PhD in nanofabrication after MEng?

• Programs
  • Thread starter bill nye scienceguy!
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Phd
In summary, the speaker is currently completing an MEng in Mechanical Engineering and has a strong interest in nanofabrication. They are wondering if there are post grad research programs available in this field for someone with their background or if they are exclusively open to physicists and electrical/electronic engineers. They suggest reaching out to professors in the Mechanical Department who are researching nano-micro technologies for potential job opportunities.
bill nye scienceguy!
I am currently nearing the end of an MEng in Mechanical Engineering but have developed a strong personal interest in the field of nanofabrication. Are there post grad research programmes available in this field for someone with my background or are they open exclusively to physicists/electrical and electronic engineers?

Physics news on Phys.org
bill nye scienceguy! said:
I am currently nearing the end of an MEng in Mechanical Engineering but have developed a strong personal interest in the field of nanofabrication. Are there post grad research programmes available in this field for someone with my background or are they open exclusively to physicists/electrical and electronic engineers?

I just joined this forum in hope that there is some micro-nano fab discussions going on. I am a post grad, (graduated in Dec 2010) finishing up some nano fab research. Here at CU, nano-micro fab is pretty big in the Mechanical Department. Any professor with budget and confidence in you can hire you on post grad to help with research. Not sure what the official title is. My suggestion is go to the departments staff page, look up which profs are researching nano-micro technologies and ask them for a job in person.

1. What is a PhD in nanofabrication after MEng?

A PhD in nanofabrication after MEng is a highly specialized research degree that focuses on the fabrication and manipulation of materials at the nanoscale level. It builds upon the foundational knowledge gained through a Master of Engineering degree and delves deeper into the field of nanotechnology.

2. What are the career opportunities for someone with a PhD in nanofabrication after MEng?

Graduates with a PhD in nanofabrication after MEng have a wide range of career opportunities, including research and development positions in industries such as electronics, healthcare, and energy. They may also work in academia as professors or researchers.

3. How long does it typically take to complete a PhD in nanofabrication after MEng?

The length of time it takes to complete a PhD in nanofabrication after MEng varies, but it typically takes 4-5 years of full-time study. This may also depend on the individual's research topic, funding, and progress.

4. What skills and knowledge are required for a PhD in nanofabrication after MEng?

A PhD in nanofabrication after MEng requires a strong background in engineering, particularly in areas such as materials science, chemistry, and physics. It also requires excellent problem-solving, analytical, and research skills, as well as the ability to work independently and collaboratively.

5. How can a PhD in nanofabrication after MEng contribute to advancements in technology?

A PhD in nanofabrication after MEng allows researchers to explore and develop new materials and processes at the nanoscale, which can have a significant impact on various industries. This can lead to advancements in technology, such as more efficient and sustainable energy sources, improved medical treatments, and more advanced electronic devices.