PF is doing having a Politics section

• Thread starter Bystander
  • Start date
In summary, Nereid's suggestion to move the posts from the NOAA-NASA thread to a more general thread on science and society resulted in a failed attempt to communicate.
Bystander
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
"It's my own damn fault."

Bystander said:
Quote:Originally Posted by Nereid
"The idea for this thread came from the recent responses to my question about what PF is doing having a Politics section, if it isn't about things like outrage at ID/creationist political appointees at NASA imposing religion on science.

It also comes from this thread, about the importance of science and technology to the way the world works today. "

Quick administrative suggestion: lock 'em, and point people to this thread. They aren't finished, and they aren't going to be finished if new threads on the same question keep starting.

That was 2-21. Yesterday, I found the dialogue Alexandra and I were having in https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=108514 partitioned between there and here, https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=111663 .

My suggestion was intended to gather related discussion rather than disperse it. If it had been acted upon in timely fashion, I wouldn't be griping. I gave it a couple days, stayed out of both threads, nothing happened, then continued with the discussion in the original thread thinking it was going to remain separate.

News Flash! Now is NOT the time to partition that dialogue between two threads. The content of the posts that were moved is more conceptual than "Hansen-specific," but it still pertains to Hansen and his mixing of science, politics, and social activities.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I moved them, it was suggested that your discussion with Alexandria was more appropriate to Nereid's thread. I meant to leave a note in the old thread telling you two where the posts were moved since there is no re-direct, I apologize for that

Evo said:
I moved them, it was suggested that your discussion with Alexandria was more appropriate to Nereid's thread. I meant to leave a note in the old thread telling you two where the posts were moved since there is no re-direct, I apologize for that

From this, I take it that the suggestion came from a non-participant in the discussion.

If Alexandra is willing to discuss interactions of science, politics, and social structure to establish a context for assessing Hansen's activities, and if Alexandra and I can agree on such a context, the discussion belongs in the NOAA-NASA thread. If conclusions can be reached concerning the conduct of Hansen and that of the NASA "political flunky" within such a context, then people are welcome to try fitting the discussion into Nereid's more general thread on science and society.

I'm one of the participants, and I can't make heads or tails of the discussion in its present "dispersed" form.

Notes for P&WA guidelines discussion(s):

1) Nereid has started three threads on this same or closely related topics, and apparently abandoned them, hence my "administrative suggestion" quoted in the OP, not slamming Nereid, just something to consider when looking at general policies as far as keeping discussions organized;

2) when considering rearrangements and reassignments of posts, or sequences of posts, among threads containing established discussion, would it be possible to lock the threads and conduct a dialogue among the participants before implementing non-participants' suggestions?

Nereid starts threads that interest me, I participate, thread seems to be developing into a reasonable dialogue, this happens --- yeah, I'm irritated.

I'll be glad to split your discussion off into it's own thread.

Evo said:
I'll be glad to split your discussion off into it's own thread.

Bystander said:
My suggestion was intended to gather related discussion rather than disperse it.

Strother Martin: "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Excellent example of the "disconnects" among "science, politics, and society" that arise from "media" (PF ain't nearly as bad at distorting things as "the media") moderated "communications."

Bystander said:
Strother Martin: "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Excellent example of the "disconnects" among "science, politics, and society" that arise from "media" (PF ain't nearly as bad at distorting things as "the media") moderated "communications."
I'll read through them again, but I agreed with the suggestion they were rather off topic for the thread they were in.

Timeline:

1) Hansen screws up;

2) NOAA takes a big bite from his butt;

3) Hansen screams to the NYT;

4) NYT publishes;

5) Nereid posts;

6) Alexandra postulates a context;

7) Alexandra and I begin discussion of possible context;

8) things wind up here rather than establishing context in which to assess Hansen's activities.​

What is the purpose of having a politics section on PF?

The purpose of having a politics section on PF is to provide a platform for members to discuss and share their opinions on political issues that impact personal finance. This section allows for a diverse range of perspectives and promotes critical thinking and informed decision-making when it comes to financial matters.

What type of political discussions are allowed on PF?

All types of political discussions are allowed on PF as long as they relate to personal finance in some way. This includes discussions on government policies, economic trends, and how they may affect personal finances. However, discussions that promote hate speech or violate the forum's rules and guidelines will not be tolerated.

Why is it important to have a separate section for politics on PF?

Having a separate section for politics on PF allows for organized and focused discussions on this topic. It also ensures that members who are not interested in political discussions can easily avoid them and continue to engage with other personal finance topics. Additionally, having a dedicated section for politics allows for better moderation and ensures that the forum remains a safe and respectful space for all members.

Can I share my personal political views on PF?

Yes, you can share your personal political views on PF as long as they relate to personal finance and follow the forum's rules and guidelines. However, it is important to remember to be respectful and considerate of others' opinions and avoid promoting any type of hate speech or discrimination.

How can I contribute to the politics section on PF?

You can contribute to the politics section on PF by starting discussions, sharing your thoughts and opinions, and engaging in respectful debates with other members. You can also report any inappropriate or rule-breaking content to the moderators to help maintain a positive and informative environment for all members.