Photon densities within galtactic disc compared to CMB

In summary, the conversation is about comparing the average photon densities in galactic environments due to non CMB sources to those in extra galactic environments. The person is interested in the implications on cosmic ray phenomenology and asks about the rates of photo-pion production in the galactic disc. They have not found much information on this topic and are hoping for some insights from others.
UHECRon
I am interested in what the average photon densities are within galactic environments due to non CMB sources. In extra galactic environments, the CMB certainly dominates, however as you enter more dense and luminous areas (e.g. , the galactic disc) broad spectrum photon densities from local sources must climb. My question is how does this compare on average to CMB?

I ask as the answer may have implications on cosmic ray phenomenology.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
UHECRon said:
I ask as the answer may have implications on cosmic ray phenomenology.

In what way?

I was wondering about the rates of photo-pion production in the galactic disc as opposed to those more traditionally calculated in extra galactic spaces. The thought being that a significant enhancement of attenuation of Ultra high energy cosmic rays in the regime could help to explain some discrepancies observed in both flux and composition at these extreme energies in the northern and southern hemispheres.

A lazy literature search hasn't turned up much on broad spectrum photon intensities in galactic environments so I was hoping someone would point me in a helpful direction.

I see. Well, I doubt I can help you at all. Best of luck on your search!

Thanks! Hope I find something. If I do, I will report it here.

If anyone reads this and has any insights, I would be most thankful for some information.

1. What is a photon density within a galactic disc?

Photon density refers to the number of photons (particles of light) present within a specific area or volume. In the context of a galactic disc, it refers to the amount of light particles present within the disc of a galaxy.

2. How does the photon density within a galactic disc compare to the CMB?

The photon density within a galactic disc is typically much higher than the Cosmic Microwave Background (CMB), which is the residual radiation from the Big Bang that permeates the universe. This is because the CMB has been expanding and cooling for billions of years, while the photon density within a galactic disc is more concentrated and has not undergone the same amount of expansion and cooling.

3. What factors affect the photon density within a galactic disc?

The photon density within a galactic disc can be affected by various factors, such as the size and mass of the galaxy, the presence of stars and other celestial bodies, and the amount of interstellar gas and dust present.

4. How is the photon density within a galactic disc measured?

Scientists can measure the photon density within a galactic disc using telescopes and instruments that detect and analyze light. By studying the amount and distribution of light within a galaxy, they can estimate the photon density within its disc.

5. Why is the study of photon densities within galactic discs important?

Understanding the photon densities within galactic discs can provide valuable insights into the structure and evolution of galaxies. It can also help us better understand the distribution of matter and energy in the universe, and how they interact with each other.