1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

PH of a polyprotic acid using multiple equilibria - is this correct?

1. Jul 9, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the pH of 0.02025 M tartaric acid using the method of multiple equilibria given that its Ka1 value is 9.2*10-4 and its Ka2 value is 4.31*10-5.

2. Relevant equations
    Kaoverall = Ka1 * Ka2

3. The attempt at a solution
    Please check the Word document.

Is my method and calculation correct?

Thank you.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 10, 2014 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

For some reason I can't open the file. .docx is not the best format. Try to post it here using LaTeX, or - at worst - as an image.

4. Jul 10, 2014 #3
    Hm... that's strange.

I'll upload images files then (LaTeX is too much trouble...)

They're in order of page number.

Attached Files:

5. Jul 10, 2014 #4

Borek

Seems like you have completely ignored presence of HT-.

pH of the 0.02025 M tartaric acid is 2.41, as long as your calculations don't reproduce this result they are wrong.

Attached Files:

6. Jul 10, 2014 #5
    The reason I'm asking is because I answered the same question but instead used the step-by-step equilibrium method and I got a different answer.

I can't see where I went wrong though. Both methods should yield the same answer.

They're in order of page number.

Attached Files:

7. Jul 10, 2014 #6
    Hm... but wouldn't it cancel out in the equation?

8. Jul 10, 2014 #7

Borek

No. Just because it cancels out in a partial system of equations doesn't mean it shouldn't be taken into account. Overall equation doesn't say a word about intermediate steps, which doesn't mean they don't exist.

Correct derivation is shown on the page I already linked to.

9. Jul 10, 2014 #8
    Ah. You're right. I see where I went wrong.

It's not working because I'm writing an overall reaction that doesn't exist. And it wouldn't work unless there's a third reaction. Otherwise, as you said, I would miss the intermediate reactions.

Thank you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted