Average photon energy from a galaxy cluster

In summary, the problem is to calculate or estimate the average photon energy from a galaxy cluster incident on the mirror of a X ray telescope (specifically Chandra). The cluster has a redshift of z and a constant uniform temperature of T. The relevant equations for the specific intensity of thermal bremsstrahlung and the relationship between redshift and emitted/observed frequency are provided. There are two approaches discussed, one using an integral and the other using an approximation. The temperature and sensitivity range of Chandra are important factors to consider for both approaches. It is noted that the radiation from galaxies is dominated by visible light rather than x-rays, so a single temperature may not accurately describe the system.
throneoo

Homework Statement

I want to calculate/estimate the average photon energy from a galaxy cluster incident on the mirror of a X ray telescope (Chandra to be specific) . The cluster has redshift z and at constant uniform temperature T

Homework Equations

Specific Intensity of thermal bremsstrahlung : I∝Λ(ν)*T-1/2*exp(-hν/kT)
z=(νemittedobserved)/νobserved

The Attempt at a Solution

At high temperatures the X ray emission is dominated by thermal bremsstrahlung.
The average photon energy should be found via the integral ( ∫ I dν ) / ( ∫ [I/hν] dν ) from ν=0 to infinity, then that energy should be divided by (1+z) due to the redshift, but since the full expression is not given in the problem, it's not really a viable approach.

Therefore I'm left with the approximation approach. I think <E>=hv≈kT should be good enough since in the x-ray region, photons' momentum and energy is comparable to that of electrons, and that it seem to be the value at which I is equal to its average value (referring to the curve below).

The classical spectrum (valid for moderate temperature): https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe...ower2.svg/731px-Bremsstrahlung_power2.svg.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Galaxies radiate a lot more visible light than x-rays, and those two cannot be described by a single temperature. I don't think starting the integration at 0 will lead to a useful result.

You'll need a temperature value if you want to follow the approach of thermal emission. And probably the sensitivity range of Chandra, unless you really care about all the low-energetic photons.

Okay so I can effectively put the sensitivity range of chandra in my integration, then I~exp(-x) with the range. However exp(x)/x is still a nasty integral so I'll have to look up values of exponential integral.

And by thermal emission do you mean black-body emission?

If it is not black-body-like, you need to know more about the radiation.

I think that would be the braking radiation as given in OP

What is the average photon energy from a galaxy cluster?

The average photon energy from a galaxy cluster depends on various factors, such as the types of stars and galaxies within the cluster and their temperatures. It can range from ultraviolet wavelengths to infrared wavelengths, with the majority of the energy falling within the visible light spectrum.

How is the average photon energy from a galaxy cluster measured?

The average photon energy from a galaxy cluster is typically measured by using telescopes and instruments that can detect and analyze the different wavelengths of light emitted from the cluster. This data is then used to create a spectrum that shows the distribution of photon energies within the cluster.

What is the significance of knowing the average photon energy from a galaxy cluster?

Knowing the average photon energy from a galaxy cluster can provide valuable information about the types of stars and galaxies within the cluster, as well as their temperatures and other properties. It can also help scientists better understand the formation and evolution of galaxy clusters.

Can the average photon energy from a galaxy cluster change over time?

Yes, the average photon energy from a galaxy cluster can change over time. This is because the stars and galaxies within the cluster are constantly evolving and emitting different types of light. Additionally, events such as mergers and interactions between galaxies can also affect the average photon energy.

How does the average photon energy from a galaxy cluster compare to that of other astronomical objects?

The average photon energy from a galaxy cluster is generally lower than that of other astronomical objects, such as individual stars or quasars. This is because galaxy clusters are made up of a variety of different types of stars and galaxies, which emit a range of energies, rather than just one dominant source of light.