[PhD Qualifier] Hockey puck friction

• Thread starter confuted
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Friction
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a circular ice rink and a puck being propelled along its rail. The initial tangential velocity and frictional force are given, and the goal is to calculate the speed and total distance traveled by the puck. The solution provided in the conversation is correct, with the result showing that the puck will indeed travel infinitely far due to Newton's first law.
confuted
This one seems like it should be easy, not sure where the trouble is.

Homework Statement

A circular ice rink lies in a horizontal plane. A puck of mass M is propelled from point A along the rail of the ice rink so that the puck moves in a circular path. The magnitude of the initial tangential velocity is [tex]v_0[/tex]. The rail exerts a frictional force [tex]\mu F_c[/tex] on the puck causing the velocity [tex]v(t)[/tex] to decrease with time, [tex]t[/tex]. The magnitude of the centripeal force is [tex]F_c[/tex] and [tex]\mu[/tex] is the coefficient of friction between the puck and the rail. The radius of the ice rink is [tex]R[/tex]. Assume there is no friction between the puck and the ice.

a) Calculate the speed [tex]v(t)[/tex] of the puck.
b) Calculate the total distance the puck will travel from t=0 to [tex]t=\infty[/tex], i.e. [tex]s=\int_0^\infty v(t)dt[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]a_c=\frac{v(t)^2}{R}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]F_f=\mu F_c=\mu M a_c = \frac{\mu M v^2}{R}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{dv}{dt}=-a_f=-\frac{F_f}{M}=-\frac{\mu v^2}{R}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{dv}{v^2}=-\frac{\mu dt}{R}[/tex]
[tex]\int_{v0}^{v}\frac{dv}{v^2}=-\int_0^t\frac{\mu dt}{R}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{1}v-\frac{1}{v_0}=\frac{\mu t}{R}[/tex]
[tex]v=\frac{R v_0}{R+\mu v_0 t}[/tex]

Now this result must be incorrect, because
[tex]s=\int_0^{\infty}{\frac{R v_0}{R+\mu v_0 t}dt}=\frac{R}{\mu}\ln(R+\mu v_0 t)=\infty[/tex] ... nonsense

Where did I go wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
confuted said:
Now this result must be incorrect, because
[tex]s=\int_0^{\infty}{\frac{R v_0}{R+\mu v_0 t}dt}=\frac{R}{\mu}\ln(R+\mu v_0 t)=\infty[/tex] ... nonsense

Where did I go wrong?

Hi confuted! :smile:

Looks ok to me …

if the speed goes down by 10, the deceleration goes down by 100 …

why shouldn't it travel infinitely far? :smile:

It just seems nonphysical -- are you sure I haven't made some mistake?

confuted said:
It just seems nonphysical -- are you sure I haven't made some mistake?

"nonphysical"? …

what about good ol' Newton's first law … isn't that physical??! :smile:

Physical things do carry on for ever unless there's some good reason not to! :biggrin:

1. What is the coefficient of friction for a hockey puck on ice?

The coefficient of friction for a hockey puck on ice varies depending on factors such as the temperature and condition of the ice, but it is generally between 0.02 and 0.04.

2. How does the weight of a hockey puck affect its friction on ice?

The weight of a hockey puck has a minimal effect on its friction on ice. The friction force is primarily dependent on the coefficient of friction and the normal force.

3. How does the temperature of the ice affect the friction of a hockey puck?

The temperature of the ice has a significant impact on the friction of a hockey puck. As the temperature decreases, the ice becomes harder and smoother, resulting in less friction for the puck.

4. Is there a difference in friction between a rubber and plastic hockey puck on ice?

Yes, there is a difference in friction between a rubber and plastic hockey puck on ice. Rubber pucks have a higher coefficient of friction and will therefore experience more resistance on the ice than plastic pucks.

5. Why is friction important in hockey?

Friction is important in hockey because it allows players to control the puck and make precise movements on the ice. It also plays a role in determining the speed and trajectory of the puck during shots and passes. Understanding the friction of a hockey puck can also help players make strategic decisions during a game.