Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physicist claims victory over traffic ticket with physics paper

1. Apr 13, 2012 #1
    http://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motora...r-traffic-ticket-physics-paper-151808710.html

A physicist at the University of California San Diego used his knowledge of measuring bodies in motion to show in court why he couldn't be guilty of a ticket for failing to halt at a stop sign. The argument, now a four-page paper delving into the differences between angular and linear motion, supposedly got the physicist out of a $400 ticket. If you want to use this excuse, you'll have to learn a little math -- and some powers of persuasion.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2012 #2

Pythagorean

Gold Member

4. Apr 13, 2012 #3
    Ha! I imagine the judges were just confused by his explanation and just let him go on that point. But I don't know whether or not he was just bullgarbageting or not. Anybody on this forum want to comment on its validity?

5. Apr 13, 2012 #4

Pengwuino

Gold Member

This lays the foundation for the end to all moving violations.

6. Apr 13, 2012 #5

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

He couldn't be seen stopping because a car was in the way? Hmmm. Saying he defeated this with physics is at least an overstatement.

7. Apr 13, 2012 #6

Pythagorean

Gold Member

That's a psychologists area, not a physicists!

8. Apr 13, 2012 #7

jhae2.718

Gold Member

That is awesome.

9. Apr 13, 2012 #8

Curious3141

Homework Helper

Judge to physicist: "If I dismiss the ticket, will you shut up?"

Best comment on that site. And it's probably what happened. :biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook