PF PHOTO CONTEST - In to the light (aug 15-22)

In summary, the contest rules are very clear and concise. You must resize your photos to a smaller size, crop them if you wish, and do not alter the brightness or contrast of the picture. You are allowed to add a watermark or your name/nickname to the photo for identification purposes. You are allowed to submit one photo per member per contest. Please post only pictures meant for submission in this thread.
matthyaouw
Gold Member
In to the light

I've heard it said that it is not a good idea to shoot into the light when taking photos but I don't know, I think it can be pretty cool. Show me photos taken pointing towards the sun or your light source.

Contest Rules:

1. Any digital photo or digitally-scanned photo relevant to the theme will be accepted within the contest period. In case there's a gray area, or you're not sure if the picture is suitable, check with me first.

2. Please resize your digital photo to no more than 650 x 490 or 490 x 650 pixels. You may also crop your picture if you wish. You are also allowed to adjust the brightness and contrast of your picture but these should not dramatically alter the look of the picture. But other than those, any form of picture editing or modification is not allowed. This is a photo contest, not a picture editing/special effect contest. You may add a watermark or your name/nickname to the photo for identification purposes.

3. Upload your photos to any of the photo servers such as imageshack or photobucket. Then post it the relevant contest thread and link your picture using the img command. PM me if you do not know how.

4. Only ONE picture per member per contest. Once a picture is posted, it cannot be changed other than a total withdrawl by that member from that week's photo contest. Exceptions will be made for modification to comply with the rules, such as resizing.

5. At the end of the contest period, I will open a poll and every PF member can vote for the picture they like best.

6. Note that in case we have a large number of entries, I will do the polling in more than one thread. If that's the case, you can vote in each of the polling threads. The photos will be assigned in the polling threads in the order they were submitted.

7. These pictures must be something that you took, not something taken off someone else's photo albums or taken by someone else. I have no way of checking if you did this, so we'll go by the honor system.

8. You can use a picture only once. Once it is used in a contest, it cannot be reused in another contest.

9. Please post only pictures meant for submission in this thread.

Physics news on Phys.org
sunset.jpg

Case and point that shooting into the light can be a very good thing. I love that picture.

That is a great shot!

wow!

Shooting into the light? Here you go:

http://z.about.com/d/space/1/5/Y/Q/sun_tour.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't trip, you'll fall all the way to Japan.

DSCR-3213.jpg

- Warren

ideasrule said:
Shooting into the light? Here you go:

http://z.about.com/d/space/1/5/Y/Q/sun_tour.jpg [Broken]
Please read the rules, your link is not acceptable.

Evo said:
Please read the rules, your link is not acceptable.

That was a joke. :rofl:

HPIM1345-1.jpg

Integral said:
HPIM1345-1.jpg

You got my vote!

w162ht.jpg

marzena_intothelight6.jpg

That's really cool, Andre

http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/9206/12p1010324.jpg [Broken]

billiards said:
http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/9206/12p1010324.jpg [Broken]
[/URL]

wow! is it the blue pool in that island in Italy? I forgot the name of the island. pedro, padro something like that?
EDIT: Capri island

P1000223.jpg

Looks like another good contest is brewing. :smile:

- Warren

We are just waiting for a cute kid with torch.

jobyts said:
wow! is it the blue pool in that island in Italy? I forgot the name of the island. pedro, padro something like that?
EDIT: Capri island

Not far off really... it's certainly a Mediterranean, karstic (limestone) system, deposited in the ancient Tethyan ocean and exhumed in the ongoing Alpine orogeny. :smile:

It's actually Kefalonia, off the west coast of Greece.

Borek said:
sunset.jpg

Great shot. I like the way the clouds point radially into the Sun; and the undulating hills add layers of depth that create a soft interface to the sky - very pleasing. :cool:

CA2LK7I3-1.jpg

Taken with a cellphone.. My Nokia 6650.. outside of my job (AT&T).. First time entering into one of these contests so let's see how it goes :)

Kronos5253 said:
CA2LK7I3-1.jpg

Taken with a cellphone.. My Nokia 6650.. outside of my job (AT&T).. First time entering into one of these contests so let's see how it goes :)

That's fantastic! All the pictures are stunning in this thread.

I'm going to have to pick my entry very carefully... these are excellent.

http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/4226/fieldz.jpg [Broken]

http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/2559/res02519.jpg [Broken]

Ooh, finally a contest I have something to enter into.

PolanoChurch.jpg

I'll have to check my spelling in my notes I took while in Mozambique, but this is taken from inside the Polano Church (or might be Polana...something like that). It took a bit of effort to get inside; we had to ask the groundskeeper, who pointed us toward the "secret entrance" from the rectory (being Mozambique, you'd never actually enter through any doorway marked "Entrance"...that's just to confuse the tourists). It was right next to the Netherlands Embassy, which we had visited that morning.

The church had beautiful stained glass, and this photo was from the peak in the middle...it was obviously a sunny day (I think it was very close to noon when I took this photo). I wish the better centered ones hadn't come out blurry. It was hard to see what I was photographing with the light in my eyes (this was a problem everywhere...the sun was so bright, I could rarely see what my camera was displaying on the screen, so aimed and hoped).

Moonbear said:
I'll have to check my spelling in my notes I took while in Mozambique, but this is taken from inside the Polano Church (or might be Polana...something like that). It took a bit of effort to get inside; we had to ask the groundskeeper, who pointed us toward the "secret entrance" from the rectory (being Mozambique, you'd never actually enter through any doorway marked "Entrance"...that's just to confuse the tourists). It was right next to the Netherlands Embassy, which we had visited that morning.

The church had beautiful stained glass, and this photo was from the peak in the middle...it was obviously a sunny day (I think it was very close to noon when I took this photo). I wish the better centered ones hadn't come out blurry. It was hard to see what I was photographing with the light in my eyes (this was a problem everywhere...the sun was so bright, I could rarely see what my camera was displaying on the screen, so aimed and hoped).

Moonie, I hope you're going to make a thread about your trip (with pix) :smile:!

lisab said:
Moonie, I hope you're going to make a thread about your trip (with pix) :smile:!

I think I should keep everyone in suspense, one photo contest at a time. :biggrin:

I will. I'm just starting to get the photos resized for online viewing (not that I have many). I returned sick, which really slowed me down from posting when I got back and expected to have a few days of rest to update everyone on my trip. Then I've been catching up on the housework and work work since then.

http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/2411/trucksazsunset000.jpg [Broken]​
[/URL]

Somewhere in Arizona on I 10. Forgot where exactly...

Mororvia - awesome shot.

Where is that?

<h2>1. What is the theme of the PF PHOTO CONTEST - In to the light (aug 15-22)?</h2><p>The theme of the PF PHOTO CONTEST - In to the light (aug 15-22) is "light". Participants are encouraged to submit photos that showcase the use of light in a creative and unique way.</p><h2>2. Who can participate in the PF PHOTO CONTEST - In to the light (aug 15-22)?</h2><p>The PF PHOTO CONTEST - In to the light (aug 15-22) is open to anyone who has a passion for photography. Both amateur and professional photographers are welcome to participate.</p><h2>3. How do I submit my photo for the PF PHOTO CONTEST - In to the light (aug 15-22)?</h2><p>To submit your photo, simply follow the instructions on the contest's website. You will need to provide your name, email address, and the photo file in the specified format.</p><h2>4. What are the judging criteria for the PF PHOTO CONTEST - In to the light (aug 15-22)?</h2><p>The judging criteria for the PF PHOTO CONTEST - In to the light (aug 15-22) include creativity, technical skill, and adherence to the theme. The judges will also consider the overall impact and composition of the photo.</p><h2>5. What is the prize for the winner of the PF PHOTO CONTEST - In to the light (aug 15-22)?</h2><p>The winner of the PF PHOTO CONTEST - In to the light (aug 15-22) will receive a cash prize and their winning photo will be featured on the contest's website and social media pages. They will also have the opportunity to be featured in a photography magazine.</p>

1. What is the theme of the PF PHOTO CONTEST - In to the light (aug 15-22)?

The theme of the PF PHOTO CONTEST - In to the light (aug 15-22) is "light". Participants are encouraged to submit photos that showcase the use of light in a creative and unique way.

2. Who can participate in the PF PHOTO CONTEST - In to the light (aug 15-22)?

The PF PHOTO CONTEST - In to the light (aug 15-22) is open to anyone who has a passion for photography. Both amateur and professional photographers are welcome to participate.

3. How do I submit my photo for the PF PHOTO CONTEST - In to the light (aug 15-22)?

To submit your photo, simply follow the instructions on the contest's website. You will need to provide your name, email address, and the photo file in the specified format.

4. What are the judging criteria for the PF PHOTO CONTEST - In to the light (aug 15-22)?

The judging criteria for the PF PHOTO CONTEST - In to the light (aug 15-22) include creativity, technical skill, and adherence to the theme. The judges will also consider the overall impact and composition of the photo.

5. What is the prize for the winner of the PF PHOTO CONTEST - In to the light (aug 15-22)?

The winner of the PF PHOTO CONTEST - In to the light (aug 15-22) will receive a cash prize and their winning photo will be featured on the contest's website and social media pages. They will also have the opportunity to be featured in a photography magazine.