• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Programs PhD in Theoretical Cosmology at damtp cambridge.

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member
Besides having the best academic record and publications, what else can one do to improve his chances to be accepted to this prestige club?

Just a dream... :-(

If I'm not mistaken, the DAMTP requires one to have completed Part III of the Mathematical Tripos for application to their PhD programs. Perhaps one might want to look into that first? :-)

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member
That's the last thing I need to do, taking more courses than what I have taken already.

http://www.maths.cam.ac.uk/postgrad/phd/

No harm in applying without having done Part III but if their website is anything to go by, then one shouldn't keep their hopes up.

Good luck. Let me know how it works out. :-)

What's so great about Cambridge? Why do you think it would be better than a hundred other places to do a PhD in theoretical cosmology? OK it has history, but Athens has more... :)

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member
You are right, it's just a childish thought. In the end what matters is your own work and not the place you attend at.

You are right, it's just a childish thought. In the end what matters is your own work and not the place you attend at.
No, what matters (at least as far as jobs in-the-field go) is how much attention people pay to your work- to that end, who your advisor is is very important. This, in turn, is dependent on what grad school you go to.

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member
Do people even remember who was Einstein's PhD advisor?

The point is, even if you have the best advisor, you should still do your best by your own.