1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physical meaning of a Metre-Second? [or (Kg · s) or (N · s) ]

1. May 17, 2013 #1
    We all understand what metres PER second (m/s) physically means... but,
    What I was wondering was what does a 'metre-second' actually mean? Or does it have a physical meaning at all!

As an example:

If we take the units for Dynamic viscosity we have:

Kilogram per metre second ( Kg / m.s )

On a side note, in relation to my above example:
    The SI physical unit of dynamic viscosity is the pascal-second (Pa·s), which is identical to
    Kg. m-1.s-1 = Kg / (m s)

Another example, of a similar type, would be the standard unit of momentum, which is:
    Kilogram-metre per second (kg · m/s or kg · m · s-1 ) which in SI units is equal to Newton-second (N · s)

In this example we have both a Kilogram-metre and, in SI, a Newton-second!
    I can easily conceptualise the idea of, say, 1 Metre every 1 Second (m/s) but Im finding it hard to conceptualise this concept!

How exactly could one have, in the physical world, a metre-second (m · s), kilogram-metre (Kg · m) or Newton-second (N · s)?

2. jcsd
  3. May 17, 2013 #2

jbriggs444

Science Advisor

If you could snort a white powdery substance from the surface of a mirrored conveyer belt moving at a fixed speed using a stationary rolled up piece of currency with a diameter measured in meters and had a certain number of seconds to do so, the "meter second" could be used as a relevant measure.

4. May 17, 2013 #3

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

:rofl: :rofl:

Never used metre-second but for something like the N*s, it would be the force acting over a period of time such that the Impulse = Force*time

For something like kg-m, this could be something like a mass acting a distance. For example, if you have a shaft with an unbalance in it (center of rotation does not coincide to where the mass acts), you quantify the unbalance as a mass-eccentricity.

Mass eccentricity me = mass*distance, usually given in gram-cm or some unit like that.

5. May 17, 2013 #4
    would the force acting over a period of time not be Newtons per second ( N/s )?

Last edited: May 17, 2013
  6. May 17, 2013 #5

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

That would give you the rate of change of force. A typical Force-time graph looks like this:

09_03Figure.jpg

The area under the graph gives the impulse which is the same as the change in momentum.

7. May 18, 2013 #6
    Very good!
    I thought of a tunnel's price (tunnel lenght multiplied time of realization) but you beat me...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook