Physics 12 law or conservation of energy

In summary, the problem involves a collision between two identical stationary marbles, one of which is initially moving obliquely at a 55 degree angle. The collision is perfectly elastic, meaning that the kinetic energy is conserved. The angle between the direction taken by the target marble and the original direction of the incident marble can be found by considering the conservation of momentum and the symmetry of the resulting trajectories.
gdhillon
Q:A 46 g steel marble collides obliquely with an identical stationary marble, and continues
at 55 to its original direction. The collision is perfectly elastic. What is the angle between
the direction taken by the target ball and the original direction of the incident ball?

I know the collision being elastic means the kinetic energy is conserved, but I am completely lost on how to solve this question I tried drawing the vectors tip to tail but I didn't know how I would find theta because I don't know any of the sides.

Physics news on Phys.org
gdhillon said:
Q:A 46 g steel marble collides obliquely with an identical stationary marble, and continues
at 55 to its original direction. The collision is perfectly elastic. What is the angle between
the direction taken by the target ball and the original direction of the incident ball?

Two marbles and a ball? The problem is not clear.

gdhillon said:

I know the collision being elastic means the kinetic energy is conserved, but I am completely lost on how to solve this question I tried drawing the vectors tip to tail but I didn't know how I would find theta because I don't know any of the sides.

What else is conserved in collisions? It's a vector quantity, so it must be conserved separately in any given direction (that means the x-component sums are conserved, and the y-component sums are conserved separately). Given equally massed projectiles, what does that tell you about the required symmetry of the resulting trajectories?

1. What is the law of conservation of energy?

The law of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but it can be transferred from one form to another.

2. How does the law of conservation of energy apply to Physics 12?

In Physics 12, the law of conservation of energy is used to analyze and understand the transfer and transformation of energy in various systems, such as mechanical, thermal, and electrical systems.

3. What are some examples of the law of conservation of energy in action?

Some common examples of the law of conservation of energy include a pendulum swinging back and forth, a roller coaster moving along a track, and a light bulb emitting light and heat.

4. How is the law of conservation of energy related to the first law of thermodynamics?

The first law of thermodynamics is a specific application of the law of conservation of energy, stating that the total energy within a closed system remains constant. This includes both the energy transferred and transformed within the system.

5. Can the law of conservation of energy be violated?

No, the law of conservation of energy is a fundamental principle of physics and has been proven to hold true in all observed physical phenomena. It is a universally accepted law and cannot be violated.