1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Programs PhD in Theoretical Cosmology at damtp cambridge.

1. Mar 15, 2012 #1

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

Besides having the best academic record and publications, what else can one do to improve his chances to be accepted to this prestige club?

Just a dream... :-(

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 15, 2012 #2
    If I'm not mistaken, the DAMTP requires one to have completed Part III of the Mathematical Tripos for application to their PhD programs. Perhaps one might want to look into that first? :-)

4. Mar 15, 2012 #3

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

That's the last thing I need to do, taking more courses than what I have taken already.

5. Mar 15, 2012 #4
    http://www.maths.cam.ac.uk/postgrad/phd/

No harm in applying without having done Part III but if their website is anything to go by, then one shouldn't keep their hopes up.

Good luck. Let me know how it works out. :-)

6. Mar 17, 2012 #5
    What's so great about Cambridge? Why do you think it would be better than a hundred other places to do a PhD in theoretical cosmology? OK it has history, but Athens has more... :)

7. Mar 17, 2012 #6

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

You are right, it's just a childish thought. In the end what matters is your own work and not the place you attend at.

8. Mar 17, 2012 #7
    No, what matters (at least as far as jobs in-the-field go) is how much attention people pay to your work- to that end, who your advisor is is very important. This, in turn, is dependent on what grad school you go to.

9. Mar 18, 2012 #8

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

Do people even remember who was Einstein's PhD advisor?

The point is, even if you have the best advisor, you should still do your best by your own.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook