Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

PF PHOTO CONTEST - Sunrise, Sunset (3/10-3/16)

1. Mar 10, 2007 #1

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Sunrise, Sunset

Our theme this week is on two of my favorite times of the day, sunrise and sunset. Your picture must have been taken during one of those times.

Contest Rules:

1. Any digital photo or digitally-scanned photo relevant to the theme will be accepted within the contest period. In case there's a gray area, or you're not sure if the picture is suitable, check with me first.

2. Please resize your digital photo to no more than 650 x 490 or 490 x 650 pixels. You may also crop your picture if you wish. But other than that, any form of picture editing or modification is not allowed. This is a photo contest, not a picture editing/special effect contest. You may add a watermark or your name/nickname to the photo for identification purposes.

3. Upload your photos to any of the photo servers such as imageshack. Then post it the relevant contest thread and link your picture using the img command. PM me if you do not know how.

4. Only ONE picture per member per contest. Once a picture is posted, it cannot be changed other than a total withdrawl by that member from that week's photo contest. Exceptions will be made for modification to comply with the rules, such as resizing.

5. At the end of the contest period, I will open a poll and every PF member can vote for the picture they like best.

6. Note that in case we have a large number of entries, I will do the polling in more than one thread. If that's the case, you can vote in each of the polling threads. The photos will be assigned in the polling threads in the order they were submitted.

7. These pictures must be something that you took, not something taken off someone else's photo albums or taken by someone else. I have no way of checking if you did this, so we'll go by the honor system.

8. You can use a picture only once. Once it is used in a contest, it cannot be reused in another contest.

9. Please post only pictures meant for submission in this thread.

Zz.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 10, 2007 #2

turbo

Gold Member

Sunset from my back deck, November 17th, 2006. One of the prettiest I have seen in a while. The cloud deck was just right - not too thick, not too thin, good altitude.

[​IMG]

Edited to make the year 2006 not 2005. This pic was from last fall.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2007
  4. Mar 10, 2007 #3

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Two of your favorite times of day? Hmmph...sunrise is certainly my least favorite time of day. :rofl: Okay, I know I have sunset pictures around somewhere in old photos...not sure if any of them will scan nicely (I should splurge on a better scanner), but I'll look.

Wow, turbo, that's gorgeous! I love when the sky turns bright pink for sunset!

5. Mar 10, 2007 #4
    Living on the east coast (not "THE East Coast"), I should be able to get some decent pictures of the sun rising over the sea, but alas, I don't have a good camera. I think I may have a couple of pictures of the setting sun, but I have used one of them before, and both look similar. :(

6. Mar 10, 2007 #5
    Does it have to be at sunrise/sunset or can it just be a picture with the sun playing a big role? Technically, the sun is always rising or setting...

7. Mar 10, 2007 #6
    altitude of sun <= 15 degrees :biggrin:

8. Mar 10, 2007 #7

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

No, it can't have just a sun in it. It has to be during the time period that we normally associate with "sunrise" and "sunset".

Zz.

9. Mar 10, 2007 #8

turbo

Gold Member

Thanks! There were some thin foreground clouds that were a pale purple color and one of them was situated in back of the white maples at left, making them look like they have a halo. The gaps showing the blue sky were neat, too. I've got lots of sunset pictures, but this one is my favorite because of the wide range of colors.

10. Mar 10, 2007 #9
    Alright, here it is, from the first of March, last year.

[​IMG]

P.S. I'm quite sure that this particular photo was not used in an earlier contest.

11. Mar 10, 2007 #10

Janus

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Here's a sunset over the Pacific Ocean. I apologise for the white specks, it is a scan of an old photo, taken 20 yrs ago.

[​IMG]

12. Mar 10, 2007 #11

SpaceTiger

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Just took my first sunset photos yesterday. Here's one of them:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 11, 2007
  13. Mar 10, 2007 #12

SpaceTiger

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I love the sky, turbo, good job.

14. Mar 10, 2007 #13

turbo

Gold Member

Nice composition, ST!

Edit: Our posts crossed. I though this would end up directly under your entry, but you beat me to the punch. Anyway, my image is more like a snapshot and I got lucky with a pretty sky. Your image is actually composed and framed by the foreground-midground vegetation. Looks like a nice place to paddle during nesting season! (hint, hint...)

Last edited: Mar 10, 2007
  15. Mar 10, 2007 #14
    it was very hard for me to pick just one... i got one taken from the highest point of a mountain, above the clouds... it's surreal... and i had a picture which looks just like a painting.

but i had to choose just one, so here it is...
    [​IMG]

16. Mar 10, 2007 #15
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 10, 2007
  17. Mar 10, 2007 #16

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I am not totally sure that this fits in with our theme. The sun looks to be still rather high up in the sky.

Zz.

18. Mar 10, 2007 #17

radou

Homework Helper

Once I looked out of my window...

[​IMG]

19. Mar 10, 2007 #18

SpaceTiger

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Great photo, though, alex! :smile:

20. Mar 11, 2007 #19

hypnagogue

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

21. Mar 11, 2007 #20

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

[​IMG]

Sunrise on the Oregon coast.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?