Physic:Calculating mass of one rail car?

• Thread starter okgo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Car Mass
In summary, the conversation is discussing calculating the mass of one rail car. The equation used to calculate the mass is 10000N/10car=1000N*1m/s^2=1000kg, but it is causing confusion. The force exerted on the 11th car is also mentioned, but it is unclear who checked off 'c' and the need for clarification from the professor is mentioned.
okgo
http://www.screencast.com/users/trinhn812/folders/Jing/media/0852e68e-acef-49b1-a54d-39289386b978

I'm confused. Why isn't it 10000N/10car=1000N*1m/s^2=1000kg

Isn't the force The force exerted on the 11th car is moving 10 cars, not just one.

Physics news on Phys.org
okgo said:
http://www.screencast.com/users/trinhn812/folders/Jing/media/0852e68e-acef-49b1-a54d-39289386b978

I'm confused. Why isn't it 10000N/10car=1000N*1m/s^2=1000kg
this equation is very confusing
Isn't the force The force exerted on the 11th car is moving 10 cars, not just one.
yes, who checked off 'c'?

It was a practice exam online with the answer key. I guess I will tell the professor

1. How do you calculate the mass of one rail car?

To calculate the mass of one rail car, you need to know the weight and acceleration of the car. You can use the equation F=ma, where F is the force, m is the mass, and a is the acceleration. You can then rearrange the equation to solve for the mass, which would be m=F/a.

2. What units should be used when calculating the mass of a rail car?

The units used to calculate the mass of a rail car should be consistent. This means that the weight should be in Newtons (N), the acceleration in meters per second squared (m/s^2), and the mass in kilograms (kg).

3. How accurate are the calculations for the mass of a rail car?

The accuracy of the mass calculation depends on the accuracy of the measurements used. If the weight and acceleration are measured accurately, then the mass calculation will also be accurate. It is important to use precise instruments and follow proper measurement techniques for the most accurate results.

4. Can the mass of a rail car change?

Yes, the mass of a rail car can change. Factors such as the amount of cargo on the car, changes in temperature, and wear and tear on the car can affect its mass. It is important to recalculate the mass whenever there are significant changes to these factors.

5. How can the mass of one rail car be used in other calculations?

The mass of a rail car can be used in various calculations related to its movement, such as determining the force needed to accelerate or decelerate it, or the amount of energy required to move it a certain distance. It can also be used to compare the mass of different rail cars or to estimate the total weight of a train.

Back