Physically acceptable solutions to the Schroedinger equation?

• I
  • Thread starter etotheipi
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the wave function ##\Psi(x, t)## of a particle moving along one dimension and its satisfaction of the differential equation $$i\hbar \frac{\partial \Psi}{\partial t} = -\frac{\hbar^2}{2m}\frac{\partial^2 \Psi}{\partial x^2} + V(x)\Psi$$ It is mentioned that assuming a general form ##\Psi = Ae^{i(kx - \omega t)}## will result in physically correct solutions. However, it is questioned whether all other possible forms for ##\Psi## should be discarded. It is clarified that these solutions are for ##V(x) = 0## and that the T
etotheipi
I apologise in advance if this is a silly question! We are aware that the wave function ##\Psi(x, t)## of a particle moving along one dimension will satisfy the differential equation$$i\hbar \frac{\partial \Psi}{\partial t} = -\frac{\hbar^2}{2m}\frac{\partial^2 \Psi}{\partial x^2} + V(x)\Psi$$We are told that if we assume a general form ##\Psi = Ae^{i(kx - \omega t)}## (Edit, cred. PeroK: For ##V(x) = 0##) then the equation will spit out physically correct results. But what about all of the other possible forms for ##\Psi##, do we just discard them? There are some examples that we can discard immediately, e.g. something like ##\Psi = Ae^{i(x - vt)}## that is not dimensionally homogenous. More generally if we run other forms than ##Ae^{i(kx-\omega t)}## through the equation then whilst we can find mathematically acceptable solutions, the results are silly physically (for starters, they don't agree with with the De Broglie relations).

Are there any other forms for ##\Psi## that give valid results?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
etotheipi said:
I apologise in advance if this is a silly question! We are aware that the wave function ##\Psi(x, t)## of a particle moving along one dimension will satisfy the differential equation$$i\hbar \frac{\partial \Psi}{\partial t} = -\frac{\hbar^2}{2m}\frac{\partial^2 \Psi}{\partial x^2} + V(x)\Psi$$We are told that if we assume a general form ##\Psi = Ae^{i(kx - \omega t)}##, then the equation will spit out physically correct results. But what about all of the other possible forms for ##\Psi##, do we just discard them? There are some examples that we can discard immediately, e.g. something like ##\Psi = Ae^{i(x - vt)}## that is not dimensionally homogenous. More generally if we run other forms than ##Ae^{i(kx-\omega t)}## through the equation then whilst we can find mathematically acceptable solutions, the results are silly physically (for starters, they don't agree with with the De Broglie relations).

Are there any other forms for ##\Psi## that give valid results?
Are you talking about solutions for ##V(x) = 0##? Or, are you talking about separation of variables for a general time-independent potential ##V(x)##?

PeroK said:
Are you talking about solutions for ##V(x) = 0##? Or, are you talking about separation of variables for a general time-independent potential ##V(x)##?

I was just thinking about general solutions for a particle in any old arbitrary potential. Is that a bit too vague?

etotheipi said:
I was just thinking about general solutions for a particle in any old arbitrary potential. Is that a bit too vague?
No, but they won't have solutions of the form ##Ae^{i(kx - \omega t)}##.

Those solutions are for the free particle where ##V(x) = 0##.

Likes etotheipi
Oh hang on, yes you're right, I'm being thick ?:) . So yes, I guess I am restricting this to ##V(x) = 0##.

etotheipi said:
Oh hang on, yes you're right, I'm being thick ?:) . So yes, I guess I am restricting this to ##V(x) = 0##.
So, the question is whether all solutions must be of this form?

Likes etotheipi
Actually I realize now that the question is flawed. Of course all solutions must be like that. Don't know what I was thinking. Sorry to be a pain!

etotheipi said:
Yes. Sorry :doh:
If you tackle the general equation (with ##V(x)##) using separation of variables, then you get the common form of the time-dependent function: ##e^{-iwt}## or ##e^{-iEt/\hbar}##. And, you get the TISE (time-independent Schroedinger equation):
$$-\frac{\hbar^2}{2m}\frac{d^2 \psi(x)}{d x^2} + V(x)\psi(x) = E\psi(x)$$
In the special case where ##V(x) = 0##, you have solutions:
$$\psi(x) = Ae^{ikx} + Be^{-ikx}$$
Where ##k = \frac{\sqrt{2mE}}{\hbar}##.

And that is more or less it. You need to appeal to the theory of differential equations to tell you that any other other solutions must be linear combinations of these basis solutions. Note that in all cases, as the SDE is linear, you can superimpose solutions with different energies and you still have a solution. Another mathematical technique (non separation of variables) may yield a set of solutions that look different, but ultimately they must be linear combinations of the basis solutions we found by separation of variables.

Note that the physical importance of these particular solutions is that they are energy eigenstates.

Likes dextercioby and etotheipi
etotheipi said:
Actually I realize now that the question is flawed. Of course all solutions must be like that. Don't know what I was thinking. Sorry to be a pain!
See above, from the linearity of the SDE you could find a set of solutions that look very different, but must be a linear combination of the energy eigenstates.

Likes etotheipi
You're right about the differential equations, yes. I was getting muddled about why the coefficients always magically come out to be ##k## and ##\omega## with their usual meanings, but this is of course the De Broglie hypothesis and the SE was itself built to be consistent with this in the first place. I think I must get more sleep, thanks for your patience 😁

Likes vanhees71, berkeman and PeroK

1. What is the Schrödinger equation?

The Schrödinger equation is a mathematical equation that describes the behavior of quantum mechanical systems, such as atoms and molecules. It was developed by Austrian physicist Erwin Schrödinger in 1925.

2. What does it mean for a solution to be "physically acceptable"?

A physically acceptable solution to the Schrödinger equation is one that satisfies certain criteria, such as being continuous and well-behaved, having finite energy, and describing a physically realistic system. These criteria ensure that the solution accurately reflects the behavior of the quantum system being studied.

3. How are physically acceptable solutions to the Schrödinger equation determined?

Physically acceptable solutions to the Schrödinger equation are typically determined through mathematical techniques such as perturbation theory, variational methods, and numerical methods. These methods allow scientists to solve the equation and find solutions that meet the necessary criteria.

4. Why is it important to find physically acceptable solutions to the Schrödinger equation?

Finding physically acceptable solutions to the Schrödinger equation is crucial for understanding the behavior of quantum systems and making accurate predictions about their properties. These solutions provide insight into the fundamental nature of matter and help scientists develop new technologies and applications based on quantum mechanics.

5. Are there any limitations to the Schrödinger equation and its physically acceptable solutions?

While the Schrödinger equation and its solutions have been incredibly successful in describing and predicting the behavior of quantum systems, there are some limitations. For example, it does not account for relativistic effects or interactions between particles. As such, it is often used in conjunction with other theories, such as quantum field theory, to provide a more complete understanding of physical phenomena.