PF PHOTO CONTEST - Lighthouse (11/9-11/15)

• Thread starter ZapperZ
  • Start date
Integral said:
Larkspur you sure have a nice eye for the photo. Beautiful pic.
Thanks Integral!
Integral said:
I am looking forward to getting back to the coast for a repeat of the Hecata Head shot. I took that photo from inside a Road side tourist trap, so it cost me $8 to get that angle. I would like to get that shot with some 30ft breakers hitting the cliffs.
You have quite a collection of nice photos yourself!

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Wow, that's really cool, Janus! You've definitely earned some bonus originality points for the choice of perspective. I think that photo just raised the stakes in the contest!

And, Danger, quit complaining. :biggrin: When I get to my other computer, I think the lighthouse I'm going to post a picture of required crossing the continent to photograph! (I don't think I have anything of better quality in old photos from the other coast.)

Evo
Mentor
Janus said:
As I can't find any exterior lighthouse shots that could challenge those already posted, I decided to go another route. Here's the inside of the Yaquina Head lighthouse, looking up the staircase to the top.
yaquina.jpg
AAARRRGGHH!!!! <falls out of chair>

Geeze, just looking at that makes me dizzy.

Danger
Gold Member
Moonbear said:
And, Danger, quit complaining.
Sure... one thing in the world that I'm really good at, and you're telling me to stop doing it... :grumpy:

ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Janus said:
As I can't find any exterior lighthouse shots that could challenge those already posted, I decided to go another route. Here's the inside of the Yaquina Head lighthouse, looking up the staircase to the top.
yaquina.jpg

Wasn't this a scene from Vertigo?

:)

Zz.

turbo
Gold Member
Janus said:
yaquina.jpg

Very cool. I have no exterior lighthouse photos to challenge the original entry, and I know that GeoMike would kick my ass with his entry anyway, so I have been looking for a photo I took of a lighthouse Fresnel lens many years back. No joy. I have cardboard boxes of prints (never bothered to create an indexed archive, despite almost 40 years of photography. :yuck:

One of my close friends retired as the head of the Maine Warden service, and I got to do some fairly fun stuff relating to warden training when he ran the training. He pressed me into service photo-documenting warden training relating to coastal-bird habitats, and the final field-training exercises before the trainees graduated. I got to spend most of a week on an island with these yahoos, acting as a poacher in their training scenarios. These were not scripted exercises. Pairs of trainees were given regions of the island to patrol, and I'd sneak into their territory on foot or maybe jump out of the back of a moving pickup at night with my favorite weapon (a sawed-off 12-gauge and a pocketful of blanks). I'd actually target a real deer (the island was loaded with 'em), "shoot it", then walk very slowly back to whatever landmark (like a cemetery) had been designated as the poacher's "house", stashing my gun and the imaginary game along the way. For the sake of realism, we had a road-killed deer and a bear that someone had shot out of season, so we had some real game to use. The wardens had to detect the poaching, locate likely suspects, and find weapons, game, etc to build their case. If they thought they had a case, I was handcuffed, put in the cruiser, and taken to "court" where the senior wardens would act as attorneys and judge and try to tear apart their case. It was pretty fun, even though things got a little too "realistic" at times. That trainee had no call whacking me with his mag-light! All I did was sweep-kick his legs out from under him and send him down during a night-time pursuit on foot.

ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
The Montauk lighthouse at the east end of Long Island, NY. It you can read the sign, it says that it was commissioned by President George Washington. It is the first lighthouse in NY state.

DCP_0288.jpg

Zz.

Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Well, GeoMike should enter this one (from Water, Water, Everywhere) or another from the same trip

[picture edited out - Zz]

There are lighthouses near me, but I'd have to go up river or down river.

Last edited by a moderator:
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Astronuc said:
Well, GeoMike should enter this one (from Water, Water, Everywhere) or another from the same trip

Pictures that have entered previous contests are no longer eligible, per our rules.

I will have to edit out the picture because only the ones for this contest can appear in this thread.

Zz.

Last edited:
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
You have 2 more days left to submit a picture for this contest. Obviously, this is a rather difficult contest to just go out and take a picture, unless you happen to be living near a lighthouse.

Zz.

Spring Point Ledge Light, Casco Bay, Maine (Fort Gorges in the background):
http://www.mcschell.com/lhouse.jpg [Broken]

-GeoMike-

Last edited by a moderator: