Photons fired from the back of a moving spacecraft

In summary, a passenger firing a photon forward from the back of a spaceship traveling at 3/5c will take 5/4 seconds to reach the front of the spaceship in the reference frame of the spaceship. In the stationary frame, the time for the photon to reach the front of the spaceship will depend on the length of the spaceship perceived by the observer, with light speed ##c##, rather than the time dilatation.
Morgan8i6

Homework Statement

If a passenger at the back of a spaceship traveling at 3/5c fires a photon forward how long will it take to hit the front of the spaceship in the reference frame of the spaceship if it is 1 light second long? How long will it take in the stationary frame?

Homework Equations

T=t/(1-v^2/c^2)^1/2

The Attempt at a Solution

I completed the first half of the problem. Plugging in 1 second in for t (time it takes a photon to travel one light second) and 3/5c (the velocity of the reference frame) for v gives me 5/4 seconds. I just can't figure out what I should be inputting for the variables in the statuary reference frame. The answer sheet says a stationary observer would measure the time T to be 5/2 seconds.

Physics news on Phys.org
I completed the first half of the problem. Plugging in 1 second in for t (time it takes a photon to travel one light second) and 3/5c (the velocity of the reference frame) for v gives me 5/4 seconds.
No, that is not correct. In the reference frame of the spaceship, the spaceship is at rest. The 3/5c relative to some arbitrary observer somewhere else are completely irrelevant.

I just can't figure out what I should be inputting for the variables in the statuary reference frame.
You can use Newtonian mechanics here, if you like, if you calculate the length of the spaceship - as seen by the observer - with relativistic mechanics first.

Morgan8i6 said:
If a passenger at the back of a spaceship traveling at 3/5c fires a photon forward how long will it take to hit the front of the spaceship in the reference frame of the spaceship if it is 1 light second long? How long will it take in the stationary frame?

You should specify in which reference the ship is 1 light second long.

In the most natural case (1 second long is the proper length), then consider that ANY observer will see light with speed ##c##.

Also consider using for the second part of the problem, the length contraction instead of the time dilatation. Meaning, compute in the lab frame which would be the length perceived of the ship, and then use light speed ##c##.

1. What is a photon?

A photon is a fundamental particle of light that exhibits properties of both a particle and a wave. It has no mass and travels at the speed of light.

2. How are photons fired from the back of a moving spacecraft?

Photons can be fired from the back of a moving spacecraft using a photon thruster. This thruster converts electrical energy into photons and then directs them out of the back of the spacecraft, providing thrust in the opposite direction.

3. Why are photons fired from the back of a moving spacecraft?

Photons are fired from the back of a moving spacecraft to provide propulsion and change the spacecraft's velocity. This can be useful for maneuvering in space or for achieving higher speeds.

4. Can photons be fired from the front or sides of a moving spacecraft?

Yes, photons can be fired from any direction on a moving spacecraft. However, firing them from the front or sides may not provide the same level of propulsion as firing them from the back.

5. What is the advantage of using photons for propulsion in space?

The advantage of using photons for propulsion in space is that they have no mass, so they can be accelerated to very high speeds without requiring a large amount of fuel. This makes them a more efficient form of propulsion compared to traditional rocket engines.