Finding the relativistic speed of a spacecraft

In summary, the spacecraft traveling to a star located 1 lightyear away would have to fly at a speed of 1/sqrt(2) times the speed of light. The journey would take 4 years for an observer on Earth.
insipiens

Homework Statement

If a spacecraft is traveling to a star which is located at a distance of 1 lightyear and it would take the spacecraft 1 year to reach the star in its own frame, how fast would the spacecraft actually fly? Also, how long would the journey take for an observer on Earth (t_e)?
t_sc = 1 y
L_e = 1 ly
t_e = ?

Homework Equations

gamma = 1/sqrt(1-v^2/c^2)
beta = v^2/c^2
t_sc = t_e / gamma
L_sc = L_e /gamma

The Attempt at a Solution

I would start by saying that the L_e = v * t_e (v = the velocity). After throwing everything around, I get that the speed should be 25% of the speed of light, which I don't actually think is correct.
My calculations so far:
L_e = t_e * v = t_sc *v *gamma
L_e / t_sc = c = v * gamma
1/gamma^2 = beta^2
1-beta^2 = beta^2 --> beta = 1/4
Hence the time on Earth should be 4 years.
Thanks for everyone willing to help me!
Cheers,
Merlin

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi @insipiens and welcome to PF.

Your method is correct, but the algebra is not.
insipiens said:
beta = v^2/c^2
You mean beta2=v2/c2 otherwise
insipiens said:
1/gamma^2 = beta^2
would not be correct. This is a minor point. More importantly if 1-beta^2 = beta^2, what is beta2? What is beta?

Likes insipiens
Thank you, you are absolutely right. I guess I was just too quick in my head and that is why I thought that sqrt(1/2)=1/4.
Now, if 1-beta^2 = beta^2, then
1/2 = beta^2 and
beta = 1/sqrt(2)
That also sounds much more reasonable. Thanks again!

1. How is relativistic speed defined for a spacecraft?

Relativistic speed for a spacecraft is defined as the speed at which the spacecraft is traveling relative to an observer, taking into account the effects of special relativity. This means that the speed of light and the observer's frame of reference are considered when calculating the spacecraft's speed.

2. What is the formula for calculating relativistic speed?

The formula for calculating relativistic speed is v = c * tanh (arctanh (v/c)), where v is the spacecraft's speed and c is the speed of light. This formula takes into account the effects of time dilation and length contraction.

3. Can a spacecraft travel at the speed of light?

No, according to the theory of special relativity, the speed of light is the maximum speed that can be reached by any object. As an object approaches the speed of light, it would require an infinite amount of energy to accelerate it further.

4. How does relativistic speed affect time and space for a spacecraft?

As a spacecraft approaches relativistic speeds, time and space become distorted. The concept of time becomes relative, meaning that time will pass differently for the spacecraft than it does for an observer on Earth. Additionally, space will appear to contract in the direction of travel for the spacecraft.

5. What are some real-world examples of spacecraft reaching relativistic speeds?

One example is the Voyager 1 spacecraft, which is currently traveling at a speed of about 17 kilometers per second, or 0.0057% of the speed of light. Another example is the New Horizons spacecraft, which reached a speed of about 16.26 kilometers per second during its flyby of Pluto in 2015.