PhD viva - Length of starting presentation

In summary: Scholars in the US have a 2-year process in which they write a thesis, do a defense of that thesis (a public presentation of their research), and then after that, they are "PhD ready".It doesn't work that way. Different universities will have different rules/conventions, and the external examiner will be told what these are beforehand. Hence, he/she will (or at least should) judge your presentation based on the local rules.Just to highlight the differences between countries, I am in the US and had never heard the term "PhD viva" before your post.
rwooduk
I have my PhD viva in about a months time, part of it is to give an introductory presentation. Since I'm sure some members here examine PhD students in their viva, I would like to ask what they would consider a good lenth of time for the presentation? I don't want to annoy the examiner by having a lengthy presentation when they would like to ask questions about the thesis. But also I don't want it to appear that I have missed key details / arguments / conclusions. Would you prefer a brief presentation of the work followed by an in depth discussion of the thesis, or an in depth presentation followed by in depth thesis discussion? Would you have any time preferences?

Thanks for any advice.

Physics news on Phys.org
This question simply cannot be answered on a general basis because it strongly depends on your country and on your institution. Your best source of information regarding this should be your PhD supervisor.

Likes rwooduk
Orodruin said:
This question simply cannot be answered on a general basis because it strongly depends on your country and on your institution. Your best source of information regarding this should be your PhD supervisor.

I was really just after some personal experiences from examiners where the presentation was lacking / they became frustrated. But I certainly understand your point and my supervisor will certainly be my main point of contact. Thanks for your reply.

I agree that a survey of random experiences would not be useful. Your advisor should provide guidance on the expectations of your committee, including pet issues likely to be raised by specific committee members (you want to be forewarned and forearmed).

Likes rwooduk
rwooduk said:
I was really just after some personal experiences from examiners where the presentation was lacking / they became frustrated. But I certainly understand your point and my supervisor will certainly be my main point of contact. Thanks for your reply.

It doesn't work that way. Different universities will have different rules/conventions, and the external examiner will be told what these are beforehand. Hence, he/she will (or at least should) judge your presentation based on the local rules.

Just to highlight the differences between countries, I am in the US and had never heard the term "PhD viva" before your post. I had always heard it referred to as a "thesis defense".

1. What is the typical length of a starting presentation for a PhD viva?

The typical length of a starting presentation for a PhD viva is around 20-30 minutes. This may vary slightly depending on the specific guidelines of your institution or department.

2. Is there a minimum or maximum length for the starting presentation?

While there is no set minimum or maximum length for the starting presentation, it is important to adhere to the time limit set by your institution or department. Going significantly over or under the recommended time may reflect negatively on your preparation and ability to effectively communicate your research.

3. How much time should be spent on each section of the starting presentation?

It is generally recommended to spend around 5-7 minutes on each section of your starting presentation. This will vary depending on the complexity and significance of each section, but it is important to allocate enough time to properly explain and support your research.

4. Should the starting presentation include all aspects of the research or just a summary?

The starting presentation should provide a comprehensive overview of your research, including the background, methodology, results, and conclusions. However, it is not necessary to go into excessive detail or include every single aspect of your research. Instead, focus on highlighting the key points and demonstrating your understanding and contribution to the field.

5. Can visual aids be used in the starting presentation?

Yes, visual aids such as slides or posters can be used in the starting presentation to help illustrate and support your research. However, it is important to use them sparingly and effectively, as too many visual aids can be distracting and take away from your verbal presentation.