Photo Contest - Gone But Not Forgotten (6/14-6/21)

In summary, the contest is for pictures of objects, persons, structures, natural wonders, etc. that were once present, but no longer are. Pictures must be digital photos or scanned photos, and must be roughly 650 x 490 pixels. Only one picture per member is allowed. The voting process will be done in more than one thread, and the winners will be announced at the end of the contest.
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Gone, but not forgotten!

Our theme this time involves objects, persons, structures, natural wonders, etc. that were once present, but not anymore. Obviously, in many cases, there's no way for me (or anyone) to check if everything that people submit no longer exists, so we will simply trust that everyone will follow the spirit of the theme.

Contest Rules:

1. Any digital photo or digitally-scanned photo relevant to the theme will be accepted within the contest period. In case there's a grey area, or you're not sure if the picture is suitable, check with me first.

2. Please resize your digital photo to no more than 650 x 490 pixels. You may also crop your picture if you wish. But other than that, any form of picture editing or modification is not allowed. This is a photo contest, not a picture editing/special effect contest. You may add a watermark or your name/nickname to the photo for identification purposes.

3. Upload your photos to any of the photo servers such as imageshack. Then post it the relevant contest thread and link your picture using the img command. PM me if you do not know how.

4. Only ONE picture per member per contest.

5. At the end of the contest period, I will open a poll and every PF member can vote for the picture they like best.

6. Note that in case we have a large number of entries, I will do the polling in more than one thread. If that's the case, you can vote in each of the polling threads. The photos will be assigned in the the polling threads in the order they were submitted.

7. These pictures must be something that you took, not something taken off someone else's photo albums or taken by someone else. I have no way of checking if you did this, so we'll go by the honor system.

8. You can use a picture only once. Once it is used in a contest, it cannot be reused in another contest.

9. Please post only pictures meant for submission in this thread.

Zz.

Physics news on Phys.org
This is going to he a hard one.

It looks like I'll have to post a CT of my brain.

If an object or a person doesn't exist anymore, how can anyone make a picture of it? Well, unless a monument...

Last edited:
Don't all new digital cameras have time-warp functions? :confused:

Ivan Seeking said:
It looks like I'll have to post a CT of my brain.
:smile: :smile:

This is my entry.

http://personalpages.manchester.ac.uk/student/E.Smith-2/ent1.jpg

The rest of the power station was demolished a number of years ago. The remaining two towers are considered dangerous, and are scheduled for demolition before this year is out. They were going to be blown up with the rest of the power station, but the viaduct you see carries the M1, and at the time of the power station demolition it was considered safer not to risk the safety of the motorway, and to leave the towers standing. The last time the towers were considered for demolition, they were saved only because a rare species of bird had been found to be nesting inside one of the towers.

They're a local landmark now, and the announcement of their imminent demolition has caused a vast amount of controversy. One group of local artists has attempted to save the towers by turning them into massive works of art; I believe a teapot and mug was suggested by one group.

I'm devastated that the towers have to go, they're an iconic milestone marking the gateway to my hometown, and an industrial icon representing my city's past.

More info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tinsley_Viaduct

Last edited by a moderator:
brewnog said:
One group of local artists has attempted to save the towers by turning them into massive works of art; I believe a teapot and mug was suggested by one group.
The could just put a huge tombstone behind them that says "Here Lies Dolly Parton" :-p

:rolleyes: That's going to be tough to go out and get a new photo for. :rolleyes: I don't think my trash would make a very attractive photo, and that's about the only thing that will soon be gone. :frown:

CNV00024.jpg

I'm pretty sure these will have melted by now. I thought they were beautiful.

To go along with what matt posted, are things like plants allowed assuming the plants have since died? What about insects? Those have a pretty short lifespan. This category is too broad and too narrow at the same time!

Last edited:
Bloody hell mathh, I thought I'd got a chance on this one! Guess being a Yorkshireman and being a photographer are two traits which go hand-in-hand.

I'll submit this, a picture that accidently came out very pretty:

setcrop.jpg

None of the clouds or waves are still in existence, as such.

zoobyshoe said:

Ohh whaaaat! Stretching credibility a little bit there eh zoob! Gorgeous picture though, what's the flag?

zoobyshoe said:
I'll submit this, a picture that accidently came out very pretty:

Somehow, I knew something like this might happen.

I think the spirit of the theme is rather clear, so unfortunately, both your picture and matthyaouw do not qualify. Something that shifts and changes naturally does not qualify. You are welcome to submit another picture.

This contest forces people to go back into their archives, and if they've been lucky enough to snap a lot of pictures (digital or analog) before, then maybe there's a chance that they have something that is no longer there (no one has a picture of the World Trade Center?).

So this may not be an easy one, especially if you only snap a picture based on the contest theme.

Zz.

Last edited:
brewnog said:
Ohh whaaaat! Stretching credibility a little bit there eh zoob! Gorgeous picture though, what's the flag?
Stretching the rules, yes, but the pic is genuine and should be believed.

The flag is something lifeguards put there. It's meaning is a mystery to me.

ZapperZ said:
Something that shifts and changes naturally does not qualify.
Yeah, I didn't think it would pass muster. Tried just in case. It's the only contest-worthy picture I've ever happened to take.

zoobyshoe said:
Yeah, I didn't think it would pass muster. Tried just in case. It's the only contest-worthy picture I've ever happened to take.

You should save it. I can say without a doubt that there will be a theme coming up in which that picture would fit in perfectly.

Zz.

I thought that might have been pushing it a bit... I'll have a trawl through my old photos and see if I can find anything more relevant.

Those are great photos by the way, Brew & Zoob.

Maybe this one.

neist.jpg

Neist point on Skye. The shore was covered with hundreds of these little stone sculptures. I visited again the next year and not one remained.

Gosh, now you've got me digging through ancient photos. I've found a few that I'm trying to decide between. None are artistic -- some of them I took with my first camera that I got when I was about 10! But, the things that are no longer around vary from nostalgic to humorous. It might come down to what photo feeds through the scanner without jamming and without losing too much quality.

Anyone have a preference between nautical and interior decorating? :smile: That'll help me narrow it down somewhat. Hmm...gotta go for a bit, but maybe when I get back I'll start up a thread for all the photos that the contests make people think of and they want to share, but aren't contest-worthy (i.e., if you have two or three that fit a theme, but only submit your best for the contest, you can still share the others for fun in another thread, or maybe ones that someone else took, but you still think are worth sharing...I have one that I think I have to share, but I didn't take it...you can tell because I'm IN it...at age 10).

http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/6821/gates9vv.jpg

The Gates, in Central Park Feb 12 - 27 2005.

I hope a collage is legal

http://home.comcast.net/~Integral50/scenery/WCTs.JPG

The towers are gone, the skyline is gone, the view from the towers is gone...:mad:

Now the collage is gone :-p

Integral said:
I hope a collage is legal

Actually, it isn't, because technically you are submitting more than one picture.

Drat! I thought your pictures were terrific too! :( Crop it, integral!

Zz.

Okay, I'm pretty sure I won't be able to win this one on composition or photography skills, so I'm going for the sympathy vote when you see the horror of my childhood bedroom! Nothing in the picture exists anymore, other than the actual house itself (but it's been sold to a new owner for many years). The dog, Candy, has long ago passed away :frown:, that awful green carpet was finally pulled up by me :smile:, as was the paint removed :approve:, and the closet doors replaced :biggrin:. The chair followed me for quite a few years, but finally hit the curb too :rolleyes:. The clothes on the chair are long gone (:redface: Yeah, wasn't exactly the neatest kid in town.) The bit of hallway shown still had that hideous color when we sold the house, but it's probably a safe bet that any self-respecting new home owner saw fit to replace that carpet and wallpaper soon after buying. It definitely qualifies as "not forgotten" as well...who could forget that?! :bugeye: I've tried to claw those memories out of my brain, but to no avail.

And, if you thought that's a hideous example of interior decorating, I'm going to have to post a photo somewhere of the STRIPES I had to live with. Oh, I know, since that photo includes a picture of me (just a tiny bit younger than I am now :rolleyes:), I'll have to put it in the member photo thread.

So, after all that set-up, without much further ado, here's my entry! Ta da! :smile:

http://img162.imageshack.us/img162/8481/aaack8vw.jpg

Moonbear said:
Okay, I'm pretty sure I won't be able to win this one on composition or photography skills, so I'm going for the sympathy vote when you see the horror of my childhood bedroom! Nothing in the picture exists anymore, other than the actual house itself (but it's been sold to a new owner for many years). The dog, Candy, has long ago passed away :frown:, that awful green carpet was finally pulled up by me :smile:, as was the paint removed :approve:, and the closet doors replaced :biggrin:. The chair followed me for quite a few years, but finally hit the curb too :rolleyes:. The clothes on the chair are long gone (:redface: Yeah, wasn't exactly the neatest kid in town.) The bit of hallway shown still had that hideous color when we sold the house, but it's probably a safe bet that any self-respecting new home owner saw fit to replace that carpet and wallpaper soon after buying. It definitely qualifies as "not forgotten" as well...who could forget that?! :bugeye: I've tried to claw those memories out of my brain, but to no avail.

And, if you thought that's a hideous example of interior decorating, I'm going to have to post a photo somewhere of the STRIPES I had to live with. Oh, I know, since that photo includes a picture of me (just a tiny bit younger than I am now :rolleyes:), I'll have to put it in the member photo thread.

So, after all that set-up, without much further ado, here's my entry! Ta da! :smile:

http://img162.imageshack.us/img162/8481/aaack8vw.jpg
:cry:[/URL] You have my vote.

Evo said:
:cry: You have my vote.
Aww...thanks! I owe it all to my mom...really...she never did lose her knack for hideous decorating. :rolleyes: (I don't think I have a photo that shows off the curtains in that room...they had pretty much every color of the rainbow in them.) My friends were usually stunned speechless upon entering our house, and only after we were out of earshot of my mom and I told them it was okay if they made fun of it did they finally relax and laugh with me. :smile: Our entryway and living room could only be described as aluminum foil and straw. I just posted a photo in the member photo thread that shows the earliest wallpaper I remember in our kitchen, which was eventually replaced...table and countertops covered in red Formica, red carpet on the side by the table, and black tile near the prep area, dark wood cabinets (nearly black, but not quite), and dark blue wallpaper, with the ceiling and trim painted in a matching blue color. The visual effect is indescribable.

Being the rebellious child I was, when I redecorated my bedroom in my teens, I made it ALL beige. :smile:

My last experiment.

http://img159.imageshack.us/img159/8617/fire0br.jpg

I know this isn't the greatest picture, but it's all I have as all the old pics i had are at my parents house.

PicsofHome029.jpg

Scorpa, them's the makings of one really fine street rod. Don't let it get away!

Ivan Seeking said:
My last experiment.

Is this a pic of smoke, or clouds? :)

Unfortunately, as I've mentioned earlier, things that naturally change do not qualify for the theme.

Zz.

It was a fire.

Scorpa, that's fantastic! Keepy keepy keepy, me and Danger have big plans for that heap of junk!

Ivan Seeking said:
It was a fire.

Then you should find another one.

:)

Zz.

"Tent city" of over 1200 tents in the Harvey West Park, Santa Cruz, CA, June 4th, 2006. This was the first campsite of AIDS/LifeCycle 5.

The following morning, all the tents were taken down and shipped to the next campsite. This was repeated on each of the seven nights along the 550-mile route.

http://www.virtualcivilization.org/alc5/images/IMG_0161_resized.jpg

- Warren