Pharmacology graduate considering Medical Physics advice

In summary, the person speaking has an MS in pharmacology but is now looking for career options outside of the pharma/biotech world due to limited interest in retail or clinical pharmacy positions. They have stumbled upon medical physics and are attracted to the use of unique technologies. However, they have not taken all the required courses for admission and are wondering if they can take them part-time or online while still working. They also mention having only taken algebra-based physics in undergrad and are concerned about the difficulty of upper level physics without calculus knowledge.
JOEstolemycar
Hello everybody. I graduated a few years ago with an MS in pharmacology. However, after two jobs where I did not get positions doing what I wanted to do, I am looking at what options I have for graduate school. For those of you who do not know the drug industry that well, you need to have a Phd/MD or PharmD (pharmacist degree) in order to get a respectable position. Otherwise, you are pretty much considered disposable in the job market. I have an interest in getting a PharmD, but it is limited as I not that strongly attracted to being a retail or clinical pharmacist that much. So to sum things up, I am basically looking for career options that are outside of the pharma/biotech world.

And thus, I stumbled across the world of medical physics, which seems to be a really interesting field utilizing analytical technologies. Since I'm working as a analytical chemist right now, I have to say that I am attracted to the thought of working with unique technologies, and I feel that I have the capability to handle this type of work. But at this time I am still researching the field to really see if it is worth it for me.

I noticed that most programs want the GRE, Calc 1+2+3, Physics 1+2, Chem 1+2, Bio 1+2, Diff EQ, Modern Physics, Electricity and Magnetism, and some other upper level class. I could apply but I have not taken the GREs, which I probably will soon. However, in order to be considered, I need to take Calc 3, diff eq, modern physics, electricity and magnetism, and another upper level physics course. I want to ask those of you on here: is it possible for me to take such classes part time in the evenings, or online? I currently have a job and my preference is to keep it - would I have to leave to take such courses?

Secondly, another thing that I should point out is that I took algebra-based physics 1+2 back in undergrad. Is this going to be a problem with admissions or with handling the upper level physics coursework?

I've laid out my entire situation here - can anybody here provide me with some feedback? I want to know if medical physics is a real possibility for me or not. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
I cannot speak about graduate school and what your options are but I can speak about physics. Taking algebra based physics is not the same as taking calculus based physics. I would find it nearly impossible if not impossible to study upper level physics without calculus. I would say with 99% certainty you will have trouble with upper level physics without knowing introductory physics that is based off of calculus.

Thanks for the input. It seems that I need to spend a good year completing a retake of Calc-physics 1+2 along with the other courses I am missing just to be even considered for medical physics. This will make things pretty interesting.

What is pharmacology?

Pharmacology is the study of drugs and their effects on living organisms. It involves understanding how drugs interact with the body, how they are absorbed and distributed, and how they are metabolized and eliminated.

What is medical physics?

Medical physics is the application of physics principles and techniques to the diagnosis and treatment of diseases. It involves using radiation, imaging, and other technologies to diagnose and treat medical conditions.

How are pharmacology and medical physics related?

Pharmacology and medical physics are related in that both fields involve the study and use of drugs. However, pharmacology focuses on the effects of drugs on the body, while medical physics focuses on the use of technology to diagnose and treat medical conditions.

What are the career opportunities for a pharmacology graduate in medical physics?

A pharmacology graduate considering a career in medical physics can pursue various paths, such as working in a hospital or healthcare facility as a medical physicist or radiation safety officer, conducting research and development, or teaching at a university. They may also have opportunities in medical device or pharmaceutical companies.

What advice would you give to a pharmacology graduate considering a career in medical physics?

My advice would be to gain relevant experience through internships or job shadowing, network with professionals in the field, and consider pursuing a graduate degree in medical physics to gain a deeper understanding of the field. It is also important to stay updated on current developments and advancements in the field through continuing education and attending conferences and workshops.