Photon interaction cross section? What?

In summary, the conversation discusses the question of "Photon interaction cross section" and differentiates between the Compton Effect, Photoelectric Effect, and pair production. The term "cross section" refers to the probability of a photon interacting with matter in a specific way, and it depends on factors such as the type of interaction, photon energy, and material. The discussion also mentions that the Photoelectric Effect is more likely to occur at lower energies compared to the Compton Effect.
Declan
Photon interaction cross section? What?!?

Hey guys--

I'm practicing for the GRE, and I came across a question that has stuff that's not even in my textbook! I haven't found much from googling either.

Here is the question:

HbGEI.png

My instinct was to guess (C) because graphs I had seen of the Compton Effect had two peaks, representing the number of photons of a wavelength gotten at a certain angle. One peak stays the same, because they are ones that go really close to inner electrons and thus don't lose their energy, and the other peak moves based on the angle. So I thought curve 1 was the Compton Effect.

I also thought 3 was the Photoelectric because I know there is a linear relationship based on the frequency (K = h*freq - Workfunction). I couldn't find anything about the math involved in pair production, but I know that it doesn't start happening until the photon is of a certain energy (twice the electron rest energy), and energy means frequency here.

I am going insane...can someone enlighten me?

Thanks!

Answer:
(B). wtf.

edit: Here is what the only answer guide I could find said:

"Pair production only occurs above a certain energy on the order of MeV. Thus, all except choices
(B) and (C) remain."

Cool, I'm glad we agree.

"The photoelectric effect is dominant for low energies, so its cross-section must be line (1). Choose
choice (B)."

Huh?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

As you said, pair production can't happen until E(gamma)>2 me = 2* 511 keV = 1.02 MeV. So you immediately know that curve 2 is pair production, narrowing it down to (B) and (C). I think the total cross section for photoelectric scattering ~ 1/E^3 for large energies, while the total cross section for Compton scattering ~ 1/Sqrt(E) for large energies, so the correct answer is (B). At least, that's what I think. Anyone else?

Well, so far we all agree about the first part. I really just need to know what "Photon interaction cross section" is. If I had to quickly guess, I'd say it's some some of flux of interacting photons. That makes sense for the Compton Effect, and pair production...but I can't really imagine what it means for the Photoelectric Effect. I mean...the crux of it is that it doesn't matter the intensity of the incident photon beam, but that they're of a certain energy (frequency), right?

Declan said:
not even in my textbook!

This stuff is typically in intermediate-level "modern physics" textbooks. See for example p. 49 of Eisberg and Resnick, "Quantum Physics of Atoms, Molecules, Solids, Nuclei and Particles" which has a very similar diagram.

Declan said:
I really just need to know what "Photon interaction cross section" is.

"Cross section" is related to the probability that a photon interacts in a given way with matter. It depends on the type of interaction, the photon energy, and the type of material (lead, iron, whatever). In general, if a beam of N particles hits a "thin" target with thickness dx, the average number that interact in a particular way is given by

[tex]N \sigma n dx[/tex]

where [itex]\sigma[/itex] is the cross section for that process, and n is the number of individual "targets" (atoms, nuclei or whatever is relevant) per m3 in the target material (sometimes called the number density of targets).

Last edited:

jtbell said:
This stuff is typically in intermediate-level "modern physics" textbooks. See for example p. 49 of Eisberg and Resnick, "Quantum Physics of Atoms, Molecules, Solids, Nuclei and Particles" which has a very similar diagram.

"Cross section" is related to the probability that a photon interacts in a given way with matter. It depends on the type of interaction, the photon energy, and the type of material (lead, iron, whatever). In general, if a beam of N particles hits a "thin" target with thickness dx, the average number that interact in a particular way is given by

[tex]N \sigma n dx[/tex]

where [itex]\sigma[/itex] is the cross section for that process, and n is the number of individual "targets" (atoms, nuclei or whatever is relevant) per m3 in the target material (sometimes called the number density of targets).

Yeah, I searched everywhere in Modern Physics, by Krane, couldn't find any mention of it! Unless it's called something else...

Anyway, so that seems to be pretty much what I suspected. Given some cross section, how many of the photons are interacting. But I still don't get it then...what does "dominant" mean in "the Photoelectric Effect is dominant at lower energies" ?

I trust them and I wouldn't deceive myself that I found some error which people way smarter than myself missed, but...what? So confused.

Declan said:
what does "dominant" mean in "the Photoelectric Effect is dominant at lower energies" ?

It means the photoelectric effect is more likely than the Compton effect at lower energies. For any single photon, either effect is possible. The ratio of the probabilities equals the ratio of the cross sections. Which effect actually happens, is random, based on the probabilites.

What is photon interaction cross section?

Photon interaction cross section is a measure of the likelihood of a photon interacting with a particular material. It is a fundamental property that describes the probability of an interaction occurring between a photon and an atom, molecule, or nucleus in the material.

How is photon interaction cross section measured?

Photon interaction cross section is typically measured by conducting experiments that involve passing a beam of photons through a material and observing the resulting interactions. The cross section is then calculated by comparing the number of interactions to the number of photons that passed through the material.

What factors affect photon interaction cross section?

The photon interaction cross section is affected by several factors, including the energy and type of photons, the type of material, and the atomic structure of the material. Higher energy photons and materials with a higher atomic number generally have a larger cross section.

Why is photon interaction cross section important?

Photon interaction cross section is important for understanding and predicting how photons interact with matter. It is essential in fields such as medical imaging, radiation therapy, and nuclear physics. The cross section also plays a crucial role in developing radiation shielding and detecting and measuring radiation.

How is photon interaction cross section used in medical imaging?

In medical imaging, photon interaction cross section is used to determine the contrast and resolution of images produced by different types of imaging techniques such as X-rays, CT scans, and PET scans. It also helps in determining the appropriate dose of radiation needed for different types of imaging procedures.