PH, Buffers, and Dilution question

In summary, the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation explains how the pH of a solution depends on the ratio of acid to its conjugate base. This concept can also be applied to extremely diluted solutions, where the dissociation of water becomes more important. However, for solutions with a very low concentration of acid, the approximation towards water cannot be neglected and the pH would be calculated using the equation -log(sqrt Kw) = 7 at 298K. The equilibrium constant expression for weak acids or bases has been discussed on forums and this topic is frequently encountered.
habman_6
I understand the henderson-hasselbalch equation, and how the pH of a solution depends on the ratio of acid to its conjugate base. However, I don't understand how this concept can be related to solutions that are extremely diluted.

For example, let's say you have 0.00001M acid+c.base. According to Henderson-Hasselbalch, the pH will still = pKa, since the log ratio is equal to 1. But does this make sense logically? I mean with that little acid, there are so little H+ ions dissociated, so how can the pH possibly equal the pKa (especially if the pKa is very low for that specific acid)??

Chemistry news on Phys.org
The dissociation of water becomes much more important for dilute solutions of acids (or bases). The K value for the weak acid or base still holds (not sure how well it holds when solutions are so dilute, like less than 0.001 F). Try a forum search. The more general form for the equilibrium constant expression has been discussed. The topic occurs fairly frequently.

Well, in fact, there exists equation for calculation.
if the acid is in very low concentration, the approximation towards the water cannot be neglected.
Hence, the pH of the solution would be -log(sqrt Kw) =7 around 298K

1. What is pH?

pH is a measure of the acidity or basicity of a solution. It is based on the concentration of hydrogen ions present in the solution, and ranges from 0 to 14. A pH of 7 is considered neutral, below 7 is acidic, and above 7 is basic.

2. What is a buffer?

A buffer is a solution that resists changes in pH when small amounts of acid or base are added. It is made up of a weak acid and its conjugate base, or a weak base and its conjugate acid. Buffers are important in maintaining a stable pH in biological systems.

3. How do I calculate the pH of a buffer solution?

The pH of a buffer solution can be calculated using the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation: pH = pKa + log([A-]/[HA]), where pKa is the acid dissociation constant, [A-] is the concentration of the conjugate base, and [HA] is the concentration of the weak acid.

4. How do I prepare a buffer solution?

To prepare a buffer solution, you will need a weak acid and its conjugate base (or a weak base and its conjugate acid) in a specific ratio. The concentration of the buffer components will depend on the desired pH and the volume of the final solution. It is important to use accurate measurements and to mix the components thoroughly.

5. How do I dilute a solution?

To dilute a solution, you will need to add more solvent (usually water) to decrease the concentration of the solute. The amount of solvent to add will depend on the desired final concentration. For example, to make a 1:10 dilution, you would add 9 parts of solvent for every 1 part of solution.