1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Average photon energy from a galaxy cluster

1. Mar 12, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I want to calculate/estimate the average photon energy from a galaxy cluster incident on the mirror of a X ray telescope (Chandra to be specific) . The cluster has redshift z and at constant uniform temperature T

2. Relevant equations
    Specific Intensity of thermal bremsstrahlung : I∝Λ(ν)*T-1/2*exp(-hν/kT)
    z=(νemittedobserved)/νobserved
    3. The attempt at a solution
    At high temperatures the X ray emission is dominated by thermal bremsstrahlung.
    The average photon energy should be found via the integral ( ∫ I dν ) / ( ∫ [I/hν] dν ) from ν=0 to infinity, then that energy should be divided by (1+z) due to the redshift, but since the full expression is not given in the problem, it's not really a viable approach.

Therefore I'm left with the approximation approach. I think <E>=hv≈kT should be good enough since in the x-ray region, photons' momentum and energy is comparable to that of electrons, and that it seem to be the value at which I is equal to its average value (referring to the curve below).

The classical spectrum (valid for moderate temperature): https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe...ower2.svg/731px-Bremsstrahlung_power2.svg.png

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 13, 2016 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Galaxies radiate a lot more visible light than x-rays, and those two cannot be described by a single temperature. I don't think starting the integration at 0 will lead to a useful result.

You'll need a temperature value if you want to follow the approach of thermal emission. And probably the sensitivity range of Chandra, unless you really care about all the low-energetic photons.

4. Mar 14, 2016 #3
    Okay so I can effectively put the sensitivity range of chandra in my integration, then I~exp(-x) with the range. However exp(x)/x is still a nasty integral so I'll have to look up values of exponential integral.

And by thermal emission do you mean black-body emission?

5. Mar 14, 2016 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

If it is not black-body-like, you need to know more about the radiation.

6. Mar 14, 2016 #5
    I think that would be the braking radiation as given in OP

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted