Switch after PhD from Nuclear to Medical Physics?

In summary, after completing a PhD in Nuclear Engineering and Engineering Physics, with a background in Applied Physics and Chemistry, the speaker has decided to switch to a career in medical physics. They plan to complete their PhD and possibly a post-doc before pursuing a career as a university professor. They are considering ways to make themselves more appealing for a career in medical physics, including completing a residency and focusing on diagnostics. They are also unsure if they should switch to a medical physics PhD program or continue with their current program and complete a post-PhD CAMPEP program. The speaker is seeking advice and is leaning towards switching to a medical physics PhD program.
nikkilou
I think after completing my PhD I want to make a switch to medical physics. With my background (described below) this shouldn't be too great of a switch. (I wish I had realized this sooner, as in undergrad I was thinking biomedical engineering, but found myself far more interested in the technology than the cells.)

I have recently completed my masters in Nuclear Engineering and have concurrently been working on my PhD in Engineering Physics with a minor in electronic materials (one of those programs where you "get your masters along the way"). I am ~2.5 years in, so roughly half way (yay!). My undergraduate education is applied physics with a minor in chemistry, and while no minor, a number of biology classes. After finishing school, and possibly a post-doc or other position for a few years, I plan (hope) to teach at a university. I've considered a number of interests that I have, but this seems to be the best (it's probably my second choice field, but with one of the better outlooks and more job availability in the midwest where I want to end up).

Having made this decision, I now have 2 thoughts:
  1. How can I make myself more appealing for a career in medical physics? (I am under the impression that to do clinical work you must do a ~2 year residency and from a technology/research end you can go without this. Also, I've focused on diagnostics, which will (hopefully) make me more appealing.)
  2. Should I complete my PhD in my program or switch now? (I like that things are a bit more open with my current degree, meaning I could go a handful of routes given job outlooks when I'm done. I also feel like I've invested a lot of time and hate to pointlessly throw it away if I can help it, unless of course it would add up to even more time by sticking with it.)

Please let me know your thoughts or if you or someone you know has done something similar. I know there's never certainties in life, but if I could have some confidence in this working out I think graduate school would be a little less stressful.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Nikkilou,

The name of the game in medical physics these days is certification. If you seriously want to work in the field that should be what you're aiming for - either through the ABR (US) or CCPM (Canada) - I'm not sure about the governing bodies elsewhere. In order to get there you need to go through a residency for at least 2 years.

There are lots of little details in getting there too. For example the ABR by 2014 will require that you go through both a CAMPEP accredited gradaute program and a CAMPEP accredited residency.

If you're aiming for medical physics here's how things look:
1. Get into an accredited med phys PhD program. This avenue has the highest probability for getting into the field right now, but also requires the biggest shift for you.

2. Finish your current program and do a 1 year post-PhD CAMPEP program. There are a couple programs of this nature that allow you to complete the necessary course work and have that CAMPEP designation that will qualify you for the certification exams. The disadvantage is that these programs don't support you in any way that I'm aware of.

3. Finish your current program and try to get a position as a junior physicist that doesn't require certification. There are still medical physics positions that don't 'require' certification, but these are highly competative (and all medical physics positions are competative these days), and often the employers will end up going with certified candidates (or those on track to be certified) over those who aren't. It would also be difficult to move into another position once you got one.

If I were in your shoes, I would seriously look at transferring into a medical physics PhD program. Depending on the program and your project, there may be a small possibility of continuing on with your current project so that all your time in so far won't be lost. Also, if you've already passed your qualifying exam, that could potentially be waived for the PhD program as well (I wouldn't count on this, but it's worth looking into).

1. Can I switch from a PhD in Nuclear Physics to a career in Medical Physics?

Yes, it is possible to switch from a PhD in Nuclear Physics to a career in Medical Physics. Many skills and knowledge gained through studying Nuclear Physics are transferable to the field of Medical Physics, such as radiation safety, data analysis, and problem-solving skills.

2. Will I need additional training or education to make the switch?

It depends on the specific requirements of the job and the regulations of the country or state you wish to work in. In some cases, additional training or certification may be necessary, but in many cases, your PhD in Nuclear Physics will provide a strong foundation for a career in Medical Physics.

3. What are the main differences between Nuclear Physics and Medical Physics?

Nuclear Physics is a branch of physics that studies the nucleus of atoms and the interactions of particles within it. Medical Physics, on the other hand, applies physics principles and techniques to the diagnosis and treatment of diseases. While both fields involve the use of radiation, Medical Physics focuses on its application in medicine.

4. What job opportunities are available in Medical Physics for someone with a PhD in Nuclear Physics?

Some common job opportunities in Medical Physics for individuals with a PhD in Nuclear Physics include radiation therapy physicist, medical imaging physicist, and medical physics researcher. These roles involve using radiation and other physics principles to develop and implement medical procedures and equipment for diagnosis and treatment.

5. How can I make the transition from Nuclear Physics to Medical Physics?

To make the switch, it is important to start by gaining a solid understanding of the fundamentals of Medical Physics. You can do this by taking relevant courses, attending conferences and workshops, and networking with professionals in the field. It may also be helpful to gain experience through internships or research projects in Medical Physics. Additionally, obtaining certifications in Medical Physics can demonstrate your knowledge and skills to potential employers.