Photon energy, momentum, and velocity

In summary, two photons with energies of 200 MeV and 100 MeV, traveling along the x-axis and y-axis respectively, have a total energy of 300 MeV. To determine the mass of a single particle with the same energy and momentum, the equations p=\frac{E}{c} and p={\gamma}mu can be used. However, the answer to part (B) is not u=c, but rather u=.74c. This is because momentum is a vector and must be added correctly.
warfreak131

Homework Statement

Suppose one photon has an energy of 200 MeV and it is traveling along the x-axis. Suppose another has an energy of 100 MeV and is traveling along the y-axis. (A) What is the total energy of this system. (The answer is 300 MeV) (B)If a single particle has this same energy and momentum, what would be its mass?

The answer is 200 MeV, I am having trouble reaching that answer.

Homework Equations

[tex]p=\frac{E}{c}[/tex] for a photon
[tex]p={\gamma}mu[/tex] for a particle with mass
[tex]E=cp[/tex] for a photon
[tex]E={\gamma}mc^{2}[/tex] for a moving particle with mass.

The Attempt at a Solution

Energy of the photon = energy of the moving particle:
[tex]cp={\gamma}mc^{2}[/tex]
[tex]300 MeV={\gamma}mc^{2}[/tex]

Momentum of the photon = momentum of the moving particle:
[tex]\frac{E}{c}={\gamma}mu[/tex]
[tex]\frac{300 MeV}{c}={\gamma}mu[/tex]

This is all I can do so far, after this I get stuck. If I continue, I get the result that u=c. The correct answer is u=.74c

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The total momentum of the system of the two photons is not 300 MeV. Momentum is a vector so you have to add the vectors in the correct way.

1. What is a photon?

A photon is a fundamental particle of light, which carries energy and momentum. It is also known as a quantum of electromagnetic radiation.

2. How is photon energy related to its frequency?

The energy of a photon is directly proportional to its frequency, as described by the equation E=hf, where E is energy, h is Planck's constant, and f is frequency.

3. Does a photon have mass?

No, a photon does not have mass. It is a massless particle, meaning it travels at the speed of light and has no rest mass.

4. What is the relationship between the momentum and velocity of a photon?

The momentum of a photon is equal to its energy divided by the speed of light. This means that the momentum and velocity of a photon are directly proportional.

5. Can a photon's energy, momentum, and velocity change?

Yes, a photon's energy, momentum, and velocity can change depending on factors such as its frequency, wavelength, and interactions with other particles.