Photo contest Nov 26-Dec 2: snow and ice

  • Thread starter Thread starter Evo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    photo contest
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
34 replies · 6K views
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Messages
24,114
Reaction score
3,277
Snow & Ice[/color][/size]


Our theme this week will be snow and/or ice.

Contest Rules:

1. Any digital photo or digitally-scanned photo relevant to the theme will be accepted within the contest period. In case there's a gray area, or you're not sure if the picture is suitable, check with me first.

2. Please resize your digital photo to no more than 650 x 490 or 490 x 650 pixels. You may also crop your picture if you wish. You are also allowed to adjust the brightness and contrast of your picture but these should not dramatically alter the look of the picture. But other than those, any form of picture editing or modification is not allowed. This is a photo contest, not a picture editing/special effect contest. You may add a watermark or your name/nickname to the photo for identification purposes.

3. Upload your photos to any of the photo servers such as imageshack or photobucket. Then post it the relevant contest thread and link your picture using the img command. PM me if you do not know how.

4. Only ONE picture per member per contest. Once a picture is posted, it cannot be changed other than a total withdrawl by that member from that week's photo contest. Exceptions will be made for modification to comply with the rules, such as resizing.

5. At the end of the contest period, I will open a poll and every PF member can vote for the picture they like best.

6. Note that in case we have a large number of entries, I will do the polling in more than one thread. If that's the case, you can vote in each of the polling threads. The photos will be assigned in the polling threads in the order they were submitted.

7. These pictures must be something that you took, not something taken off someone else's photo albums or taken by someone else. I have no way of checking if you did this, so we'll go by the honor system.

8. You can use a picture only once. Once it is used in a contest, it cannot be reused in another contest.

9. Please post only pictures meant for submission in this thread
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Also, since this is a new contest. I will allow submissions from previous contests that did not win. So go back through all of those great pictures and submit!
 
Last edited:
February '09. I had to do a lot of work to keep the snow and ice away from my walls, and so I could get to my bird-feeders. The birds didn't seem too put-out by having to fly though this tunnel to get seeds. Summers are pretty nice here. Winters... not so much.

Februarytunnel.jpg
 
Borek said:
Strange, I was already thinking what holiday pictures I have.
I saw the caption of post #2, too. Maybe the newest mentor can fix that for the ... no, I won't go there. :devil:
 
turbo-1 said:
I saw the caption of post #2, too. Maybe the newest mentor can fix that for the ... no, I won't go there. :devil:
All I see is Snow & ICE. :devil:

I decided to hold off on the holiday theme since Zz might want to do that when he returns.
 
I took this picture a year or two back. Its a shot of my friend practicing thai chi before we went out on the ice to shoot around some pucks.
Cheers.
100_521825-1.jpg
 
This is a tough one to get decent shots of. I'll have to look.

Very spiffy (I was going to say "cool" but the pun was far more than I could tolerate) image, redpenguin.
 
I happened to bump into these twigs on this morning hike.

35901f9.jpg


Macro with the Panasonic TZ7
 
Thread got a late start, but some awesome entries!
 
Andre said:
I happened to bump into these twigs on this morning hike.

35901f9.jpg


Macro with the Panasonic TZ7
Ice-butterflies!
 
Andre said:
I happened to bump into these twigs on this morning hike.

35901f9.jpg


Macro with the Panasonic TZ7

Nice picture, Andre! I also want to buy a macro lens and start taking picture like this, can you share your experience in choosing a macro lens, like what I should look for? Thanks.
 
chingkui said:
Nice picture, Andre! I also want to buy a macro lens and start taking picture like this, can you share your experience in choosing a macro lens, like what I should look for? Thanks.

That picture was taken with a simple point and shoot camera, but in the macro mode. If you have a DSLR, most brands will have dedicated macro lenses (primes) with focusses around 50 - 80 - 100 -150 -180mm. My choice was the Canon EF 100mm USM Macro. The quick focussing with USM is very important when juggling with bugs. Image stabilisation is present on more expensive models but seem not that effective in the macro range; not so usefull. Also, magnifying small things also means magnifying small movements, so either you need a lot of light (flash) or a tripod, to get things real crisp.
 
It was around zero tonight (YOUR zero, turkeyeaters), and we have a feet of snow, plus other feet predicted for the next 24 hours. We have ice and snow, but I have no pictures...
 
Marzena said:
marzena_snow_and_ice1.jpg

Wow! Beautiful shot! Are they bison or buffalo?

Edit: Nevermind. Buffalo don't live in harsh weather climates; I'm guessing they're (European) bison.
 
turbo-1 said:
You have a giant space-heater - the Cuyahoga River. Just light it and let it hold off the winter. :biggrin:

Yawn- that joke got stale 20 years ago... :)

Now, the Heat is in town tomorrow- *that* has got everyone's blood boiling.