PF PHOTO CONTEST - Sunrise, Sunset (3/10-3/16)

In summary: I don't care for sunrise.In summary, the winner of the photo contest is the photo Sunset from my back deck, November 17th, 2006.
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Sunrise, Sunset

Our theme this week is on two of my favorite times of the day, sunrise and sunset. Your picture must have been taken during one of those times.

Contest Rules:

1. Any digital photo or digitally-scanned photo relevant to the theme will be accepted within the contest period. In case there's a gray area, or you're not sure if the picture is suitable, check with me first.

2. Please resize your digital photo to no more than 650 x 490 or 490 x 650 pixels. You may also crop your picture if you wish. But other than that, any form of picture editing or modification is not allowed. This is a photo contest, not a picture editing/special effect contest. You may add a watermark or your name/nickname to the photo for identification purposes.

3. Upload your photos to any of the photo servers such as imageshack. Then post it the relevant contest thread and link your picture using the img command. PM me if you do not know how.

4. Only ONE picture per member per contest. Once a picture is posted, it cannot be changed other than a total withdrawl by that member from that week's photo contest. Exceptions will be made for modification to comply with the rules, such as resizing.

5. At the end of the contest period, I will open a poll and every PF member can vote for the picture they like best.

6. Note that in case we have a large number of entries, I will do the polling in more than one thread. If that's the case, you can vote in each of the polling threads. The photos will be assigned in the polling threads in the order they were submitted.

7. These pictures must be something that you took, not something taken off someone else's photo albums or taken by someone else. I have no way of checking if you did this, so we'll go by the honor system.

8. You can use a picture only once. Once it is used in a contest, it cannot be reused in another contest.

9. Please post only pictures meant for submission in this thread.

Zz.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Sunset from my back deck, November 17th, 2006. One of the prettiest I have seen in a while. The cloud deck was just right - not too thick, not too thin, good altitude.

http://img120.imageshack.us/img120/2898/sunsetnov17jv3.jpg [Broken]

Edited to make the year 2006 not 2005. This pic was from last fall.

Last edited by a moderator:
Two of your favorite times of day? Hmmph...sunrise is certainly my least favorite time of day. :rofl: Okay, I know I have sunset pictures around somewhere in old photos...not sure if any of them will scan nicely (I should splurge on a better scanner), but I'll look.

Wow, turbo, that's gorgeous! I love when the sky turns bright pink for sunset!

Living on the east coast (not "THE East Coast"), I should be able to get some decent pictures of the sun rising over the sea, but alas, I don't have a good camera. I think I may have a couple of pictures of the setting sun, but I have used one of them before, and both look similar. :(

Does it have to be at sunrise/sunset or can it just be a picture with the sun playing a big role? Technically, the sun is always rising or setting...

altitude of sun <= 15 degrees :biggrin:

alex caps said:
Does it have to be at sunrise/sunset or can it just be a picture with the sun playing a big role? Technically, the sun is always rising or setting...

No, it can't have just a sun in it. It has to be during the time period that we normally associate with "sunrise" and "sunset".

Zz.

Moonbear said:
Wow, turbo, that's gorgeous! I love when the sky turns bright pink for sunset!
Thanks! There were some thin foreground clouds that were a pale purple color and one of them was situated in back of the white maples at left, making them look like they have a halo. The gaps showing the blue sky were neat, too. I've got lots of sunset pictures, but this one is my favorite because of the wide range of colors.

Alright, here it is, from the first of March, last year.

IMG_0463.jpg

P.S. I'm quite sure that this particular photo was not used in an earlier contest.

Here's a sunset over the Pacific Ocean. I apologise for the white specks, it is a scan of an old photo, taken 20 yrs ago.

http://home.earthlink.net/~parvey/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/sunset.jpg [Broken]

turbo-1 said:
Sunset from my back deck, November 17th, 2005. One of the prettiest I have seen in a while. The cloud deck was just right - not too thick, not too thin, good altitude.

I love the sky, turbo, good job.

Nice composition, ST!

Edit: Our posts crossed. I though this would end up directly under your entry, but you beat me to the punch. Anyway, my image is more like a snapshot and I got lucky with a pretty sky. Your image is actually composed and framed by the foreground-midground vegetation. Looks like a nice place to paddle during nesting season! (hint, hint...)

Last edited:
deletedbecausethesunwas16degreesinsteadof15woo [Broken]

alex caps said:
http://bikeflat.com/albums/album09/DSC_2215.sized.jpg [Broken]
[/URL]

I am not totally sure that this fits in with our theme. The sun looks to be still rather high up in the sky.

Zz.

Once I looked out of my window...

http://usera.imagecave.com/polkijuhzu322/P6080028ab.jpg

alex caps said:

Great photo, though, alex! :smile:

http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/9495/sunsetlg8.jpg [Broken]

http://home.comcast.net/~integral50/scenery/HPIM3309a.JPG [Broken]

Sunrise on the Oregon coast.

I can see this is going to be a tough competition already!

Moonbear said:
I can see this is going to be a tough competition already!
It will probably get pretty brutal - how many people can resist trying to capture an image of a pretty sunrise or sunset? I'll bet there are some real stunning examples yet to be submitted. Can't wait to see what we end up with!

alex caps said:
Well, all you had to do was tilt the camera by 1° :biggrin: jk.

Try another one! :tongue2:

148329731_e1a78f9011.jpg

Sunset over the Cullin mountains, Scotland.

Last edited:
I saw a good sunset on Friday... If only I had my camera with me... Which I lost in a recent apartment fire during August.

Last edited:
Not a picture, but a cool sunset video.

Wow, that things like a fighter jet.

418193476_4b4dd1ecb7_o.jpg

Larkspur, terrific shot!

Santa Fe sunset

santafesunset.jpg

ZapperZ said:
I am not totally sure that this fits in with our theme. The sun looks to be still rather high up in the sky.

Zz.
That's just from the camera angle.

Wait, that wasn't funny.

I'm sure you know what I mean anyway.

This will be a tough one. The pictures posted until now are one more beautiful than the other.

I don't know that this is my best shot of a sunrise/set, but neither is it my worst:
clights.jpg

larkspur said:
418193476_4b4dd1ecb7_o.jpg

larkspur, you have set a high bar once again. The bridge is static as all get-out, but the you have framed it with the bulk of the dark material at 1/3 height and with the boat pass-through set to the right as well, and with a slight tilt so the image has a built-in dynamic. Did I mention that the sunset is pretty, too? :!)

Last edited:
turbo-1 said:
larkspur, you have set a high bar once again. The bridge is static as all get-out, but the you have framed it with the bulk of the dark material at 1/3 height and with the boat pass-through set to the right as well, and with a slight tilt so the image has a built-in dynamic. Did I mention that the sunset is pretty, too? :!)

Glad you like it Turbo.:smile: (I hope it is not too difficult to see that it was taken just after sunset since you can't see the actual sun in the image. Do you find the bridge and water and all the other stuff too distracting:confused: )

Yours is outstandingly colorful! Love the purple!

<h2>1. What is the purpose of the PF PHOTO CONTEST - Sunrise, Sunset?</h2><p>The purpose of the PF PHOTO CONTEST - Sunrise, Sunset is to encourage photographers to capture the beauty of sunrises and sunsets and submit their best photos for a chance to win prizes and showcase their work.</p><h2>2. Who can participate in the PF PHOTO CONTEST - Sunrise, Sunset?</h2><p>The PF PHOTO CONTEST - Sunrise, Sunset is open to all photographers, both amateur and professional, who are interested in capturing the beauty of sunrises and sunsets.</p><h2>3. How do I submit my photos for the PF PHOTO CONTEST - Sunrise, Sunset?</h2><p>To submit your photos for the PF PHOTO CONTEST - Sunrise, Sunset, you can either upload them on the designated contest website or post them on social media with the designated hashtag.</p><h2>4. What are the judging criteria for the PF PHOTO CONTEST - Sunrise, Sunset?</h2><p>The judging criteria for the PF PHOTO CONTEST - Sunrise, Sunset include creativity, composition, technical skill, and how well the photo captures the essence of a sunrise or sunset.</p><h2>5. What are the prizes for the PF PHOTO CONTEST - Sunrise, Sunset?</h2><p>The prizes for the PF PHOTO CONTEST - Sunrise, Sunset may vary, but typically include cash prizes, photography equipment, and the opportunity to have your photo featured in a publication or exhibition.</p>

1. What is the purpose of the PF PHOTO CONTEST - Sunrise, Sunset?

The purpose of the PF PHOTO CONTEST - Sunrise, Sunset is to encourage photographers to capture the beauty of sunrises and sunsets and submit their best photos for a chance to win prizes and showcase their work.

2. Who can participate in the PF PHOTO CONTEST - Sunrise, Sunset?

The PF PHOTO CONTEST - Sunrise, Sunset is open to all photographers, both amateur and professional, who are interested in capturing the beauty of sunrises and sunsets.

3. How do I submit my photos for the PF PHOTO CONTEST - Sunrise, Sunset?

To submit your photos for the PF PHOTO CONTEST - Sunrise, Sunset, you can either upload them on the designated contest website or post them on social media with the designated hashtag.

4. What are the judging criteria for the PF PHOTO CONTEST - Sunrise, Sunset?

The judging criteria for the PF PHOTO CONTEST - Sunrise, Sunset include creativity, composition, technical skill, and how well the photo captures the essence of a sunrise or sunset.

5. What are the prizes for the PF PHOTO CONTEST - Sunrise, Sunset?

The prizes for the PF PHOTO CONTEST - Sunrise, Sunset may vary, but typically include cash prizes, photography equipment, and the opportunity to have your photo featured in a publication or exhibition.