1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics 12 law or conservation of energy

1. Jun 28, 2013 #1
    Q:A 46 g steel marble collides obliquely with an identical stationary marble, and continues
    at 55 to its original direction. The collision is perfectly elastic. What is the angle between
    the direction taken by the target ball and the original direction of the incident ball?

I know the collision being elastic means the kinetic energy is conserved, but I am completely lost on how to solve this question I tried drawing the vectors tip to tail but I didn't know how I would find theta because I don't know any of the sides.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 28, 2013 #2
    Two marbles and a ball? The problem is not clear.

4. Jun 28, 2013 #3

gneill

Staff: Mentor

What else is conserved in collisions? It's a vector quantity, so it must be conserved separately in any given direction (that means the x-component sums are conserved, and the y-component sums are conserved separately). Given equally massed projectiles, what does that tell you about the required symmetry of the resulting trajectories?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted