PhD in Math: How high can I aim for?

• Programs
  • Thread starter clueless...
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Phd
In summary, the speaker is asking for advice on which schools to apply to for a PhD program in math. They have a strong background in math and physics with a 4.00 GPA, and are unsure of how high they can aim for without looking too ridiculous. Another person suggests that they may have an easier time getting into a master's program first before applying to a PhD program. The speaker is advised to choose schools that fit their research interests and location, and to have already chosen schools since deadlines are approaching.
clueless...
Hi,
I am trying to decide what schools to apply to for PhD program in math. I will be getting my B.A. in math and physics in May (double major) from pretty a public university. I have had Real Analysis, Linear & Abstract Algebra, Complex Analysis, College Geometry, Differential Equations, some pretty advanced statistics. I have 4.00 GPA in all my math and physics classes. I have done some minor physics research. I can get recommendation letters from any/all professors I've ever taken classes with. So, the question is how high can I aim for without looking too ridiculous?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think you've taken enough math classes. That will probably be a big hurdle for competitive programs.
Did you take one or two semesters of Real Analysis and Algebra? If you've only had a semester of analysis, a semester of algebra, and no topology, it's going to be hard to be competitive.

I am entirely sure if this is correct, but you may have an easier time getting into a masters program, finishing that and then applying to a phd program.

I honestly don't see you as lacking in the number of classes you have taken...plus you should apply to whatever school fits you as far as research, geography, etc. and consequently no one on this board will be able to do that for you. But if you are applying for fall 09 then you should probably already have chosen your schools since deadlines are closely approaching, if not already passed.

1. How long does it take to complete a PhD in Math?

The length of time it takes to complete a PhD in Math can vary, but on average it takes about 5-6 years. This can also depend on factors such as the specific program, the research topic, and the student's progress and dedication.

2. What is the typical career path for someone with a PhD in Math?

There are many career paths available for those with a PhD in Math. Some common options include working in academia as a professor or researcher, working in government or industry as a mathematician or data analyst, or pursuing a career in finance or consulting.

3. Can I get a PhD in Math without a strong background in mathematics?

To successfully complete a PhD in Math, a strong background in mathematics is typically required. However, some programs may offer remedial courses or resources to help students strengthen their skills. It is important to have a solid foundation in math before pursuing a PhD in this field.

4. What are the benefits of getting a PhD in Math?

Some potential benefits of getting a PhD in Math include gaining advanced knowledge and skills in mathematics, having the opportunity to conduct original research, and increasing job prospects and earning potential in various industries.

5. How high can I aim for with a PhD in Math?

A PhD in Math can open up many opportunities and allow you to aim for high-level positions in academia, research, and industry. It also provides a strong foundation for pursuing further education, such as postdoctoral studies or other advanced degrees.