. The Bearded Wonder is very strict about this.

Oh; alright, then.

You know stars and their entourages. I wouldn't want to be mistaken for a paparazzi by this guy! Big guns.

Ah, so that's not you.

No, that's someone 40 years my junior and about 30 lbs lighter. Nice kid!

turbo-1 said:
No, that's someone 40 years my junior and about 30 lbs lighter. Nice kid!

No, no... the one in the orange shirt... :rolleyes:

Danger said:
No, no... the one in the orange shirt... :rolleyes:
Why I oughtta... :grumpy: MIH, do you have a fairly large swordfish frozen in case Danger persists in these personal attacks? He can't come to the US due to some unresolved issues, and I have similar issues preventing me from entering the great white north, so we need to agree on a mediator who has kept his/her nose clean to resolve this cross-border issue.

You're going to reach across the border and poke him with the frozen swordfish?! :rofl:

Math Is Hard said:
You're going to reach across the border and poke him with the frozen swordfish?! :rofl:
No, I was hoping that you would lure him to the Thousand-Isands region or some other nice touristy place and give him a good swat with that fish. There's no need to go for a fatal thrust - just teach him a lesson.

You already got your revenge, you old fart. I snorted beer all over my keyboard reading that last post. :grumpy:

Greg Bernhardt said:
No comments on Astro's huge arm!? :approve:

Ummm... I'm straight, but feel free to continue your fantasies.

Thanks for free tickets to the gun show astronuc!

Danger said:
Ummm... I'm straight, but feel free to continue your fantasies.

I'm just saying, I'm impressed!

I didn't realize how ripped Astronuc is! Is that Clausius visiting too? I know they've met up before, but didn't think he'd travel all the way across the country for a visit, but I suspect that's the back of his head.

nice place man

Moonbear said:
I didn't realize how ripped Astronuc is! Is that Clausius visiting too? I know they've met up before, but didn't think he'd travel all the way across the country for a visit, but I suspect that's the back of his head.
Not Causius - Astronuc was the only PFer visiting. It was a very nice visit, though too short to do much more than share some good food and conversation and make a day-trip to the woods to see this pretty waterfall. There's a lot more to do and to see in central/northern Maine, but it's a big spread-out place and you'd need at least a week's vacation to even scratch the surface.

Hike Mt Kineo for a vista of Moosehead Lake? That'll burn much of a day, including drive time. Ditto for canoing the Kennebec River or doing some hiking and sight-seeing at Grafton Notch state park or visiting Gulf Hagas - one of the most beautiful canyons anywhere - with rugged trails, waterfalls, and pools and a hiking trail loop that is a spur off the Appalachian Trail.

ank_gl said:
nice place man
It's not too far from where I grew up, and I like to take visitors there - their cameras get quite a work-out. :smile:

turbo-1 said:
It was a very nice visit, though too short to do much more than share some good food and conversation and make a day-trip to the woods to see this pretty waterfall.

Did he get to taste some of your homemade habanero sauces or salsas? I know Astronuc is a fellow hot-sauce afficionado.

Moonbear said:
Did he get to taste some of your homemade habanero sauces or salsas? I know Astronuc is a fellow hot-sauce afficionado.
For sure! My wife and I made another batch of hot pepper relish yesterday with habanero, jalapeno, lipstick chilis, and an assortment of chilis that Astronuc brought up. I'll have to get his mailing address (and a hazardous materials sticker) to send him a jar.

Well, I'm back home! My family and I had a great time with turbo-1 and wife. They are a very cool couple, and two of the finest people one could ever meet! :cool: As I expected the food was great (both turbo and wife are excellent cooks), turbo's place is great (and I love the garden), and the company was far out!

The hot sauces and relishes were exceptional. :tongue2:

I think turbo and I bored everyone else with our discussions on science and engineering. Turbo has one incredible background and is very versatile - sort of a jack of many trades.

The young fellow in the orange shirt is my son. He's almost looking me in the eye. I think he will end up a few inches taller. :approve:

I will definitely be heading back up that way, and I'll be bringing a kayak.

Last edited:
Astronuc said:
Well, I'm back home! My family and I had a great time with turbo-1 and wife. They are a very cool couple, and two of the finest people one could ever meet! :cool: As I expected the food was great (both turbo and wife are excellent cooks), turbo's place is great (and I love the garden), and the company was far out!

The hot sauces and relishes were exceptional. :tongue2:

I think turbo and I bored everyone else without discussions on science and engineering. Turbo has one incredible background and is very versatile - sort of a jack of many trades.

The young fellow in the orange shirt is my son. He's almost looking in the eye. I think he will end up a few inches taller. :approve:

I will definitely be heading back up that way, and I'll be bringing a kayak.
Glad to hear you'll be back. My wife and I had a great time, though she couldn't swing a day off on Friday to hit the woods with us.

To the people who have benefited from Astronuc's willingness to contribute on this forum: he is just as nice and thoughtful in person as he is on-line, and his family members are fun and nice too. Great guests.

1. What is a "PF denizen"?

A "PF denizen" refers to a creature or being that is believed to reside in the fictional world of Pathfinder, a popular tabletop role-playing game.

2. Where exactly in the north woods was the PF denizen sighted?

The exact location of the sighting is not specified, but it is believed to have occurred somewhere in the northern regions of the woods.

3. How reliable is the sighting of a PF denizen in the north woods?

As with any reported sighting of a mythical or fictional creature, the reliability of the sighting is uncertain and can vary depending on the source and evidence provided.

4. Are there any known dangers associated with encountering a PF denizen?

There are no known dangers associated with encountering a PF denizen, as they are purely fictional creatures and do not exist in the real world.

5. Are there any potential explanations for the sighting of a PF denizen in the north woods?

The sighting could potentially be attributed to a misidentification of a real animal or a hoax. It is also possible that the sighting was a result of someone playing a game of Pathfinder in the woods and being mistaken for a real creature.