PhD supervisor: more than one supervisor (UK)

• Thread starter gboff21
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Phd Uk
In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of having multiple supervisors for PhD projects, with one participant expressing surprise at this practice. Another participant explains that there are different types of supervisors, with varying levels of involvement in the project. The number and type of supervisors can vary and there is no set norm for this.
gboff21
Hi,
I'm just applying to PhDs at the moment and some projects have two or even three supervisors!
What do you guys think about this? I thought it was normal to have only one!

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't have UK-specific experience, but first you have to see if those additional supervisors are just official supervisors (=they discuss your progress once or twice a year and read your final thesis), supervisors for different parts of the thesis (=you work a while with SV1 and a while with SV2), actual supervisors you'll talk to frequently the whole time. The last two categories can be inofficial supervisors as well. And those "supervisor types" can be mixed in arbitrary ways.

1. What are the benefits of having more than one PhD supervisor in the UK?

Having more than one PhD supervisor can provide a diverse range of expertise and perspectives to support your research. Additionally, it can help to distribute the workload and provide a support system for any challenges that may arise during your PhD journey.

2. How do I choose more than one PhD supervisor in the UK?

The process of choosing a PhD supervisor(s) can vary depending on your field of study and university. However, some factors to consider include their research interests and expertise, their availability, and how well you connect with them personally.

3. Can I have a different primary supervisor and secondary supervisor(s) in the UK?

Yes, it is possible to have a primary supervisor and secondary supervisor(s) in the UK. Your primary supervisor is typically the main point of contact and responsible for overseeing your research, while your secondary supervisor(s) can provide additional support and guidance.

4. Is it common to have more than one PhD supervisor in the UK?

Yes, having more than one PhD supervisor is quite common in the UK. Many universities and research programs encourage collaboration and the sharing of expertise by offering the option for students to have multiple supervisors.

5. What should I do if I am having conflicts with my PhD supervisor(s) in the UK?

If you are experiencing conflicts with your PhD supervisor(s), it is important to address them as soon as possible. Some steps you can take include discussing your concerns with your supervisor(s), seeking advice from other faculty members or your university's graduate student support services, and considering the option of switching to a different supervisor(s) if necessary.